Mofo Movie Tournament: The Final!!!

Tools    

The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kershner)

vs

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

I decided to go ahead and post the final match since Raul is late. Voting ends Sunday, December 4th.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

If it were the whole Star Wars trilogy as one complete story, I might have voted that. But I cannot in good conscience vote Empire alone over 2001.

2001 is a monumental film, perhaps the classic example of the power of sci-fi cinema to explore questions of nature, reality, and the human condition. It is also a timeless film, despite its dated title, because it is a powerhouse of ideas which transcend the mundane specifics of our shared human history in its search for universal truth. It can be seen as allegory, as avante garde, as a fascinating meditation on our place in the greater scheme and as a breathtaking visual tour-de-force. Imaginative and technically brilliant, it is a true masterpiece of film-making that will doubtless be watched, rewatched, debated and admired long into the future.

That's my pitch for it. It is well-deserving of its significant and esteemed place both in film history and with this humble movie lover.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'm happy no matter which film wins. But not even the best of the Star Wars movies can compare to the most visually beautiful motion picture of all time. Btw, that's an awesome Empire poster, SC.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The Moon Landing remains Kubricks best work, therefore i must in all conscience side with Lucas' crowning achievement.

The one that has some of most unforgettable sequences ever shot (which more than make for its boring stretches and lack of real depth), 2001.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

As far as I still can tell, Star Wars is still a really good Kurosawa knock-off
Star Wars isnt in the final though.

Could people please bold their votes to make it easier to keep track? Thanks.

HK, are you voting or just saying "Empire, baby!"?

I have 7-2 in favour of 2001, and while it's safe to assume HK would never vote for 2001, he did say he wasn't voting anymore a while back.

I don't remember saying I wasn't voting anymore. I've voted in every round.

Yes, I'm voting for The Empire Strikes Back.
As am i

Vote Empire Strikes Back.
The Voting is currently at 8-4. Help Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan Kenobi. It needs your help.