The Terminal List (Amazon Prime)

Tools    

Has anyone seen this series with Chris Platt? Should I watch it? I liked the Krasinski Jack Ryan series, is it as good as that?

Was intrigued by the contrast in reviews between the critics and audience, which is always a sign of the former being for wrong reasons.

Two episodes in, and it's alright so far. I can see why the usual suspects hate it. I mean it's messy and at times slow, and not in a good way, but I think it's largely down to the politics or imagery of what it is celebrating that is lately frowned upon nowadays.

It's not Jason Bourne or even Reacher, though I suspect its makers think it is.

Chris Pratt so far seems like a bad choice for the role. I like the guy, but he hasn't got the range for this.

Let's hope it gets better going forward. Will try to finish it this week.

I've watched the first few eps, and am enjoying it. At first I thought it looked like another war series, but it quickly changed to a mystery/thriller.

I agree that Chris Pratt is no Ben Kingsley or Robert De Niro, but in the main he's pretty believable in the role as a Navy SEAL.

It'll be interesting to see if the series stays on track, or whether it veers off. But so far I'd give it 7/10.

It picks up in the later episodes. It's still not Bourne, but this was highly enjoyable. And twists, though at times predictable, were good.

It felt like an old 80s-90s action story, and it celebrates that macho guy character and SEALS, which is probably what irked today's critics.

I would recommend this to fans of action movies/series. It's a fun watch.

The only other issue I had was the one with lighting. Whoever responsible for it did a terrible job. This is not good dark lighting (like Fincher's stuff), just bad lighting.

Its really good. Not sure about the Jason Bourne comparisons. This was a good deal better than those to me. The Bourne movies are pretty tame pg 13 stuff. This guy is a fully trained, fully active Navy Seal. If Jason Bourne existed, this guy and his team are the ones they send in to kill him. I thought this quite good. Buckle up for episode 4. I knew what was coming but it was still pretty brutal.

The only other issue I had was the one with lighting. Whoever responsible for it did a terrible job. This is not good dark lighting (like Fincher's stuff), just bad lighting.
I wouldn't even call it bad lighting but terrible lighting.

I've watched five episodes and I'm having difficulties finding the motivation to come back for three more. I really hate those hallucination sequences and there just aren't interesting characters.

Finished, wifey and I both loved it. Hallucination type scenes aren't my favorite but they fit with the story, which is good but could be better. Just as an action piece it's awesome, and it gets better as it goes. I don't know if Pratt or the makers get the credit but James Reese is a total badass, like a cross between Rambo and the terminator, and it's believable relative to the medium. Reacher up next.

It's funny that I'm just finding these shows. Thinking of Jack Ryan after that.
As I recall, Jack Ryan was pretty well done.

I've read 8-9 Reacher novels, and enjoyed them on a certain level, although they all seemed to have roughly the same pattern: Reach goes to a town, gets involved in some story involving local criminals, then kicks butt.

IMO the TV series has mediocre screen writing, and I don't much care for Alan Ritchson as Reacher. He's too muscle bound and plain. The Reacher of the novels is big for sure: 6'5", 250 pounds, but that makes him leaner than the series character. I also pictured him as having darker hair. Just my $.02...

Probably gonna skip the Jack Ryan show. Not sure why. Not a big Chris Pine fan maybe? I don't know but I do know there's simply too much content to watch in a lifetime so shows will be skipped for inane reasons.

Warning, warning, some exaggeration follows: Yeah, it's a great action piece if you like to stare at a black screen.
We put on one episode during the day and had that issue but we put it off until the sun went down and we never had another problem.

Finished Reacher and we enjoyed it, but while The Terminal List was film quality, Reacher was clearly TV. Worth watching.

We put on one episode during the day and had that issue but we put it off until the sun went down and we never had another problem.
I have blackout curtains and I always turn off the lights when I watch something. It was definitely way too dark. I don't remember any other Amazon or Netflix production to have been even remotely like that.

Many of the normal scenes looked like night scenes, all the dark details were lost. Only outdoors scenes happening in broad daylight were somewhat normal.

I have blackout curtains and I always turn off the lights when I watch something. It was definitely way too dark. I don't remember any other Amazon or Netflix production to have been even remotely like that.

Many of the normal scenes looked like night scenes, all the dark details were lost. Only outdoors scenes happening in broad daylight were somewhat normal.
They must have had some reason to film like that. I can't say it bothered me but it also may be the reason we couldn't watch it at all during the day.

I had issues with the show's lighting as well.
Reckon they wanted it to be dark, to set the tone for the series, but the person in charge of it wasn't capable enough to pull it off.
It's awfully bad at times.

Signed up for Prime yesterday (after many years of them imploring me to join) & The Terminal List was up first.

Not bad so far, will see how it goes. I don’t love it, but I like it.

Riley Keough completely wasted in her dopey wife-of-the-hero rôle. Any idiot could have taken that part.

Oh, and there better be more of Taylor Kitsch than there is so far. One of the reasons I signed up was to see him on screen. Huge fan.

Finished it. Covid brain didn’t help in understanding all the characters, the subplots, etc., but I enjoyed what I got out of it. Particularly liked Jeanne Tripplehorn in her rôle, but everyone else very good too.

What would have helped would been an online glossary like Band of Brothers has. Dozens of acronyms in the show, none of which I knew, which added to the confusion. It’s one of those shows that has to be watched twice for full enjoyment. I’m not going to do that, but this show got me through my Covid isolation & for that I’m grateful.