Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

My Name Is Nobody (1973)

Ok, the spaghetti comedy western is not a genre that ranks highly in my *must see* list but I made an exception for this one. It's a charming tale of a laid back gunslinger (Terence Hill, who is wonderful not to say gorgeous) who idolises retired gunman Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda). The laughs are genuinely funny, expected and unexpected, and there is a nice warm-heartedness about the film.

I really liked this and it has one of the best Ennio Morricone "signature tunes" that me walking around whistling it all day with a smile on my face.

[quote=Takoma11;2110042]I'm sick and spending the day on the couch. Can you tell?!

The one great side effect of the day on the couch is the filmage Tacoma11...whether the ailment is self-inflicted or not!

The Golden Glove (2019)

-

I didn't realize until after that this was from the same director who made 2004's Head-On, which I thought was brilliant and powerful. This is such a different kind of movie, especially in style. It's based on the true story of a 70's German serial killer. The violence is not constant but it is still nasty. Everyone and everything is ugly and dirty and I felt grimy after watching it. I don't see it listed as a comedy anywhere but I thought it was hilarious. If you have a sick sense of humor then watch it.

Palm Springs (2020)

This rating may come down over time, but given the circumstances, this may be the funniest movie of 2020 so far. I've enjoyed watching Andy Samberg in Brooklyn Nine-Nine over the years, and Cristin Milioti is a perfect comedic compliment to him in this. The movie's last third does steer a bit harder away from humor than I would've liked, but I suppose that's how it tries to tie the more serious romantic part of the plot together.

I really liked Victim. I thought that the mystery aspect of it was compelling (ie who are the blackmailers). I thought that it did a good job of sympathetically portraying a horrible situation (a man having to hide his sexuality to the extent that he marries a woman for "cover") without making anyone the villain. And I thought that it made an excellent case for why stigmatizing and criminalizing consensual sexual behaviors is a threat to the emotional and literal well-being of a society.

And it's more than ironic that the main actor who played the victim of the blackmail scheme may himself have been gay and forced to hide the fact for the sake of his career.

The one great side effect of the day on the couch is the filmage Tacoma11...whether the ailment is self-inflicted or not!
Three movies in a day is pretty spectacular for me these days. A fantasy/comedy, a horror/thriller, and a creature feature. Not too shabby!

Maps to the Stars (2014)

Not a great fan of film about film/fame but found this David Cronenberg offering interesting. There's a lot of really annoying performances (intended I suppose) but the story itself can actually carry that. The whole thing just seems a bit....flat. I dunno if it was supposed to be shocking or suspenseful but, for me, it just bubbles along to its conclusion. Think that the personalities for this film were just painted in too broad brush strokes.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't realize until after that this was from the same director who made 2004's Head-On, which I thought was brilliant and powerful.
Love the director and Head-On. Don't like this one.

Super Dark Times (2017)

I like this film (rewatch). The rating might be a bit much, but it reflects my never-changing attachment to it. It’s like the smarter, neater cousin to Donnie Darko. There are some elements which call for suspension of disbelief, especially
WARNING: spoilers below
Josh’s actions towards the end, which veer towards excessively psychopathic and also seem better thought-through than thirteen-year-olds’ actions generally are.
@Takoma11, this is a mild case of kids acting a bit too mature in my opinion. It can be blamed on the fact kids in the ‘90s were more innovative than now, I guess, but it makes me pause each time, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s not perfectly integrated into the narrative. The film definitely has a soul, and the cast did a good job. The minimalist soundtrack and the subdued colour scheme work well here.

Super Dark Times (2017)

5/5

I really like this film (rewatch). The rating might be a bit much, but it reflects my never-changing attachment to it. It’s like the smarter, neater cousin to Donnie Darko. There are some elements which call for suspension of disbelief, especially
WARNING: spoilers below
Josh’s actions towards the end, which veer towards excessively psychopathic and also seem better thought-through than thirteen-year-olds’ actions generally are.
@Takoma11, this is a mild case of kids acting a bit too mature in my opinion. It can be blamed on the fact kids in the ‘90s were more innovative than now,*I guess, but it makes me pause each time, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s not perfectly integrated into the narrative. The film definitely has a soul, and the cast did a good job. The minimalist soundtrack and the subdued colour scheme work well here.

Thank you. The weird thing is, as far as I know I’m doing exactly that (tried phone + laptop), they stopped showing yesterday but it worked fine before.

You have 5/5 inside the rating tags but you should only put 5 in there.

@Takoma11, this is a mild case of kids acting a bit too mature in my opinion. It can be blamed on the fact kids in the ‘90s were more innovative than now,*I guess, but it makes me pause each time, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s not perfectly integrated into the narrative.
Were they, though? I think that most kids I work with are equally or even more creative than the ones I knew back in elementary school.

I don't mind kids in films being smart. It's more that 90% of the time when I see kids in movies or on TV shows (even ones that are supposed to seem very realistic), it's like the person who wrote their lines never actually met a child before. The way that they speak or the way that they respond to events rings especially false to my ears. (Though, ironically, I'm watching a TV episode right now with two very naturalistic child actors).

Like you say, though, it's mostly about whether or not it flows with the narrative.

Were they, though? I think that most kids I work with are equally or even more creative than the ones I knew back in elementary school.

I don't mind kids in films being smart. It's more that 90% of the time when I see kids in movies or on TV shows (even ones that are supposed to seem very realistic), it's like the person who wrote their lines never actually met a child before. The way that they speak or the way that they respond to events rings especially false to my ears. (Though, ironically, I'm watching a TV episode right now with two very naturalistic child actors).

Like you say, though, it's mostly about whether or not it flows with the narrative.
That makes sense. Slang and the way teenagers interact among themselves is very hard to film, because adults don’t get to observe that, and filmmakers are still outsiders. I think that’s something pretty much impossible to get ‘right’.

What are you watching, then?

That makes sense. Slang and the way teenagers interact among themselves is very hard to film, because adults don’t get to observe that, and filmmakers are still outsiders. I think that’s something pretty much impossible to get ‘right’.

What are you watching, then?
I'm watching an episode of Preacher and there was a short scene with two kids whose dialogue was a bit clumsy (back to that complaint about how kids talk), but they had great chemistry with each other and the adult actress and it was fun to watch them in their two short scenes.

I'm watching an episode of Preacher and there was a short scene with two kids whose dialogue was a bit clumsy (back to that complaint about how kids talk), but they had great chemistry with each other and the adult actress and it was fun to watch them in their two short scenes.
Sounds great.*I’ll check it out. Enjoy.

Sounds great.*I’ll check it out. Enjoy.
I'm only a few episodes in, but I like it so far. Haven't seen quite enough to strongly recommend it yet, but so far so good. It's streaming on Hulu if that's a service you have.

Taipei Story (1985, Edward Yang)

Yang's second feature is a more compact affair compared to his sprawling debut - and a lot more somber. It's a film of interminable, transcendental bleakness, filled with wistful silences and ellipses between the lines, that tell a story of a doomed relationship meandering through the aimlessness of existence more eloquently than a million words ever could.