Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Account terminated on request
Sleeper -

they really let Woody Allen do his own version of Idiocracy huh
LOL.

Keep in mind that RT gives Sleeper a tomatometer of 100% (not a common occurence----the Godfather is at 98%) and the audience gives it an 81%.

This is a movie that I'm glad to have seen when I was very young: it allowed me to see it through with eyes that are impressed by slapstick.

I remember laughing and laughing and laughing, even if I didn't understand the more adult parts of it (Orgasmatron).

"We're doctors, we're not imposters!" .....just announced outright. Friggen genius IMO.

I think Take the Money and Run sometimes gets viewed negatively too.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Stanno tutti bene - 6.5/10
Marcello Mastroianni is good as usual, but there wasn't enough to justify this being 2 hours. A little boring, but the last 1/3 of the movie was good.

THE GOOD DINOSAUR
(2015)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Welcome to the human race...
LOL.

Keep in mind that RT gives Sleeper a tomatometer of 100% (not a common occurence----the Godfather is at 98%) and the audience gives it an 81%.

This is a movie that I'm glad to have seen when I was very young: it allowed me to see it through with eyes that are impressed by slapstick.

I remember laughing and laughing and laughing, even if I didn't understand the more adult parts of it (Orgasmatron).

"We're doctors, we're not imposters!" .....just announced outright. Friggen genius IMO.

I think Take the Money and Run sometimes gets viewed negatively too.
Tomatometers aren't 100% reliable, anyway - how many critics were polled on Sleeper versus how many on The Godfather? The fewer there are, the less chance there is of there being a dissenting opinion bringing the percentage down. I went in knowing it was an acclaimed movie but keeping that in mind isn't going to guarantee that I'm going to like it personally.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I've disliked plenty of acclaimed movies before and I daresay I don't even like most of the Allen movies I've seen anyway - I wanted to like this one because of the whole sci-fi angle but I found it an unfunny drag more often than not (though it does have a few decent moments).

Dead Souls -

Stark and exhausting.

Account terminated on request
Tomatometers aren't 100% reliable, anyway
Sure. Nothing is. Siskel and Ebert changed their minds many times, and even had "specials" about it.

- how many critics were polled on Sleeper versus how many on The Godfather?
Makes sense. However, at least the rumor is that RT is immune to payouts, unlike other sources. Grain of salt and all that.

I've disliked plenty of acclaimed movies before
Lord, me too.

and I daresay I don't even like most of the Allen movies I've seen anyway - I wanted to like this one because of the whole sci-fi angle but I found it an unfunny drag more often than not (though it does have a few decent moments).
I think my love for it is at least partly because I saw it close to when it came out. I've seen it since and do recognize why today's audience would think that the slapstick is "too slapstick" or something.

Tomatometers aren't 100% reliable, anyway - how many critics were polled on Sleeper versus how many on The Godfather? The fewer there are, the less chance there is of there being a dissenting opinion bringing the percentage down. I went in knowing it was an acclaimed movie but keeping that in mind isn't going to guarantee that I'm going to like it personally.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I've disliked plenty of acclaimed movies before and I daresay I don't even like most of the Allen movies I've seen anyway - I wanted to like this one because of the whole sci-fi angle but I found it an unfunny drag more often than not (though it does have a few decent moments).
Also a bad site because of the system of 'rotten' and 'fresh'. It's too broad. I mean it's so broad that you can have a 100% fresh movie where all the critics thought it was 'just ok'. Then you can have a movie with a 0% score where all the critics thought it was simply mediocre.

Leprechaun: Origins
(Zach Lipovsky, 2014)

Leprechaun: Origins is so terrible that I feel the urge to retroactively boost my rating for every previous movie in the franchise. There's nothing wrong with rebooting the series with a darker, more traditional approach, but the filmmakers have completely sapped their product of personality by shunning the so-bad-it's-good campiness of the earlier films in favor of one of the most unoriginal creature-features I've ever seen.

Replacing Warwick Davis is Vince McMahon's illegitimate son, WWE Superstar Hornswoggle, who receives top billing despite being indistinguishable underneath a mountain of latex and rubber. This rebooted version of the leprechaun is mute and often out of focus, so for all we know the former Cruiserweight Champion spent the entire movie hiding underneath a wrestling ring while someone else of diminutive stature ran around fake Ireland pretending to be a cave-dweller from The Descent. Besides a lust for gold, this monster shares zero similarities with the Warwick Davis iterations, nor does it resemble an actual f**king leprechaun. Generic Creature: Blatant Cash Grab of an Established Franchise would've been a more apt title.

The other Leprechaun movies might've been poorly made, but at least they possessed a modicum of charm and creativity. Origins is built entirely of tropes and clichés. There's not a single moment in this film that doesn't feel recycled from a thousand slashers and creature-features to come before it, making every story beat boringly predictable, every character wearisomely familiar. The closest we get to an "origin" is a lazily placed mythology book that the characters read for a quick exposition dump. Cinematography is ugly and washed out. Camera work is shoddy and frenetic, as it attempts to hide the production's cheapness. A major character randomly disappears without explanation. Acting is adequate, which is probably the closest thing to praise I can give this abomination. If not for the explicit gore, I would've mistaken this for a SyFy made-for-TV production. (Fittingly, that's the exact route that the series would subsequently take.) Leprechaun: Origins is an insult to audiences, an insult to horror, an insult to leprechauns. It is the personification of lazy, unoriginal filmmaking.

Best Kill: Spinal Rip

I watched Mandy a couple days ago. I was excited to watch the film when I first heard about it, then, one of my friends told me he didn't like it (and he and I are fairly like minded), and I feel like my enthusiasm waned. When I found it in the bargain bin section at Wal-Mart, however, I decided to scoop it and give it a whirl.

I can see why my friend didn't like it, but I can also see why a lot of others did. The cinematography is aesthetically appeasing, creating a fever-pitch, almost neo-noir aesthetic, and is one of the prettiest horrors I have seen in a while. I do feel that it didn't put its best foot forward, however. I honestly believe the first hour of the film could have been either downright cut or significantly trimmed down into a 20-minute stretch. It is meant to establish the cult and the chemistry between Nicholas Cage's character and his wife, but, man, it felt humdrum, nonsensical, and tedious. After the first hour, I feel like the film establishes itself a lot better. Cage is bat-**** and hunting down cult members. That's when the film mostly aligns with what I wanted from it. The costume design and special-effects are zany and over-the-top and while I think it may lack some discipline in-terms of reeling back its eccentricities, that may add to the surrealism of the experience for some. I modest recommendation. At the very least, it takes risks more than a lot of horror fare.

I absolutely hated it. Dull for the most part. The villain didn't seem to be menacing. And if it's the Gore, it didn't have that much anyway by modern standards.

Habit (2017)

Limited little Brit horror. Pretty predictable but performances were passable (alot of Ps in that sentence!)

Luz (2018)

A German horror (sort of, I guess) that spends most of its short running time intently trying to be a modern theatrical art-house movie. The idea isn't half-bad and there's enough good stuff to keep it above the bad category, but ultimately it fails to impress. At least they mangled the Lord's Prayer nicely.

Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

Norton wrote, directed and starred in this flick. Think he was attached to star in the film way back in 1999. He went on Rogan and had a big talk with him about it if that interests anyone, not that usual fake late night talk. Anyways, it seemed to be a big passion project for Norton. So what were the results?

Meh. It's worth a watch I think. He got all his buddies to help him out and star in it. Alec Baldwin, Bruce Willis, Willem Dafoe etc. The movie is perfectly serviceable and can be very entertaining at spots. Norton plays a private investigator with Tourette's Syndrome when his boss he works for gets killed. Anyways Norton is a weirdo but his brain remembers everything and he goes about trying to figure out who killed his boss. The mystery keeps you engaged long enough to stay interested. The minutiae of the story can be sort of difficult to follow, repeat viewings may help. Here is the deal. It's a perfectly adequately crafted crime/mystery/thriller set in the 50s in NY. But it never quite reaches memorable levels. If you are looking for something new to watch for a night it will certainly be worth your time, but you probably won't be running to watch it again anytime soon.

However, Norton's performance was amazing. He should have been nominated for an Oscar IMO. I absolutely bought into his character from the jump. He completely vanishes into this investigator with this infliction. I think it's one of his best performances which is saying a lot. It's a shame he didn't get more love for this. His performance alone is worth putting the movie on, so if you are a Norton fan you won't be let down.

I'd give it 2.8 out of 5

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Outbreak (1995)

Lol I couldn't resist. It was on Netflix front page , wonder why? Never accuse Hollywood of taking advantage of circumstances ha. Well I fell for it. Hadn't seen it since I was probably like 10. So adult eyes and our current circumstances along with me being in the medical field now I'd have a fresh perspective on it.

Man it didn't disappoint haha. The movie is absolutely ridiculous in an awful entertaining way :laughing:. The whole premise is just so absurd you can't help but to be entertained and Hoffman doesn't mail it in lol. He gives actually a pretty decent performance. Cuba Gooding is so over the top it kept me laughing.

Listen with everything that's going on with the Corona Virus it was nice to add some levity to it with this crazy ass movie. It's definitely a guilty pleasure now. It's such a 90s movie.

I'd give it a 2 out of 5. It's terrible, but in a good entertaining way

I got bored after and made a poster. Going to hell for the poster.

Queen and Slim (2019)

First time rewatching, and it still holds its place as one of my favorites from last year. It has a misstep or two, but the overall simple, human storytelling it contains was really captivating to me.

Little Women (2017)

Much, much better than Greta Gerwig's Little Women (2019), and it's also directed by a woman, written by women, produced by a woman. So why didn't this get praise? Well maybe because it aired as a 3 part, 1 hour Masterpiece theater mini series. But on DVD it watches like a 3 hour movie. I've seen every film version of Little Women. I'm partial to the 1994 version, but even though this one didn't follow the book precisely, it still did a great job of bringing the characters to life and telling the time honored story with a fresh feeling that still respected the time frame the story was written in. The sets, the costumes, the country side all looks perfect and one would think this was a huge budget production.

++

⬆️ So who directed this?

Little Women (2017)

Much, much better than Greta Gerwig's Little Women (2019), and it's also directed by a woman, written by women, produced by a woman. So why didn't this get praise? Well maybe because it aired as a 3 part, 1 hour Masterpiece theater mini series. But on DVD it watches like a 3 hour movie. I've seen every film version of Little Women. I'm partial to the 1994 version, but even though this one didn't follow the book precisely, it still did a great job of bringing the characters to life and telling the time honored story with a fresh feeling that still respected the time frame the story was written in. The sets, the costumes, the country side all looks perfect and one would think this was a huge budget production.

++

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...14892&page=185