Thursday's Top 100 (2016)

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I knew I was gonna like this when i saw lion in winter in the first post

quite a few films i love in here and your list is quite prolific= very cool!!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

24 Hour Party People (2002)

"I'm a minor player in my own life story."

I like films that break the fourth wall, and this one does it with panache. A sort-of almost true story of Tony Wilson, Factory Records and the Manchester music scene from the seventies to the nineties from Joy Division to the Happy Mondays. If you’re at all interested in music it’s a must see, and even if you’re not it’s pretty funny.

Memorable moment: When God appears to Tony Wilson (Steve Coogan) in his own image and tells him he should have signed The Smiths.

See also: A Cock and Bull Story, also directed by Winterbottom, featuring a lot of the same cast is in much the same vein as this.

Rebecca (1940)

A dark, romantic gothic drama in gorgeously shadowy black and white. Joan Fontaine is the innocent second Mrs De Winter, who finds herself overshadowed by the memory of her new husband’s first wife, Rebecca (with some assistance from the sinister Mrs Danvers).

Honourable mentions: Psycho, Rear Window and North by Northwest, none of which made the cut this time around, although there is one more Hitchcock film higher up on this list.

I really like 24 Hour Party People I remember doing a commentary with SC for this. He wasn't too impressed IIRC.

Let the Right One In (2008)

“I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time.”

There are more horror films on this list than I would have thought, but they’re pretty much all zombies or vampires. This one’s not a comedy, though. Tomas Alfredson directs this gorgeously shot story of a lonely, bullied boy, Oskar, who befriends a mysterious vampire girl, Eli. It’s genuinely scary and horrifying, but at the same time sad, tender and bittersweet in it’s portrayal of the blossoming friendship between Oskar and Eli. The chilly landscape of a small Swedish town is practically a character in itself. A unique and thought-provoking film.

I really like 24 Hour Party People I remember doing a commentary with SC for this. He wasn't too impressed IIRC.
Maybe it was just a bit too British for him. You do need to be familiar with the references to find it properly funny, I think.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
When you are talking about acting - then the 'The Lion in Winter (1968) is an absolute gem. Some may not like the movie that much, but you have to salute the actors, and don't forget Hepburn.

Sin City (2005)

“That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'.”

I hadn't thought about this for a while, but then I recently read The Hard Goodbye graphic novel, and it reminded me of how much I love this film. It captures the look and the feel of the comic source material excellently. In an era of 12A rated Avengers movies, it’s refreshing to have something this adult. And by adult I don’t just mean full of violence and nudity, although it is, but dark and sinister where the characters face difficult choices, but at the same time it's energetic and fun. Most of all it looks fantastic.

Dancer in the Dark (2000)

I read about this before I watched it and was fully prepared to dislike it. It sounded manipulative and I decided I wasn’t going to let it get me. It absolutely got me. When he’s good, Von Trier is very good.

Selma (Bjork) loves musicals and hears music and rhythm in the oddest things, like machines at the factory she works at. She is a naive and optimistic person whose main purpose in life is to save money for an operation to stop her child from going blind. Von Trier likes his heroines to suffer, so naturally, things don’t go well for her. This might be one of the bleakest films I have ever seen, but it’s also one of the most unique.

Let The Right One In is amazing.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Remember Eli is not a girl though .

Haven't watched Rebecca yet will soon, the other one has never looked like something i would enjoy.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Gone With The Wind - I love seeing it on the list. I don't expect everyone to see this as the best film of all-time, but it is a little disappointing that as the years go by, it is becoming less and less appreciated for the incredibly good film that it is. I think this stigma that it seems to have that it is racist is what hurts it. Of course, I would like to argue and say that people should go against its source, the original book. You want some racism? Read the book! But as I always say, though, consider the times (and even the location) that this story is taking place. It really isn't as bad as people want to think it is. It is a beautifully filmed story with great acting (particularly by Clark Gable - I think he is the standout in the film). As for the length, 4 hours is nothing when there is an intermission. Try reading 1,024 pages of the book. Now there is a marathon! I read all of those in 5 days. I was 12. Got the book for Christmas and I couldn't put it down.

I guess, in a way, I like the book more, but there is one thing that the movie has over the book. It is Rhett's final line. All they did was add the word "Frankly" to that line and it gave it so much more strength to how he felt about it all. I loved it.

Maurice - Another one where I read the book first. I was only 11 when I read this one. My mom owned it and I wanted to read something and it sounded interesting. It is now one of my favorite books. I did a book report on it when I was 14 for extra credit. Thank goodness I had an open-minded English teacher. But that film....oh, how I LOVE the film!! You have it much lower than I'd have it (it would be in my top 20 films), but nevertheless, I am so happy to see it on the list. I was starting to think I was the only one who'd ever seen it. It is one of my favorite adaptations because it is very faithful to the original story. The acting is flawless (and the 3 leads are very easy to look at ). The scenery, the costumes and overall atmosphere is beautiful. The soundtrack is in my top 5 of film scores. It is a very romantic film. It is just so sad how underrated it seems to be. It is far superior, I think, to their other E.M. Forster adaptations (though I quite like them, too). I could go on and on about it, but I will spare everyone that. But this is one of those movies that I can watch repeatedly and never tire of it.

I haven't seen Sin City since it came out. I was surprised at how much I liked it back then.
It surprised me too. Even my husband likes it and he wouldn't normally touch a comic book movie. I think it's just an example of something done really well.

Maurice - Another one where I read the book first. I was only 11 when I read this one. My mom owned it and I wanted to read something and it sounded interesting. It is now one of my favorite books. I did a book report on it when I was 14 for extra credit. Thank goodness I had an open-minded English teacher. But that film....oh, how I LOVE the film!! You have it much lower than I'd have it (it would be in my top 20 films), but nevertheless, I am so happy to see it on the list. I was starting to think I was the only one who'd ever seen it. It is one of my favorite adaptations because it is very faithful to the original story. The acting is flawless (and the 3 leads are very easy to look at ). The scenery, the costumes and overall atmosphere is beautiful. The soundtrack is in my top 5 of film scores. It is a very romantic film. It is just so sad how underrated it seems to be. It is far superior, I think, to their other E.M. Forster adaptations (though I quite like them, too). I could go on and on about it, but I will spare everyone that. But this is one of those movies that I can watch repeatedly and never tire of it.
So glad to find someone else who likes Maurice (film and book)! I think Christine is an fan, too. I think if I had seen it more often, it would be higher up on my list. It's one of those movies I keep meaning to watch again, but for some reason no-one in my family ever seems as keen. I really think it is criminally underrated. I would have thought a fairly straightforward romantic story like Maurice would be more popular than Howard's End, which is mostly about someone leaving someone else a house in their will and somebody borrowing an umbrella.

Let The Right One In is amazing. Remember Eli is not a girl though .
All right, I was trying to do without spoilers. Fancy giving away some Crying Game spoilers as well?

WARNING: "Let the Right One In" spoilers below
That was something I liked in the film, when Eli kept saying things like 'I'm not a girl', you assume it's because Eli is a vampire, until more about Eli's past is revealed.

All right, I was trying to do without spoilers. Fancy giving away some Crying Game spoilers as well?

WARNING: "Let the Right One In" spoilers below
That was something I liked in the film, when Eli kept saying things like 'I'm not a girl', you assume it's because Eli is a vampire, until more about Eli's past is revealed.
haha. You are right i didn't even think of that as a spoiler for some reason, i'll go back and tag it.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
That's exactly how i thought of it and i always thought Oskar believed that too until later on when we find out more as you said.