Sidney Lumet
89.47%
17 votes
Sergio Leone
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Sidney Lumet

vs.

Sergio Leone
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Dag nabit. If this was before two days ago, I would've voted for Lumet hands down. But Friday night I saw Once Upon a Time in the West.

This is hard as pickles, but I'm going to give it to Leone.

Obvi Leone. I've only seen Lumet's 12 Angry Men, and I always hated that play anyways.

Oh, he did Network too. I guess I liked that film, but it wasn't anything mindblowing. Same with Murder on the Orient Express. I don't think I've seen anything else from him sadly.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Poll is closed but i would give it to Lumet. In addotion to the aformentioned 12 angry men, consider:

The 60's

Fail Safe (1964), The Hill (1965), The Pawnbroker (1965), The Anderson Tapes(1971)

Serpico (1973) Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Network (1976) The Verdict (1982)

Running In Empty (1988) Q & A (1990)

Before the Devil knows you're dead (2007)

Semper Fooey
I think Leone is very overrated. Once Upon a Time in America is a ponderous bore no matter what version you're looking at.

Lumet at his best is far superior.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Once upon a Time in America, is a fine film, my argument for Lumet is he has made several terriffic pictures.

Some have had more acclaim than others, but Fail Safe for instance pre-dates War Games by 30 years.

I don't see how its close tbph.

Semper Fooey
I noticed the poll was closed and old. So what? To compare a director of overblown spaghetti westerns with the range and quality of Lumet's films is a joke.