Coronavirus

Tools    

Want to be clear I think people should stay home but dont think need close down buisnesses and make Gov order people to stay at home. People can do smart safe things. I stay at home most the time anyways cause not much to do round here. Also if I had Big Money and a nice pool I wanna stay home too like these actors. Im just saying people have common since without need to force people to stay home. Spring Breakers are not the smart people i mean.

You ready? You look ready.
This is America. We don't like having our freedom curtailed. So we definitely need to have the government say **** has got to close.

As much as I hate it I really wish they had been tougher on group gatherings sooner. And I still wish they'd be tougher on it. It's the only way we are going to stop this **** from spreading.

Much better for EVERYONE to be stuck at home waiting it out than just a half baked measure that sees the virus continue to spread because some people couldn't stare at their phone more. I mean, geez, most of us are already staring at it too much. A little more ain't going to kill us. A virus will.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well what I don't understand is why are people so concerned about this virus that they are panicking, but no one is alarmed at other ones, such as regular flus, chickenpox, HIV, etc. What makes corona, the devil compared to those ones?

The only thing about this is good is that the Serial Killers and Drug dealers have to stay home at night but also when the all go sign to go back to normal happens its gonna be a Cops nightmare. People can and should stay home but at same time Trump and many others know this country cannot afford to keep schools and night buisnesses sports gatherings and movies from being made for so long.By May or June people will have to see a somewhat normal America back

The whole idea of a 1,000 doller pay out to all poor and middle class sounds nice but that only helps one month to those who have pay bills. If your ordered to stay home and cannot work those people should be allowed to have water gas and electric garanteed till its over.

Well what I don't understand is why are people so concerned about this virus that they are panicking, but no one is alarmed at other ones, such as regular flus, chickenpox, HIV, etc. What makes corona, the devil compared to those ones?
Also just in Chicago Alone 450 people die a year to crime and the biggest killer of all people is Cancer. And likely allot of people getting sick are likely cancer fighters weak on chemo or kidney and heart disease patients.

HIV is not spread through air.

Vaccination has made sure that chickenpox - a huge killer in the past- is not longer a major threat. Same for Flu, even though it has its share of annual deaths. There are vaccines and remedies available for it.

Unless we create a proper cure for Corona, instead of using multiple drugs, and develop a working vaccine, this is a thing that needs to be taken seriously.

And when you look at the rate at which it is spreading and the new pattern of serious cases in Italy, France and Holland, where even young people are getting critically affected this really needs to be taken seriously.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
If you love dad jokes, you'll love "parents at home with kids" jokes and memes.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay. I didn't think they will invent a vaccine for corona since they have failed to invent one for other viruses such as a cold or HIV. But they might pull it off...

Reading more reports today about hydroxychloroquine that are demonstrating effectiveness.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...irus-treatment

Not the best article, and it's clearly still early to call this a "cure", but there are more articles like this

My county finally issued a shelter at home order, but veterinary clinics are "essential" so I still have a job.

I've got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm glad to still have income. On the other, this leaves me more at risk and chronic illness compounds that risk. Scary stuff.

Well, you gave a huge list, so the answer varies for each one, but it's usually some or all of:

1) this kills people at a higher rate
2) this is novel and nobody has immunity to it
3) this spreads faster or easier

COVID-19 is particularly dangerous, nobody is immune to it, and it's not like there's some high-risk behavior you can avoid to dramatically lower your chances of getting it. Just living even a mostly sheltered life basically ensures you will.

There's also the hospital burden. The fact that nobody is immune means places like Italy are having their health care system overwhelmed, which has very dangerous ripple effects for obvious reasons. Nobody has enough respirators for the number of people likely to contract this in a very short period of time.

Efficient systems are almost always overwhelmed by massive spikes in demand for something, and this is that. All the other things you mentioned do not lead to massive demand spikes.

Oh okay. I didn't think they will invent a vaccine for corona since they have failed to invent one for other viruses such as a cold or HIV. But they might pull it off...
They can't vaccinate the cold because every cold is different. There is no one Cold. When you get one, you're getting a different one, even if the symptoms are basically the same.

As for HIV, it's not cured, but a lot of people live with it for a very, very long time now, thanks to a cocktail of drugs and treatments.

Ive still got a slight sore throat and dry cough and had a couple of sneezes and more times I thought I would sneeze but didn't ... I was really quite scared for a couple of days but had to stop living in fear and depression as I realised that could kill me faster than the virus if it does, Que Sera, Sera .
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Portugal is since yesterday on state of emergency. Recent news say we are going to be in quarantine. No more work for me. I'm following the news in American, I don't think they are ready, it's going to be bad, Italy/China bad or worse.

Well In Seattle some people with Corona were given experimental injections and a women said she felt great. Its just a test no real vaccine. But I do think there is now a shot for the Swine Flu and Bird Flu. How things happen is we figure a new shot for the next flu strand but usually after it runs its course. People hope likely now is will the spring get hot enough for this virus to die. Or is there something in the spring that grows that ends most viruses.

Ned, I think it's important not to just spread lots of secondhand stuff, if you can help it. The stream-of-consciousness stuff is hard to follow, as well. And some of it's false: they were definitely not just putting out bad news. The White House, as one would expect, is explicitly telling people to be calm and emphasizing the steps they're taking to prepare.

And the facile comparisons to other unrelated things that kill people don't matter: those things don't have the capacity to transmit to anyone without warning at this speed, and/or overwhelm our health care system.

You ready? You look ready.
Well, they made the decision to send our international students home. That's it for the school year.

Also, this virus is just one of hundreds floating around in animals. If we don't learn from this and start preparing by studying animal viruses. We will be right back here when the next one jumps species.

Well, you gave a huge list, so the answer varies for each one, but it's usually some or all of:

1) this kills people at a higher rate
2) this is novel and nobody has immunity to it
3) this spreads faster or easier

COVID-19 is particularly dangerous, nobody is immune to it, and it's not like there's some high-risk behavior you can avoid to dramatically lower your chances of getting it. Just living even a mostly sheltered life basically ensures you will.

There's also the hospital burden. The fact that nobody is immune means places like Italy are having their health care system overwhelmed, which has very dangerous ripple effects for obvious reasons. Nobody has enough respirators for the number of people likely to contract this in a very short period of time.

Efficient systems are almost always overwhelmed by massive spikes in demand for something, and this is that. All the other things you mentioned do not lead to massive demand spikes.
Now your spinning the new negative stuff too much. Your not talking about people treated and surviving and some people must be immune to it if not thousands been dead by the time this country was ready for it.
Its an Air Born killer but there is allot of death in this world. If Gov can call for things to close then why not pass a bill for no guns. I remember the Swine flu it killed lots of people just like this but we had better Government leaders. Say What Will But Clinton then Bush cared about the american people.

I'm not "spinning," someone asked a question, so I answered it.

"It kills people but there's a lot of death in the world" is not a savvy, wordly thing to say. It's a bizarre thing to say.

"If they can close things why can't they ban guns?" Because of the Constitution. There's a long legal history of the Supreme Court supporting Governors' police power. I can link you to more about this if you're interested, but it feels like you're just saying whatever's popping into your mind.