Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Nice Guys (2016)

Meh... A couple of funny scenes in a otherwise really boring film. Was expecting a lot more to be honest. Ryan Gosling does a great job though.

+
I liked it a chunk more than you (I'd probably give it a 3.5), but I felt as if it borrowed too much from the formula of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a film I absolutely adore.

I have to say that, having seen it two or three times, the scene where Gosling breaks the glass and cuts himself makes me laugh uproariously every time--quality unexpected gory slapstick.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I liked it a chunk more than you (I'd probably give it a 3.5), but I felt as if it borrowed too much from the formula of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a film I absolutely adore.

I have to say that, having seen it two or three times, the scene where Gosling breaks the glass and cuts himself makes me laugh uproariously every time--quality unexpected gory slapstick.
Yeah, KKBB is of a whole different league!

The one scene that made me laugh out loud was when Crowe ask Gosling to pass him the pistol and he throws it out the window!

Yeah, KKBB is of a whole different league!

The one scene that made me laugh out loud was when Crowe ask Gosling to pass him the pistol and he throws it out the window!
I went in to The Nice Guys with tempered expectations because I knew that it wouldn't be as strong. Having those lowered expectations helped, because I liked the movie and maybe even liked it a bit more on a rewatch.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005)

Movies everyone watched but I didn't: Part 4623870643

The chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (neither of them ever looked hotter btw) makes the film. The rest is pretty much all the generic spy romcom stuff mixed together and easily 30 minutes too long.

+

Jerry Seinfeld: 23 Hours To Kill 2020 Directed by Joe DeMaio

I've been wanting to do a Stand Up Comedy HoF, it's nice to see some love by stand up specials around here

THE USUAL SUSPECTS
(1995)

Re-watch. The movie that not only made Kevin Spacey a big star, but the movie that revolutionized the "twist ending". Keyser Soze remains the most intriguing and mysterious villain in movie history. Great performances by the entire cast.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Invisible Man (2020)

My wife and I both loved this and I wasn't expecting much at all. Elizabeth Moss was a good get for the role and I already liked Aldis Hodge from TV's City on a Hill. I saw it as more of a thriller and it got better as it went on. The restaurant scene was an unexpected shocker that changed the way I saw it as a whole.

The Invisible Man (2020)

My wife and I both loved this and I wasn't expecting much at all. Elizabeth Moss was a good get for the role and I already liked Aldis Hodge from TV's City on a Hill. I saw it as more of a thriller and it got better as it went on. The restaurant scene was an unexpected shocker that changed the way I saw it as a whole.
This is one of those movies where I jokingly say "I'm glad you liked it so we can still be friends."

This was actually the last film I got to see in a theater before the COVID lockdown and it was such a great experience.

The movie, like you say, plays more closely to thriller beats and it manages to generate several shocking, "game changing" moments as it goes along. Moss is excellent in the lead role, and the confident direction and use of space makes the unseen villain a powerful presence. The choice to only
WARNING: spoilers below
see the ex for a few moments at the beginning and then a few minutes at the end
is bold and ends up working so well.

A big pet peeve that I often have with horror movies (especially the "am I crazy?" variety) is that I get frustrated by character choices. But this was a script where I never had any major issues with her actions and the film wisely front-loads the action by establishing her anxiety and paranoia before things kick off.

Also, on a note that's smaller but important to me: I was so glad that
the dog survived! And also that it never betrayed her by barking as you were led to think it might.

This is one of those movies where I jokingly say "I'm glad you liked it so we can still be friends."

This was actually the last film I got to see in a theater before the COVID lockdown and it was such a great experience.

The movie, like you say, plays more closely to thriller beats and it manages to generate several shocking, "game changing" moments as it goes along. Moss is excellent in the lead role, and the confident direction and use of space makes the unseen villain a powerful presence. The choice to only

A big pet peeve that I often have with horror movies (especially the "am I crazy?" variety) is that I get frustrated by character choices. But this was a script where I never had any major issues with her actions and the film wisely front-loads the action by establishing her anxiety and paranoia before things kick off.

the dog survived! And also that it never betrayed her by barking as you were led to think it might.
I thought it was a good choice for the lead to be aware of what was going on so quickly. I think usually that character would be clueless for 3/4 of the runtime. There will always be a leap of faith with something like this but showing her as capable certainly helped.

I thought it was a good choice for the lead to be aware of what was going on so quickly. I think usually that character would be clueless for 3/4 of the runtime. There will always be a leap of faith with something like this but showing her as capable certainly helped.
It's a good choice because we the audience already know what's happening. It can be painful watching a protagonist trying to suss things out for too long.

I think that part of the horror of the film is that knowing what's happening doesn't actually help her. In fact, it harms her several times because of the reactions she gets when she tries to explain it. It's a similar dynamic to something like Fright Night.

I liked it well enough, but didn’t love it. Are you still friends with me?

Ha, I felt the same about the dog! Animals being randomly hurt to get back at the owner is another cliché I’ve had enough of. I was rewatching Ozark last night out of sheer boredom, and felt really annoyed about the horse.

I liked it well enough, but didn’t love it. Are you still friends with me?
Well, as long as you liked it I GUESS we can still be friends. But be warned.

Ha, I felt the same about the dog! Animals being randomly hurt to get back at the owner is another cliché I’ve had enough of. I was rewatching Ozark last night out of sheer boredom, and felt really annoyed about the horse.
Agreed. It's so predictable, so cheap, and so cruel. Someone tried to get me to watch the show Damages and in like the first ten minutes a little dog ran across the screen. I told her "If anything happens to that dog just to prove a point about someone being evil, I'm not watching anymore of this show." So anyway I've seen one episode of Damages.

Macbeth (2015)

Wonderfully realized adaptation of the Shakespeare story about the Thane of Cawdor. A bit arty but I think that helps (me anyway) when trying to tie the film with the original tale. The cast are wonderful and committed and the direction is sharp. Liked this. Fassbender *holds* and carries the part.

(1971)

I love Clint Eastwood, but I found this movie to be pretty dull. Certainly wouldn’t bother watching again.
It’s really weird, isn’t it? There’s also a 2017 remake. I didn’t much care for either.

Oh dear. I don’t know how come I watched this, since I usually hate comedies. It is a terrible film, but I thought the premise had potential. Tension is good where it stems from the expectations of what the other person is like, which are then shattered. That results in shock. I liked the way the premise that one can safely predict what a ‘classy’ woman (or indeed anyone) likes/hates is undermined.
It could have been a drama or psychological thriller (like Restraint 2008) and who knows what would happen.

The Business (2005)

Nick Love special here, all the usual faces (Danny, Tamer, Geoff) but its quite interesting for the snap in time when the film is set. Danny plays Frankie, seduced into the drug dealing scene on the Costa del Sol. Lots of "geezerish" capers follow till they end up in a cycle of mutual mistrust causing their downfall. Not great, not awful, watchable.