Coronavirus

Tools    

Ah, if only they lived in castles

Canceling public events is a far cry from abuse of power. Not sure how you equate the two.

It has become more widespread than SARS and MERS. More people are getting infected. But less of those people who are getting infected are actually dying from it. The elderly and those who have a already compromised immune system are most at risk.
The coronavirus outbreak is more severe than the 2009 outbreak of H1N1, or what we know as the swine flu. The flu you have referenced the most. That illness infected between 700 million and 1.4 billion people worldwide but only had a mortality rate of 0.02%.
Apparently the quarantine is working in China, if reports are to be believed, as the cases seem to be tapering off.
Well you and I no but Trump is entirely different thing. he is cold as a lizard in a snow storm. he dont give two cents about anyone but what this does for him

They could be carriers.

Y’all won’t believe the number of old people I saw out at one of our local malls. I gave them all a wide berth. The older they looked the further away I got.
I doubt real John McClane be afraid of a Virus. He'd blow it up and not read it there rights

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Here is what I don't get about people's views on it. Every business is shutting down in my city where I live because of the virus. I lost my current job, and the whole economy is collapsing in my city. Saskatoon, Canada. But here is what I do understand, everyone thinks this virus is going to blow over in a few months. Why do they think that? It's just going to spread more and more and get worse.

Everyone thinks this is a really terrible pandemic, and maybe it is... But if it is, then why do people think that something so terrible, is just going to fix itself in a few months?

Here is what I don't get about people's views on it. Every business is shutting down in my city where I live because of the virus. I lost my current job, and the whole economy is collapsing in my city. Saskatoon, Canada. But here is what I do understand, everyone thinks this virus is going to blow over in a few months. Why do they think that? It's just going to spread more and more and get worse.

Everyone thinks this is a really terrible pandemic, and maybe it is... But if it is, then why do people think that something so terrible, is just going to fix itself in a few months?

Well I personally think too much panic was inject by what happened in the death by way of watching other countries and now its here.

50 people have died if we stop doing normal things we all will live. I personally think all this is arresting people from living a good life. You take away Movies shows and sports.

But truck drivers have to do there jobs or we all starv to death. I think if gonna die you gonna. People can do things to prevent getting it. 2 Months likely wont end it but I also think forcing everyone to wait to die is a bad idea.

Basketball Players and All Pro sports stopped but there millionare's. What is happening is people they need to do stuff so country dont shut down should not be only people exposed. people cannot stay home waiting to die.

Im just an average person. I am no doctor or scientist. I think forcing people to stay at home is denying people to enjoy life if its some peoples end.

Well I personally think too much panic was inject by what happened in the death by way of watching other countries and now its here.

50 people have died if we stop doing normal things we all will live. I personally think all this is arresting people from living a good life. You take away Movies shows and sports.

But truck drivers have to do there jobs or we all starv to death. I think if gonna die you gonna. People can do things to prevent getting it. 2 Months likely wont end it but I also think forcing everyone to wait to die is a bad idea.

Basketball Players and All Pro sports stopped but there millionare's. What is happening is people they need to do stuff so country dont shut down should not be only people exposed. people cannot stay home waiting to die.

Im just an average person. I am no doctor or scientist. I think forcing people to stay at home is denying people to enjoy life if its some peoples end.
When you say 2 months it likely won't end are you saying that society has projected this will all be over in two months?

Well Im basing on by everyone postponing things a couple months and what the president seems to want people to believe. By Him doing this national emergency and shutting things down and closing schools. he is saying one thing but actions say he has no idea how long it will be.

They are assuming Corona has some type of course like Swine and Bird Flu did and whats not being said people have gotten Corona and lived and others not. Like any this type of illness before.

But why does everyone else believe it will be over in a couple of months? I'm not talking about the US, I mean other countries like where I live. Everyone thinks this going to blow over in a few months. Why?

But why does everyone else believe it will be over in a couple of months? I'm not talking about the US, I mean other countries like where I live. Everyone thinks this going to blow over in a few months. Why?
I think the reason for this is the progression of the virus in China. If the numbers that we are getting right now are correct, the spread of the virus in China has pretty much stopped. Of course, they still have to be very careful and life can't just go back to normal right now, because there is a good chance that the virus will start spreading again in that case, but I believe that if they're careful the virus might be pretty much over for them in not more than a month from now.

This is a graph of the number of active cases in China, so that's the number of people who have the virus not counting people that have already died from it or have already recovered from it

The lockdown in China happened on the 23rd of January, so that's less than 2 months ago. I think what this teaches is that if appropriate measures are taken the virus can and will be under control relatively soon (~2 months).
The problem might be though, that I don't know of any "western" countries that have taken measures that go as far as those in China, besides Italy, for whom these came way too late. I think that there are a few countries that need to make very big steps very soon or they will likely follow the path of Italy, and in that case, I don't think the virus will be gone in 2 months for them.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Active Cases Corona Virus China 16-3.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	61429  

Well if the virus has pretty much stopped now, then why is it where I live in Canda, all these businesses and schools just started closing last week and several people including me, just lost our jobs this week now? Why throw the Canadian economy under the bus now, if the virus is pretty much over?

Well if the virus has pretty much stopped now, then why is it where I live in Canda, all these businesses and schools just started closing last week and several people including me, just lost our jobs this week now? Why throw the Canadian economy under the bus now, if the virus is pretty much over?
It looked like you were asking a sincere question earlier so I tried to give a detailed answer but now I'm starting to feel like you just want to hear things that agree with what you believe. I'll try once more to answer your question in detail, but if you're again just going to take half a sentence from my post out of context and take that as my conclusion I'll stop trying.

Well if the virus has pretty much stopped now
I think the reason for this is the progression of the virus in China. If the numbers that we are getting right now are correct, the spread of the virus in China has pretty much stopped.
The fact that China has managed to slow down the spread of the virus by taking very big measures doesn't mean that the virus has stopped everywhere else in the world. In Canada, just like in most other parts of the world, the virus has only just begun spreading and will likely just get worse.

then why is it where I live in Canda, all these businesses and schools just started closing last week and several people including me, just lost our jobs this week now?
Because measures like that and maybe even much bigger measures are necessary to stop the virus. The fact that the spread of the virus stopped in China is because of the lockdown and even after that, it took ~2 months to stop the spread of the virus. Like I said in my previous post, I think that most western countries are still taking too little steps to prevent the situation in their country from going towards the situation in Italy and measures like these are the only way to go right now.

Of course, that doesn't take away from the enormous impact that these measures have on economies worldwide and the impact that they might cause on the daily lives of people that have done nothing wrong and suddenly lose their job, but I can assure you that almost nobody in Italy would choose the current situation over one where they lost their job but the virus spread was stopped in a much earlier stage. Sometimes bad things are necessary to prevent even worse things.

Well the economy cannot shut down for too long though cause that is important too though. I mean one could argue that the economy is actually more important than stopping the spread of a disease, so I think it comes down to what are you going to pick? Cause you cannot try to have it both ways of course.

I think forcing people to stay at home is denying people to enjoy life if its some peoples end.
Are you saying people with coronavirus should be allowed to roam freely so that they can enjoy the end of their lives and that all the people they infect should also be allowed to roam freely to enjoy their lives and so on and so forth? I'm honestly trying to understand what your saying..

At one time there was only 50 deaths in China and Italy... enjoy the ball game.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

@ironpony

It's not going to be over in two months. If anything it might peak in two months or a month. The disease will remain amongst us this year. The severity of it might reduce.

There will be waves. Namely three. That is the pattern followed by most diseases of this magnitude. And the second wave, which is when it will peak, will be the most brutal.

Then there is the issue of reinfection and mutation. Both bad, though individuals who get reinfected might develop some kind of immunity till then. So, they would most probably suffer less. Again this is just
a conjecture. Things could very well get worse.

Or we could find a proper cure, and not rely on combination of drugs - which is how it is currently being handled.

The issue is the rapid pace at which this is spreading. And if we look at the serious cases in France and Holland, then a startling fact is emerging that this is no longer dangerous for older folks - since 50% of all serious cases in France and Holland are under 60.

The only way to combat this is social distancing.

As for the economy. It is screwed anyways you look at it. The key is to make sure that we save enough people now.

We should definitely be taking stronger measures in the US. Officials at the state and local level are starting to take their own action. I'm curious where they keep pulling these numbers as far as banning gatherings of more than "250" people or "50" people....shouldn't it be more along the line of "10" people?

Austria has banned gatherings of more than 5 people ...... which is a bit tough if you just happen to have more than 3 children imo