Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I crudeli (1967)
aka The Hellbenders, The Cruel Ones

Another Corbucci within a couple of days. It's maybe a tiny bit better than the previous but still far from The Great Silence.
Try The Mercenary & Django '66.

The Shootist 1976 Directed by Don Siegel

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
The end of an era, and a farewell to it's icon.
Like with The Crow, this film is very emotionally charged because of the main actors off screen drama.
Couldn't help but be moved by this film, and that means high rating, otherwise It would be a 2,5/5.

A documentary about the Apollo moon missions, starting with Apollo 8. All it is is astronauts talking over film footage of everything from pre flight, to orbiting the earth, to walking on the moon. If space exploration is your thing this is pretty neat. The Astronauts crack me up on a few occasions. Absolute professionals yet they have a certain childlike quality once there out there that's fun to watch and listen to. Some of them are straight up goofballs. Mission control is not as amused by this characteristic as I am. A lot of the footage I had never seen before and I think it's some of Kubrick's best work. Wish someone would have taught him how to frame a shot though

Knives Out (2019)

Murder mystery still isn't my thing, but this was very enjoyable from start to finish. Great comedic elements (especially Daniel Craig), and a good thrill as everything unfolds. I might not ever watch it again, but I'm glad I watched it this one time.

The Lodge (2020)

Not a big fan of the horror films released this year, The Lodge is the prototypical low budget modern horror film that only really has 4 characters(with 2 supporting figures). It's the story of a young woman who is left to care for her finances children from a previous marriage. It's the pale teenage son played by one of the IT kids, the pale creepy daughter, that girl, and menacing bearded boyfriend guy. All the archetypes that you want in a psychological thriller. Often times you think you're getting one film and then it turns around and you get something else that you didn't want...It Comes At Night...for example. This is a film that gives you what you want.

It's a great film, good tension couple good twists and you'll find your sympathies moving from character to character. I haven't seen The Turning yet but I think this is a better update of gothic horror story.

Corpus Christi (2019) - 6.8/10. A leftover from the Oscars. A very good film. Since it's based on a true story, it was enjoyable. Pretty scenary. Good acting.

Aladdin... the live action adaptation, seen it for the first time last night on Now TV. Id give it a 6/10. Lacked the soul and impact of the original...reminds me of another recent Disney adaption *cough* LION KING *cough*

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Guns Akimbo (Jason Lei Howden, 2019)
+ 5/10
Talking About Trees (Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019)
- 6.5/10
The Kill Team (Dan Krauss, 2019)
+ 5/10
Nine (Rob Marshall, 2009)
6/10

Fellini or Fosse or Daniel Day-Lewis or whoever the hell he is knows what he's talking about.
Own the Sky (Gregory Read, 2019)
6.5/10
Hector and the Search for Happiness (Peter Chelsom, 2014)
6/10
Hungry Hearts (Saverio Costanzo, 2014)
+ 5/10
Attack of the Clones (George Lucas, 2002)
6.5/10

Now stop your whining.
Outrage Coda (Takeshi Kitano, 2017)
6/10
The Challenge (Yuri Ancarani, 2016)
5/10
System Crasher (Nora Fingscheidt, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Anna (Luc Besson, 2018)
6/10

Assassin Sasha Luss takes a rare breather in between all the deaths, sex, chases, flashbacks, flashforwards and triple crosses.
Cop-Out AKA Stranger in the House (Pierre Rouve, 1967)
+ 5/10
All the Bright Places (Brett Haley, 2020)
5.5/10
Drag Racer (John 'Bud' Cardos, 1972)
+ 5/10
Revenge of the Sith (George Lucas, 2005)
+ 7.5/10

You will not take me from her.
Dropa (Wayne Slaten, 2019)
- 5/10
Welcome, or No Trespassing (Elem Klimov 1964)
- 6.5/10
The Touch (Ingmar Bergman, 1971)
+ 5/10
The Kingmaker (Lauren Greenfield, 2019)
6.5/10

Portrait of Imelda Marcos and her family's past and continuing attempts at power and money in the Philippines.

The House That Jack Built

probably wouldn't of been so high if not for the last 20 minutes, loved that.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Sam Mendes, 2019

If you want to see something recent but better, with less production, not special, see: Soldado Milhões.
At least it didn't try to convey shock, had more sentimental expression and character development.

The Good Liar (2019)

Nicely paced thriller about con-men with a good strong cast (a Dame and a Sir no less as the main characters!!!). Low-key and with not much incident (till the final scenes) but enjoyable enough. The shift in tone in the film from when Roys son calls is impressive.

Citadel (2012)

Neat little Brit horror/thriller. Some good (and bad!!!) sightseeing for me over Glasgow again

The story was interesting but got thinner then thinner again. Dramatic turns in the story and your empathy for the main protagonist brought it home. As well as James Cosmo being a very *very* sweary James Cosmo of course.....

The House That Jack Built

probably wouldn't of been so high if not for the last 20 minutes, loved that.

I found it patchy beyond belief.

Ride Lonesome 1959 Directed by Budd Boetticher

Randolph Scott, Karen Steele, Pernell Roberts, Lee Van Cleef, James Coburn

No bs Western / Western, with a run time of only 1 hour and 13 minutes. No time for side missions to other genres it's a 100% pure revenge beef Western. Short, traditional, simple and straight to the point story line, with a great final shot.

-