Where Has The Silliness Gone?

Tools    

I read this article, about how Todd Phillips said that Woke culture has killed comedy:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...e-killing.html

Is that the reason why so many comedies are uninspired now, or is he wrong?
Don't know if that's the only reason but it's the first one that's popped in my head multiple times.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh I didn't think that at all really. I just thought that it was because of The Dark Knight and the the rise of all the more serious movies that came out of that. Phillips says you can't offend anyone nowadays, but are comedies that were mentioned on here before like Airplane for example, really that offensive?

I didn't know until I found that article, but according to the article it's about people more aware of racial injustice compared to before.

I'm not even sure what Woke culture is, is it the same thing as political correctness?
Yeah - it's kind of the next step (a step to the Left). It's the latest in the evolution of political correctness.

I'm not even sure what Woke culture is, is it the same thing as political correctness?
That my assumption at least. Being woke up about all sorts social issues, real, imagined and invented all being of utmost importance.

Yeah - it's kind of the next step (a step to the Left). It's the latest in the evolution of political correctness.
To me it sounds just like a renaming of the same thing. Is there any real difference?

Since being woke is a jump to the extremes of the Left, the one way to counteract it is to then take a step to the right...

put your hands on your hips
and bring your knees in tight
but it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Since being woke is a jump to the extremes of the Left, the one way to counteract it is to then take a step to the right...

put your hands on your hips
and bring your knees in tight
but it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane!

Can we just Time Warp back to the 1950s? The comedies were much better back then.

Well is true that people are sensitive now than they are say 10 years ago, or is that just a social media myth, do you think?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I read this article, about how Todd Phillips said that Woke culture has killed comedy:

His comedies are all the same anyways. Guy needs to be more creative if he thinks Woke culture is crippling his creativity. I think it's an excuse for his lack of..."being funny".

The Hangover is a great comedy and it mostly works because of the CAST. Putting people in weird and obtuse situations is one thing, but how they react and interact with each other is what sells the comedy. If Galifianakis wasn't in those movies, maybe they wouldn't have been so big. Part I and III are terrible though, just beating the same jokes into the ground.

Due Date is a foul mouthed version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. The latter film is leaps and bounds better than harsh comedy.

School for Scoundrels is a film that simply doesn't work because it's not funny. I don't like Jon Heder and Billy bob Thornton is just trying to find the success he had with Bad Santa.

Both Road Trip and Old School are films I enjoyed on some basic level in my youth. I doubt I'd find them funny today.

All his movies are "guy" movies and the females in them are thinly written and used sparingly. Watch Old School again and tell me what Dr. Meredith Grey does other than be the object of Luke Wilson's affection?

Philips might just be made that people accused him of being extremely creepy and forceful while on the set of Project X. "Todd Phillips is a very bad man. Both he and his team are openly abusive, manipulative, sleazy, and predatory both on and off set. This is an open secret."

I haven't seen Joker and it looks good. What I do hear about it though is that the majority of the film relies on the performance and if that was taken away, then the film would be decent at best.

Suspect's Reviews

I woke up fell outta bed, dragged a comb across my head!

Went outside and had a smoke, looking up, I noticed I was late?

You know what I think would make a great idea for a comedy spoof... Since there is also this "social justice warrior" stuff going on right now, they should make a comedy spoof about it, and they can even call it SJW Movie. Would that be a good spoof idea?

You know what I think would make a great idea for a comedy spoof... Since there is also this "social justice warrior" stuff going on right now, they should make a comedy spoof about it, and they can even call it SJW Movie. Would that be a good spoof idea?
I would love to see a well done SJW spoof. The problem is that corporate sponsorship would probably be impossible to obtain; and if one were made, the production and acting crew would risk being blacklisted.

Still, signs of PC/SJW fatigue are starting to pop up here and there, so it might be nearing a good time for such a production. It would have to be very, very independent..

~Doc

A bucket of anxiety

I like how the article writer just killed the point at the end.

A bucket of anxiety
Funnily enough, My husband was cooking up something like that. We have a whole list of ideas stored somewhere that we want to work on in the future