Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

When John Holmes plays the male lead in your movie, it's safe to expect a lot of penis.

You should chase this with Hot & Saucy Pizza Girls, which supplements the Candida Royalle and Laurien Dominique team with the great Christine Dr Shaffer and the mighty (and adorable) Desiree Cousteau. Maybe the best ensemble cast in a Bob Chinn movie and probably his funniest.
I will have to check it out.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Day of the Dolphin - 6/10

I can't imagine another director doing worse. This should have been a better movie. You have George C. Scott, and an interesting and unique idea. Instead of spending half the movie with Scott (or his wife) repeating what the dolphin said, just make it audible.

29th Hall of Fame

Robot (Enthiran) (2010) -

That was some of the most fun I've had in a while. Like, I'm not saying it's flawless or anything, but it definitely excels at being pure entertainment. As others have noted, the action is probably the biggest highlight. The fight on the train has some impressive stuntwork which managed to drop my jaw a few times, the highway chase is delightfully over-the-top and comes with one of the best action set pieces I've seen in a while, and the final fight with the police, well, it needs to be seen to be believed. Sure, the cgi is dated, but while this stuff usually bothers me, the sheer level of creativity and imagination involved with those scenes is incredible and easily shines through that. You can sense the director going "I want to make this as large-scale and crazy as possible" and this made for some technically outstanding sequences. As terrific as the action is though, a lot more happens in the film which needs to be judged as well. For example, I was mixed on the musical numbers. To cut the film a bit of slack, I couldn't find subtitles for those scenes, so I might've enjoyed them more if this wasn't the case (I think I got the gist of what the songs were in reference to though). Mainly though, I thought they were incorporated into the film really awkwardly. It felt like someone took several music videos and inserted them into the film at various points, with most of them overstaying their welcome. The film definitely nails the humor though. Most of the jokes are really clever, with the mosquito scene being the clear standout. This leaves the story, which started out pretty well but lost its way in the final hour. Throughout the first couple hours, the emotional core becomes more and more focused on Chitti. Struggling with his identity, he begins to fall for Sana, putting him at odds with Vaseegaran. This made for an interesting dynamic between the three of them, but unfortunately, this didn't resolve itself in a satisfying way. After a series of incidents which occur midmovie, this dynamic was pushed aside for the big action set pieces I mentioned up above and then the film rushed through the apology scene at the end. This was a double-edged sword as, while this directorial choice gave me the terrific action scenes in the final hour, it also harmed the film's story and left me kind of unsatisfied after it ended. As a result, the story felt more boilerplate than it should've. In spite of everything I've said though, I do enjoy the film. This is the kind of film which is better to watch with your brain turned off.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Zombie '90: Extreme Pestilence (Andreas Schnaas, 1991)
3/10
The Hound of the Baskervilles (Terence Fisher, 1958)
6.5/10
It Stains the Sands Red (Colin Minihan, 2015)
5.5/10
Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) (Questlove, 2021)
+ 7.5/10

Nina Simone performs at the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival.
Dance Macabre (Wim Vink, 1986)
6/10
The Summoned (Mark Meir, 2022)
5/10
The Whisperer in Darkness (Sean Branney, 2011)
5.5/10
Dark Winds (Chris Eyre & Sanford Bookstaver, 2022)
6.5/10

Joe Leaphorn (Zahn McClarnon) and Jim Chee (Kiowa Gordon) try to solve a convoluted mystery on a Navajo reservation near Canyon de Chelly.
Revealer (Luke Boyce, 2022)
5/10
Out of It (Paul Williams, 1969)
6/10
The Revolutionary (Paul Williams, 1970)
5/10
All the Crows in the World (Yi Tang, 2021)
6/10

Teenager Chen Xuanyu finds herself basically put on auction at a restaurant but she does find a new friend there.
Frank and Penelope (Sean Patrick Flanery, 2022)
5/10
Guess What We Learned in School Today? (John G. Avildsen, 1970)
5.5/10
Visions of Ecstasy (Nigel Wingrove, 1989)
5/10
Modern Romance (Albert Brooks, 1981)
6.5/10

Film editor Albert Brooks and his girlfriend Kathryn Harrold can't spend more than a few minutes together without arguing, mostly due to his insecurities.
Master of the World (William Witney, 1961)
5.5/10
Captain Nemo and the Underwater City (James Hill, 1969)
+ 5/10
Mr. Stitch (Roger Avary, 1995)
6/10
The Drover's Wife (Leah Purcell, 2021)
- 6.5/10

In the 1890s Australian Outback, the pregnant wife (Leah Purcell) of an absent drover tries to protect her family, eventually but reluctantly with the help of a wise Aboriginal (Rob Collins).

3/10

No movie with a "dream sequence" featuring zombie "Jimi Hendrix" and zombie "Jim Morrison" can be all bad. Very, very bad. But not ALL bad.

3/10
You're really going towards the deep end. The only Schnaas I'm sure I've seen is Violent Shit and even though it's been 30+ years I still remember it being a prime example of, well, shit cinema. What an aptly named film.

You're really going towards the deep end. The only Schnaas I'm sure I've seen is Violent Shit and even though it's been 30+ years I still remember it being a prime example of, well, shit cinema. What an aptly named film.
I haven't seen Violent Shit, but Zombie 90 has an amazing English dub. It's clearly one guy working without a script and using it as an excuse for some kind of wacky voice acting audition tape.

I assumed that it was about the challenges of life. Life is hard, so use more soap?
It's a film of many layers.

Bonnie and Clyde, 1967

Bonnie Parker (Faye Dunaway) hooks up with Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty). Together with Clyde's brother Buck (Gene Hackman), Buck's wife Blanche (Estelle Parsons), and a mechanic they picked up along the way (Michael J Pollard), the crew embarks on a series of highly publicized bank robberies.

This is another case of a classic that I enjoyed, but doesn't leave me with a lot to say. I'm sure that oodles have been written about the excellent imagery, the winning performances, and the facility with which Bonnie and Clyde balance on the edge as anti-heroes.

I really liked discovering that I actually didn't know very much about this movie, despite being very familiar with some of the visuals and the infamous ending. For example, I somehow didn't know that Gene Hackman was in this movie! Nor was I prepared for Gene Wilder to pop up in a short but memorable role as half of a couple temporarily kidnapped by the Barrow gang.

A good time.

I assumed that it was about the challenges of life. Life is hard, so use more soap?
You're allowed to think that for the first hard soap. But by the second hard soap? You're just in denial.

I forgot the opening line.

By https://a24films.com/films/everythin...re-all-at-once, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69511486

Everything Everywhere All at Once - (2022)

A24 has released some great films. Hereditary, Room, Ex Machina, The VVitch and Moonlight to name a few. Everything Everywhere All at Once easily joins that list of favourites for me, with a mind-bending mix of humour, fantasy and kung-fu action - with a familial love story at it's core and much parallel universe lore for all the nerds out there. I enjoyed it a lot last night, and as it's climax hit maximum overdrive a little celebration broke out in my mind at having a truly 'Best of the 2020s' list-worthy film arrive. Great to see the little dude from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom again, and Michelle Yeoh was great (everyone was, really) - this is a bonus in a film dominated by it's mix of absurdism, sci-fi invention, comedy and effects. We'll be awaiting the next film from those 2 Daniels with bated breath.

9/10

By amazon.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=23837562

Game Changers: Inside the Video Game Wars - (2019)

I lived this from the consumer end as a kid, so it was interesting to see the birth and history of video games from the design, manufacturing and marketing side. Goes from Pong up to the release of the first Playstation.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You're allowed to think that for the first hard soap. But by the second hard soap? You're just in denial.
It's a reference to Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, which is also cited in a throwaway gag.

WARNING: spoilers below
That's not a joke, the director admitted to being inspired by the show.

It's a film of many layers.
Ha! I see what you did there. At least I think I see.

Bonnie and Clyde, 1967

Bonnie Parker (Faye Dunaway) hooks up with Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty). Together with Clyde's brother Buck (Gene Hackman), Buck's wife Blanche (Estelle Parsons), and a mechanic they picked up along the way (Michael J Pollard), the crew embarks on a series of highly publicized bank robberies.

This is another case of a classic that I enjoyed, but doesn't leave me with a lot to say. I'm sure that oodles have been written about the excellent imagery, the winning performances, and the facility with which Bonnie and Clyde balance on the edge as anti-heroes.

I really liked discovering that I actually didn't know very much about this movie, despite being very familiar with some of the visuals and the infamous ending. For example, I somehow didn't know that Gene Hackman was in this movie! Nor was I prepared for Gene Wilder to pop up in a short but memorable role as half of a couple temporarily kidnapped by the Barrow gang.

A good time.

It’s a classic of American Cinema. Seen it a million times.

Here’s another classic that I enjoyed - again - this week. The 3 leads were all brilliant.

I just finished watching Boardinghouse on blu ray. Tenically, this is a bad movie, but it has some fun moments and a lot of charm, in a cheesy, schlocky way. I liked it.
would be my rating.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Yes Men - 6/10
Great idea, just not edited well. Lots of inane stuff that should have been cut. Scheduling, etc., few other redundant thing. When you have a documentary that's 82 minutes long, you should be a little more like Hitchcock - economic.

As for the stunts - why not stop at the 50-yard line when you have the chance (especially considering the cancellation)? Instead of chickening-out with "If I lived in those countries, I might feel different" and changing character suddenly.

"We have studies that show you never suffer from guilty feelings after making a certain amount of money"
"How much?"
"Anything over the median income. Nobody wants to be in the bottom half, now do we? Aren't you all here in school so you can also exploit 3rd world countries so you could have phones? Or are you all going to be Che Guevera's? Yes, I'm talking to you, Miss India".

And when the students objected to "used" hamburgers, why not use that opportunity to say:

"You know those McDonalds trademark hamburgers you just ate? Well, it was a #2"
<a few students barf>

"You want to save the world, and save the environment, but you won't puke for it? Would you like a job application to work at the WTO?"

I really think they'd get a LOT more attention, which was the whole point. I'd like to see them try that now. "Their" side loves free-trade now. I wonder why...

WARNING: "FUNNY SPOILER" spoilers below
I had a great laugh when (while playing it straight) the guy said, "The Civil War was the LEAST profitable war" - that's how you do it.