My Favorite Music Videos

Tools    

Thanks to a little something cable television introduced in the early 80's called MTV, a new marketing concept for the music industry was born with a video called "Video Killed the Radio Star" when, in reality, radio experienced a renaissance because music videos gave new life to the recording industry. Couch potatoes saw a video that appealed to them and it made them want to go out and buy the record. The secret in an effective music video is picking a correct concept that will enhance the appeal of the recording. Sometimes, a song doesn't need a lot of help and a video of the artists performing the song in front of a camera is enough. Sometimes a song needs a concept or a story behind the video to make the song a little easier to understand. If the song is part of a motion picture score, sometimes the video will simply consist of clips from the movie. Whatever concept is chosen, the music video revitalized the music industry and thanks to the internet and web sites like You Tube, records that were recorded before the 1980's now have videos, but I will try to keep from those here. I will also try to steer away from the videos that are just movie clips. This will be look at videos where an original concept, however simple or elaborate it might be or songs that I like and the video stayed out of the way. WARNING: If you are not a fan of Madonna or Michael Jackson, you should just stay away from this thread because these two artists took this relatively new entertainment form and completely reinvented it and a large portion of this thread will be devoted to them. So grab your earphones and prepare for my list of my favorite music videos:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not a fan of Madonna, but I like some of Michael Jackson's songs. I probably won't agree with a lot of this list because I listen mostly to country music and showtunes, but as always, I'll be following your list.

I'm not a fan of Madonna, but I like some of Michael Jackson's songs. I probably won't agree with a lot of this list because I listen mostly to country music and showtunes, but as always, I'll be following your list.
OMG, a showtune fan! A person after my own heart...if you've followed my threats, you have to know what a big showtune fan I am; unfortunately, Broadway doesn't do a lot of videos.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
This is a countdown that I know I will really enjoy.

I am a big Michael and Madonna fan. So, this should be very good.

(I am also a huge showtune fanatic. ).

"Under Pressure", Queen & David Bowie

Technically, this isn't a video, but a straight performance of a song that doesn't need a lot of help in terms of video concept.

"How Does it Feel?", D'Angelo

They say sex sells and this video was a test of that...the allure of a man appearing naked on camera made this video a classic.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
OMG, a showtune fan! A person after my own heart...if you've followed my threads, you have to know what a big showtune fan I am; unfortunately, Broadway doesn't do a lot of videos.
No, there aren't many Broadway videos, but there are a few good ones from some shows that have either been released on DVD or aired on PBS, and a few from the TV show "SMASH". That's probably the closest we'll get to some good Broadway videos.

"That's the Way Love Goes", Janet Jackson

I love the simple concept of this video...Janet and her posse just chillin at the crib...in case you didn't notice, one of Janet's "homies" in this video is Jennifer Lopez.

"I'm Burnin' Up", Madonna

Madonna makes her first appearance on this list with the video for her first major dance club hit...I actually remember dancing to this tune in clubs.

"Heartbreak Hotel", Whitney Houston

This was one of the unsung heroes in Whitney's videography...quietly sexy, Whitney has rarely looked better, with an assist from Faith Evans and Kelly Price.

"Straight Up", Paula Abduhl

Abduhl was actually a viable talent before settling into American Idol and this was the song that put her on the map...love that she utilized her dancing talent and the black and white photography is striking.

"Hello", Lionel Richie

The song was solid on its own, but the story that this video attaches to the song is quite lovely. Actress Ola Ray plays the object of Lionel's affections here.

"That's What Friends are For", Dionne Warwick, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight

Videos became so popular that that at times they were used as fundraisers...if memory serves, all profits from this video went to AIDS research...no frills here, just four music legends jamming on a great song.

"Physical", Olivia Newton John

This record and video were a HUGE hit for the Australian songbird and I have to admit when I would hear this song at a club, it did get me on my feet and on the dance floor.