Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Leprechaun
(Mark Jones, 1993)

Jennifer Aniston, pre-Friends, pre-rhinoplasty, pre-acting ability, is a spoiled daddy's girl on a secluded ranch being terrorized by an evil leprechaun hellbent on retrieving his stolen gold coins. Joining her are 3 Guys That Paint: a Kevin Sorbo-lookin' motherf**ker who quickly becomes the love interest, his kid brother, and a mentally-handicapped man-child named Ozzie. After them is Warwick Davis in culturally-appropriated Irish garb and a day's worth of grotesque make-up, acting his little damn ass off as he scurries about wreaking havoc with impish glee.

Nothing about this movie makes any damn sense. For long stretches it feels like a children's film with its silly antics, slapstick humor, and general naivety, then suddenly there's a burst of gore in graphic close-up. The leprechaun's magic manifests itself in the lamest ways, such as teleporting to a car so that he can roller skate behind it, or by welding together a demolition-style go-kart with farm tools in record speed. The absence of his gold coins supposedly weakens his magic, but I think that's either an excuse to skimp on the special-effects or the leprechaun simply enjoys getting his hands bloody by offing fools the old-fashioned way. A four-leaf clover is the leprechaun's kryptonite. He also has an uncontrollable impulse to shine shoes, which is used against him in one of many bizarre WTF sequences.

Leprechaun is like a nightmarish version of a Lucky Charms commercial created for (and by?) demented special-needs children. I enjoyed its absurdity, although I’m not sure which fact surprises me more: That this movie spawned numerous sequels, or that Jennifer Aniston became one of the biggest names in Hollywood.

Best Kill: Death by Pogo Stick

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Creepy Line
I already knew most of the things that were shown, but people should check it out anyway. People are being lied to constantly, by those platforms, but by a lot of people who have no interest in the truth and weaponize information. I think censorship (and self-censorship) goes against the spirit of the internet (and the US), but that's just one of many negatives about this big tech monopoly. Free speech, data stealing, influence, recording and uploading our personal lives.. I once had my own book advertised to me! Unfortunately, I'd say most will only object when it's "their" side (whatever that means, groups are the enemy) being oppressed, and their goal is to switch oppressed to oppressor, "getting even", instead of getting it right.
I still have a flip-phone but there is always a screen on when I'm home. Just today I was having issues with someone I know because she must be too afraid to call, and insists on texting, even though I can't hear it, and I hardly ever look at my phone.

Years ago, I was having a conversation with my cousin, and I was saying besides the billions they make, they might be one of the most powerful group in the world in the disinformation age. He could only reply with "Well, facebook is free", only for me to reply with "WE are the product"... We don't use the public square anymore, Twitter (etc) is the new public square. Once everyone is on there is when real power can be displayed. When you are banned (many times for no reason) off YouTube, etc., you can't just go back to old fashioned forms of communication such as a loud-speaker at a corner Downtown.. If I break a rule, I pay the price, and then everything is back to normal, as opposed to a lifetime ban. There's conformity with that, too. When one platforms bans a public figure, it snowballs. They know we can arbitrarily ignore, but this is more than just money, it's power. Many of these companies are subsidized by the public one way or another, too, only to turn the gun on you whenever they feel like it.

Thanks @GulfportDoc

Billy Madison (1995)

I have a feeling a lot of Adam Sandler movie "classics" won't stand up over time. This one still has some humor, but there were multiple instances where I was thinking how the hell did I ever find that funny. It was good to see Chris Farley, Norm Macdonald, a younger Bradley Whitford and others though.
I have to admit that I re-watched Billy Madison a few months ago and it did not hold up as well as I would have liked.

The Creepy Line
I already knew most of the things that were shown, but people should check it out anyway. People are being lied to constantly, by those platforms, but by a lot of people who have no interest in the truth and weaponize information. I think censorship (and self-censorship) goes against the spirit of the internet (and the US), but that's just one of many negatives about this big tech monopoly. Free speech, data stealing, influence, recording and uploading our personal lives.. I once had my own book advertised to me! Unfortunately, I'd say most will only object when it's "their" side (whatever that means, groups are the enemy) being oppressed, and their goal is to switch oppressed to oppressor, "getting even", instead of getting it right.
I still have a flip-phone but there is always a screen on when I'm home. Just today I was having issues with someone I know because she must be too afraid to call, and insists on texting, even though I can't hear it, and I hardly ever look at my phone.

Years ago, I was having a conversation with my cousin, and I was saying besides the billions they make, they might be one of the most powerful group in the world in the disinformation age. He could only reply with "Well, facebook is free", only for me to reply with "WE are the product"... We don't use the public square anymore, Twitter (etc) is the new public square. Once everyone is on there is when real power can be displayed. When you are banned (many times for no reason) off YouTube, etc., you can't just go back to old fashioned forms of communication such as a loud-speaker at a corner Downtown.. If I break a rule, I pay the price, and then everything is back to normal, as opposed to a lifetime ban. There's conformity with that, too. When one platforms bans a public figure, it snowballs. They know we can arbitrarily ignore, but this is more than just money, it's power. Many of these companies are subsidized by the public one way or another, too, only to turn the gun on you whenever they feel like it.

Thanks @GulfportDoc
Your points are absolutely correct, Matt. And the scary thing is that these in-effect monopolies collude with government and intelligence agencies in a corporatist fashion. I was surprised to learn that most Federal agencies use gmail! Good God. We're now living in a surveillance state, and the public doesn't seem to be paying any attention.

Okja (2017)

I don't really know how to explain this rating. I'm kinda surprised I finished it, but it didn't do anything technically bad in my eyes. It just didn't draw me in, which is similar to the feeling I got watching Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer. I understand the message it portrays, but it just didn't translate to a recommendable movie for me.

Loved this one. A piano player gets mixed up with some bad dudes thanks to his two brothers. It's more character driven than plot driven (plots not bad) and if you can get into the shy, insecure Charlie/Edouard's story of how he went from successful piano prodigy to a bar room boogie playing pianist with a couple of crooks after him, you'll probably enjoy this.

Blade Runner 2049

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Very earnest movie. Adam Driver made the movie for me.

Leprechaun 2
(Rodman Flender, 1994)

Once upon a time in Ireland, our favorite leprechaun placed a curse on his human slave, vowing to marry the man's offspring in one thousand years. Why such a long wait? Beats me. Why has the leprechaun been hiding inside a tree dedicated to Harry Houdini? No clue. Why is there not a single mention of the previous film's events? Who cares. (There's a theory that this is an entirely different leprechaun, which would explain the different mythology and newfound abilities/weaknesses of the miniature monster, but I think the most probable explanation is creative laziness.)

In some ways Leprechaun 2 is an improvement over its predecessor. The budget is noticeably larger. The world is less constrained. The kills are more bizarre and there's a brief bit of boobage. Yet I found this offering less enjoyable. Perhaps that's the novelty already wearing off. Or maybe I just missed the playful charm of the original. This iteration of the leprechaun is more sadistic. He speaks almost entirely in eye-rolling limericks. He can't hold his liquor. Women are forced to become his bride simply by sneezing three times without a "bless you." (To see if that trick works for me, I’ll soon be blowing pollen in the face of every babe I encounter.)

Despite some fun sequences, most of the movie is a slog. The plot follows a standard save-the-princess formula as our useless female character is sought and rescued by a wet-blanket protagonist. Even Warwick Davis, the lifeblood of the series, gives a less inspired performance than his first go-round, as you can already see the mirthful energy in his eyes yielding to cynical dollar signs, much like the gold-obsessed monster he embodies.

Best Kill: Motorboating Mower Blades

Di je Karlo?
Ko to tamo peva (who's singing over there) -76/100
A lot more enjoyable the second time around, but I still didn't get the "bittersweet" effect everyone always talks about. Though, now that I've finally learned to stomach this style of directing, I'll give When Father was away on official business another shot

Loved this one. A piano player gets mixed up with some bad dudes thanks to his two brothers. It's more character driven than plot driven (plots not bad) and if you can get into the shy, insecure Charlie/Edouard's story of how he went from successful piano prodigy to a bar room boogie playing pianist with a couple of crooks after him, you'll probably enjoy this.
My favorite Truffaut film. One of the best movies from 1960 to usher in the innovative films of the '60s. It's humorous, off-beat, and touching-- all at the same time. I was so taken with the lilting piano theme played by the Charles Aznavour character that I went out and bought the record.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

American Nightmares (Darin Scott & Rusty Cundieff, 2018)
5/10
Red Joan (Trevor Nunn, 2018)
6/10
11:55 (Ari Issler & Ben Snyder, 2016)
- 5/10
Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero (Richard Lanni, 2018)
- 6.5/10

Stubby becomes the most decorated dog in U.S. military history.
The Adventures of Panda Warrior (Leo Lo, 2012)
+ 3.5/10
Black Noon (Bernard L. Kowalski, 1971)
5/10
Mission Congo (Lara Zizic & David Turner, 2013)
6.5/10
The Little Mermaid (Karel Kachyna, 1976)
6/10

She's not the one who dies.
The Remembered Film (Isabelle Tollenaere, 2018)
5/10
Land of Milk and Honey (Pierre Étaix, 1971)
6/10
Compulsion (Craig Goodwill, 2016)
- 5/10
Spies in Disguise (Troy Quane & Nick Bruno, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Young scientist accidentally turns a secret agent into a pigeon and together they try to save the world.
Jenny's Wedding (Mary Agnes Donoghue, 2015)
+ 5/10
The Silence of the White City (Daniel Calparsoro, 2019)
6/10
Phat Girlz (Nnegest Likké, 2006)
5/10
Too Late to Die Young (Dominga Sotomayor Castillo, 2018)
6/10

Chile, 1990. Teenagers grow naturally freer after the end of the Pinochet dictatorship.
Spenser Confidential (Peter Berg, 2020)
+ 6/10
Being Rose (Rod McCall, 2017)
+ 5/10
Andy & The Donald (Molly Manners, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Birds of Prey (Cathy Yan, 2020)
+ 6/10

Dream on, Sister.

Boldly going.
7/10.
When John Hurt was convulsing on the table, I kept waiting for an alien to burst out of his chest and then Richard Burton says "I told you the war was real!"

The Invisible Man (2020)

Day of Anger 1967 ‘I giorni dell'ira’ Directed by Tonino Valerii

Ruthless gunslinger Lee Van Cleef mentors the town garbage man and shows him the way of the gun and the old West.
+