The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Think I have it... totally re-rendered the whole thing and started again.

I like this one better. It's makes me think of a movie marquee. (The other one makes me think of a flower.)

I'm not sure that I like the words being white on gray. You might want to play with the colors on that part. (Maybe try reversing them?)

I like that one too more than the other.

I'm thinking if each entry had that design at the top, with the documentary's title in the box... I'll have a play with colours too, thanks for the input

Let the night air cool you off
Are stand-up comedy films eligible? IMDb lists them as documentaries. It's weird to see Chewed Up next to Night and Fog on my initial rough draft.

Are stand-up comedy films eligible? IMDb lists them as documentaries. It's weird to see Chewed Up next to Night and Fog on my initial rough draft.
That will add a wrinkle. I would probably have three on my list if that's the case.

I like this one.

I like the grey padded look of this one, though. Maybe replace the horizontal lines pattern with this padded pattern.

I also think you should change the font of the text. It doesn't look clear enough.

I was just going to ask about concert films.

Really looking forward to this one, l barely have a list though.

Here are some lists of good documentaries on netflix.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...tflix-201.html

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/t...lix-right-now/
Breaking the Maya Code is another excellent doc that's on netflix. From the title I thought it might be some pseudo-scholarly apocalyptic hokum (think The Bible Code meets 2012 via Discovery Channel) but that's not it at all. It's a fascinating look at centuries attempts to decode the Mayan script from ruins and the handful of texts that survived the Spanish conquest. Equally interesting is the inter-continental community of scholars and enthusiasts that grew up (some of them literally) around these efforts. It also uses animation brilliantly to show how the picto-graphic script is constructed and read, so it's not just a great informational film but a worthwhile "film" film as well.

Excellent, Rodent. Really liking what you're doing there.

As for stand-up and concert films, that's a tough one. I'm going to have make a judgment call here. If there's a decent amount of documenting beyond simply the songs on stage or the comedian's act then it's permissable. For example, I don't think we can exclude films like Woodstock or Gimme Shelter - no stand-up movies are coming to mind right now that also include a decnt amount of off-stage activity.

I think that's the only way we can do this, however if enough people protest and have good reasons then I might have to reconsider. But I personally don't think they belong. Do we want them all included? I know it is technically a document and I did say anything with the documentary genre on imdb is allowed, but that's my fault for overlooking these types of movies. Let me know.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Is it just her on stage in front of an audience or is there more to it?

It's just her on stage in front of an audience, but it's all about her life, her family, her problems, etc. It's not just random topics.