The Royal Tenenbaums

→ in
Tools    

No, the reward of seeing The Royal Tenenbaums was more than payment enough from misters Anderson and Wilson. On the other hand, if YOU'D like to pay for my gas and tolls, sure, I'll let you do that.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

No thanks, but that's the way to think. Always ask for freebies. Even if I found the movie so great -- so great that it would make me climb the highest mountain, throw myself down, and scream for Oprah to give all of her money to Pauly Shore -- I'd still like it if the expenses of my gas and tolls was paid by Anderson & Co.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Jason
I wish I could give a "ten" to the Tenenbaums, but I can't. Tenenbaums left me feeling tenenbummed. Wes Anderson, I've never seen your previous movies. I don't think I like your style, stallion. Sorry. I have a different brain chemistry.
That's true for a lot of people, it seems. 'Tis a shame some people just don't get it. You're right, don't waste your time seeing any of Anderson's other films; the humor would be lost on you. *Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I get it, I just don't find it hysterically funny.

WARNING: "Royal Tenenbaums" spoilers below
I did like the way they handled Luke Wilson's suicide attempt. It wasn't dramatic and that keeps real people who want attention from doing it to themselves. Although, it kinda unnerved me with its quirkiness. Luke on the stretcher, covered in blood, doctors and relatives all around him... unrealistic, not funny to me. I thought the funeral scene at the end was quirky too. The way they all stood around and the way they left... I imagined a shot of them on a poster that says "Let's put the FUN back in Funeral." They looked happy. And I guess that's the way Wes Anderson wanted it to be, but I just don't care for it. Maybe if they had it at a nude graveyard with clowns, a mariachi band, and fireworks.

Now With Moveable Parts
I think you've missed the point. There were scenes that were intended to NOT be funny, like the one of the ones you mentioned. So, if you were distressed over the fact that they weren't, then you've missed something. Besides, I think I should point out, there are quirkier families than the Tenenbaums, in real life--so you saying that it was "unrealistic" is...well, unrealistic.

Oh, I know there's beyond quirkier families out there... but this one just felt too movie friendly to me.

Now With Moveable Parts
I hate arguing about movies because it's all about tastes, BUT, I guess I'm having a problem with you saying it's too "movie friendly" for you. The whole damn thing couldn't be more original. You never know what's coming or what turn of events are coming up next...which is why it was so NOT "movie friendly".

They just felt like a bunch of characters plucked out of several movies and put into one big one to me. I see something unreal about them all. Something that isn't thick. If they're realistic to you, then they're boring people to me. They need to LIVE. Maybe that's the whole point of the movie. They need to live. Well, live already! Sheesh. If they only made room for daddy...
daddy wasn't so bad. But why lie about your death? That's like Robin Williams lying to his ex-wife when he was playing dress up babysitter in Mrs. Doubtfire. Men! Movie men!

And speaking of Daddy Royal...

WARNING: "Tenenbaums" spoilers below
What was with that scene where the fake doctor stabs him?! If somebody just up and stabbed me, I'm not gonna forgive him! I'm gonna stab back! Is this just showing the fact that there are real people who don't mind mutilating their bodies?

Now With Moveable Parts
WARNING: "The Royal Tenenbaums" spoilers below
Jase, that wasn't the fake doctor that stabbed him. That was his little friend, Pagoda.

Anyways...
They did live. I know what you mean, you want to feel like the movie was just a small part of the bigger picture for these characters, right? Like, if you stopped watching, they would still exist?
I get you. I felt like they were a little larger than life, but I still felt like they were real people; especially Anjelica Houston's character. Didn't you get the feeling like the poor woman was surrounded by mental people?

I just got done writing a nice, little review of this fine film, and I got zapped off the 'net.

Anyways, The Royal Tenenbaums is the only new movie I have seen in the last 2 or 3 years-- or more-- that I would call "great."

Subtle humor is probably as difficult as anything else to successfully achieve, and this film does it endlessly and effortlessly.

Although I enjoyed--and own-- Rushmore (and I thought Bottle Rocket stank), The Royal Tenenbaums is a significantly better film. So much more "going on."

Can't wait to see it again.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Karl Childers I just got done writing a nice, little review of this fine film, and I got zapped off the 'net.
For this site? Couldn't you cut and paste?

Subtle humor is probably as difficult as anything else to successfully achieve, and this film does it endlessly and effortlessly.
I totally agree. I think even after several viewings, you still wouldn't unearth all that is there to muse over and laugh at.

(and I thought Bottle Rocket stank)
I'm sorry. That was a fine piece of work. I can still conjure up images of Owen Wilson in that hideous jumpsuit.

Here's my ten cents (my two cents is free) :

I'd seen The Royal Tenebaums in the theater in January, and I loved it then. Troy wasn't so impressed, but then, he's not as into Wes Anderson as I am. I wanted to see it again on video before I wrote anything about it.

And I still think it's brilliant. One of the best, if not the best, portrayals of a spectacularly dysfunctional family I've ever seen. It's definitely not as funny as Rushmore (somebody said that earlier in the thread, probably Holden), but it's deeper and infinitely more complex. And the humor is there throughout, at any rate (Karl Childers said something like this earlier, but I had to say it again ).

All the actors were perfect in their roles, and I agree with Sades that they are the epitome of what an ensemble cast should be. This is some of Gene Hackman's best work, and that's saying a f*cking lot.

And I loved the ending. It fit. Everything from the expressions on their faces to the inscription on the tombstone.

I think what irks Jason is that it all seems so stylized--especially in its look--and it is, but then, that's kind of the point. Aside from the locations, it's almost like a one-act play, where everyone has his or her own costume and look and pretty much keeps it throughout (although there are some exceptions). And those who do change their look do it when something major happens to them--it's basic symbolism. But it works. I can't explain how (although I'll probably try to later ), but it works.

And that's what I've got to say about that. And I loved the interviews with the bit players on the DVD--so, so funny. Brian Tenenbaum talking about how he "prepared for his role" as an EMT.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Not what i expected it to be, i thought it would be more humorous than what it was.
-Even though they weren't really related it was disturbing that Gweneyth Paltrow and Luke Wilson kissed and were in love with each other.
Other than that it did have some humor to it!

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Mary Lo, I loved that mock-interview show with the Wes Anderson barely-supporting players as well. When I first saw Larry Pine as the 'Peter Bradley' character in Tenenbaums, I thought it was a cute little send-up of Charlie Rose. To learn that Anderson played around with it even more for basically a gag reel is hysterical.

They were even sure to throw in that ridiculous little exchange where the interviewer keeps insisting that Anderson's first film was called Bottle Rockets instead of Bottle Rocket - which Rose did during his original interview with Wes at the time of Rushmore's release (included in the Criterion supplements for that movie).

The whole things is a great little fun addition for Wes Anderson fans. But now I want to know more about it, have a commentary track for that little nonsense. How much of that was scripted for Pine as Bradley? Looks like the 'actors' were just giving un-scripted natural responses, but Pine's questions and abrupt change of topics were fantastic. Was a lot of it adlibbed by him? Did Wes and Owen write all that crap down for him? Was this done primarily for Pine to get his character down, even though his screentime in Tenenbaums is only a minute or so, five seconds of which consists of cupping Gwyneth's breasts? And why can't we see the 'rehersals' for that?!?

I love it.

BTW, anybody here catch Wes Anderson sitting in for Charlie Rose a couple weeks back, doing an interview of Robert Evans?

Lets put a smile on that block
Finally saw this film last night of after waiting and waiting for weeks to see it.
I was suprised to say the least! it wasnt at all what i was expecting. Ive never seen any of Wes Andersons films before so maybe that was why i thought it was so strange. but i love strange.
i think i loved the film but im not sure. the end made it for me but at about half way through i found my-self bored. i just couldnt figure out how i was supposed to take it. maybe i should do some more research with "Rushmore" and his other ones. I will say that i didnt find it funy though. i smiled several times but never laughed.....well maybe when the little guy stabbed Hackman but that was it.
Wilson has written other comedies with Stiller before hasnt he? i could see their comedy styles whilst i was watching it last night, and i dont really like their comedy. Maybe thats why i didnt find it that funny.

Owen Wilson co-wrote The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket with director Wes Anderson. Ben Stiller has nothing to do with them, other than acting in Tenenbaums.

Ben Stiller's only feature film screenplay credit to date is Zoolander - which Owen Wilson appeared in as an actor, but didn't work on the script at all.

If you didn't groove on The Royal Tenenbaums, you probably aren't going to go for Rushmore or Bottle Rocket. That tone and comic sensibility that you didn't much care for in Tenenbaums is the same in Wes and Owen's first two films. Tenenbaums is their most accessible flick of the three, so if that didn't float your boat, the others are likely to leave you even colder.

But I love Rushmore intensely and recommend you (and everybody lse on the planet Earth) see it - for you Blibblobblib, just to be sure. Maybe you'll be in a better frame of mind for it? Or maybe you just don't like their flicks? Either way.

even theough all three are totally different, they are all the same, i think holden gets what i mean, you're either a Wes Anderson person, or your not. Some people might think that the movies are boring halfway through, i think Anderson does character development better than anyone else.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally posted by Holden Pike
Owen Wilson co-wrote The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket with director Wes Anderson. Ben Stiller has nothing to do with them, other than acting in Tenenbaums.

But I love Rushmore intensely and recommend you (and everybody lse on the planet Earth) see it -
Oh i thought that they had done some stuff together, theyre in a lot of films together and i knew that they both had done stuff behind the camera, as in directing or writing. Its just that all of the films that either of them have been in i personally have not enjoyed theyre sense of humour, like "Mystery Men", i just dont get it i spose! (Apart from Meet the parents and Something about Mary)

But i will definatly take u up on that Holden. i love Bill Murrey so im gonna give Rushmore a try. I was in the wrong frame of mind the other night, i havnt been to well and i fancied a emotional movie but i thought id watch that instead. I think if i see it again i will like it a lot more. but like Tenenbaums, ive heard great things about Rushmore and im open minded so im gonna give it a go!

i saw this movie recently, good sense of humor, but unlike most here apparently, i didnt think much of the humor was very subtle.
i was a little annoyed at a few of the overtly poetic asides that tended to pop up: particularly the return of the falcon.

of course, these are mere trifles, this is a great comedy, among the best of it's type.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Just saw the movie and got one word for it - brilliant.