The Artist - Did it live up to the hype?

Tools    

Hi,

Read my review of why The Artist didn't live up to its hype, and let me know what you think

I don't know how much "hype" their actually was (I didn't hear about it for some time), but yes. It wasn't mind-blowing but it was gutsy, inventive, and lovely.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I feel like the "hype" mentioned is just some of the post-nomination talk about how good it was. Which was pretty muted, as far as "hype" goes.

C'mon. This has been hyped since last years Cannes. I've not seen it as it doesn't really interest me, though I have a friend who thinks the same and we were talking about giving it a shot together.

Yes I think the hype was all Oscar based. The more you read about a film and get yourself hyped up then nine times out of ten you're disappointed. I went to see The Artist when it came out over here in the UK without reading much about it and found it very charming and lots of fun.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've always had a problem with the word "hype". I'm not even sure what it means anymore. Every film which gets universal acclaim must be overhyped. If a film is constantly called a "must-see event" then it must be overhyped. If it makes a craptastic amount of money, it must be overhyped. Nowadays, even if it gets high ratings from everyday film watchers, it's considered overhyped. I don't think The Artist ever presented itself as anything more than a modest, entertaining, fun film, but since it had Harvey Weinstein behind it and won, it also now appears to be overhyped.

It's a great film. Can I just say how happy I am to be a part of this thread that will inevitably take a whole bunch of unwarranted shots at a truly wonderful film? I can? Good.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't think anything nominated for a Best Picture Oscar is being presented or has presented itself as a modest, entertaining, fun film.
You're just pissed (American usage) that For Your Height Only and Black Dynamite didn't get nominated.

At least Jaws and Star Wars did.

i don't think a movie with no words should deserve an Oscar. it seems ridiculous ..not down for this movie at all.

That makes no more sense than saying a movie with lots of words should never win an Oscar.

Not being "down" with a movie is one thing (though did you see it? Sounds like you didn't). Suggesting that your own completely arbitrary standards of patience should serve as a barometer for the Oscars is another.

no I haven't seen it, because in my own opinion i don't think i can sit through a movie with no words and in black and white. its 2012, i enjoy movies with colour and words.

no I haven't seen it, because in my own opinion i don't think i can sit through a movie with no words and in black and white. its 2012, i enjoy movies with colour and words.
Because 100 years ago was such a useless time, may as well have been a million years, that style has no relevance at all. You're totally right.

That says something about you, not about the movie. Movies aren't bad just because you're not patient enough for them.

You're just pissed (American usage) that For Your Height Only and Black Dynamite didn't get nominated.

At least Jaws and Star Wars did.
I don't think that either Jaws or Star Wars would be considered "modest". They're definately fun and entertaining, though.

BTW, the Academy would be a much better organization were it one that'd nominate For Your Height Only or Black Dynamite for Best Picture.

It was a fun experience and I'm glad that Hazanavicius decided to create this type of movie and remind everyone about silent era.However,I'm not sure if it deserved those oscars.It was just a copy of great movies,but not a great movie itself.