The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries

→ in
Tools    

I really like the work you're doing Rodent. Love the insert with the movie poster. The green is too bright and garish, perhaps try a color that's more muted, even a muted shade of green could work.

Ok, toned the green a bit, added some yellow to it, resized the poster and made a switcheroo with the title card... here's what I got...

The green is a lot better... I think I still prefer the title card at the bottom though, having it at the top doesn't seem like the old billboard style I was going for.

Oh, I added a kind of glass/Perspex layer over the poster too to give it a bit of depth in the center.

It involved a very long and complicated process of opacity and colouring, plus layer effects and embossing, blurring, lighting effects and a few other things

It's one of those funny little things that took me about an hour of messing about to learn.

Thanks man

I'll still be tinkering with this up till when I have to make the full set of headers for the Countdown. Think I've got the base of it down though, especially with all the input from you guys

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ok, toned the green a bit, added some yellow to it, resized the poster and made a switcheroo with the title card... here's what I got...

The green is a lot better... I think I still prefer the title card at the bottom though, having it at the top doesn't seem like the old billboard style I was going for.

I'm not thrilled with either of these, but I love what you did with the green border and the stars. That part looks terrific.

Now I prefer the top one with the words on the bottom because the other one looks like the poster is wearing a big hat.

I'm not sure what's bothering me about the top one, but something just doesn't look right. I'll have to think about it.

I think I might know what was wrong... image was way too large... try a smaller one that fits the page vertically... the sacrifice is that the poster will be smaller...

[/center]

I think I figured out what's bothering me about the one with the title on top. The gray isn't actually part of the border. It looks like a separate piece. (That's probably why it looks like it's wearing a hat.)

Is there a way to blend it in? (Kind of the way the title part blends into the border in this image.)

Also, the poster doesn't go all the way to the border, so it looks like it doesn't fit properly.

I think I might know what was wrong... image was way too large... try a smaller one that fits the page vertically... the sacrifice is that the poster will be smaller...

I don't think it's the size because I zoomed out to make the whole image smaller, (with the previous images), and something still didn't feel right about it. The way it is now, it looks like the title part is too big for the poster, almost like it's sitting on a base.

I still think the title should be above the poster too. It just doesn't feel right with the title below the poster.

I have a finalised design... I just hit a eureka moment... but you guys will have to wait till the countdown to see it

I have a finalised design... I just hit a eureka moment... but you guys will have to wait till the countdown to see it

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about this.

I'm happy that you had a "eureka moment" and finalized the design, but I'm kind of sad that I don't get to see it yet.

I kind of feel like Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride

I'm not sure if just a straight stand up routine should be eligible. However something edited like Soderberghs Everything is Going Fine, should be eligible

Mwahahaha! It's a very snazzy looking idea... I figured out what was missing, and have adjusted some of the colouring...

You're gonna like it... trust me, when have I ever made a bad header?

Thanks for the feedback on the performance question. I will make a final decision soon, hope others weigh in as well.

As it stands I am definitely leaning to no to strictly performance films, yes if there's off-stage activity (of significance). Seems to be the line I have to draw, unfortunately for some pretty cool films that might have made the list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I don't like that grey checkered background and the way that font looks on it. I don't like the first letter of every word being red/a different color. It's a very busy, nerdy look that doesn't feel right to me. I am liking the rest of the design, but that place where you put the title is all wrong.

I've adjusted the title card... Harry has seen the final design almost... I sent him my eureka moment but have made a change to the title card since then

You'll like the final design.

EDIT: That picture ^ also has a massive fault on it.
Check the stars on the border around the poster... they overlap the title card. I put the layer in the wrong place.