MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2016 Signups

Tools    

The Rays got Corey Dickerson. I know that guy can seriously earn, I really hope he doesnt fall off dramatically leaving the thin air of Colorado. If he bats behind Longo, oh baby! Hopefully we'll be keeping Loney too and he can rebound from last year where he missed 80% of season from injuries.

I should be available for both draft dates. I would prefer a standard snake draft. I've never participated in an auction draft and it's my first year in this league, so I would prefer to stay in my comfort zone for my first season. I'm fine with everything else.

Since he just replied, now's a great time to welcome our newest owner to the league! seanc decided to take a break this year, so Fabulous is filling in. He joined (and won) the football league this past year, too, so a few of you have already competed against him.

We'll probably be adding one more new owner in the next couple of days, too, which would bring us to 12. Unless we get a couple of more requests for entry, that's probably where we'll end up.

I should be available for both draft dates. I would prefer a standard snake draft. I've never participated in an auction draft and it's my first year in this league, so I would prefer to stay in my comfort zone for my first season. I'm fine with everything else.
Good!

Make Believe Registered User
I'm in! Either Sunday works for me. Heading to Bradenton the 26th thru April 3rd. Going to live the dream. I played a work league last year where we used QS over wins and it was great. So I am in on that. As far as the Auction format I do think a number of owners would get blown away by the changes of switching. Probably myself included. I am too afraid to give up what we have to try something new and have it blow up. Because this is 6 wonderful months of baseball that we don't want to be sour about because we messed up and over bid on some lowsy players and let someone run away with it because they had the remaining money. Why don't we do a secondary league of an auction style for those who what to give it a whirl and reconvene at the next winter meetings to see if we can agree on it. I do like the Auction style but I don't feel comfortable in staking a half year of my time to a team that might be completely crap.

Also idk about you guys but if you can find a 13 & 14th player I would be down for that as well.

A couple of thoughts:
-It looks like the idea of an auction draft is dead for this season—which is sad, but certainly understandable. If there was sufficient interest, I'd do a mock auction draft with the other members of this league that wanted to try one to see what it's like.
-I don't know how serious we are about expanding beyond 12 members, but I think we should decrease the roster size if we do. At the moment we have 12 teams of 23 players (276). If we went to 13 or 14 managers, we'd be looking at 299 or 322 drafted players, respectively. Approaching 300 drafted players really thins out the bottom of your active roster and really thins out the FA pool. So, I'd propose that we cut our roster size by 1 spot per added manager (so 13 managers x 22 roster spots = 286; 14 managers x 21 roster spots = 294).

A couple of thoughts:
-It looks like the idea of an auction draft is dead for this season—which is sad, but certainly understandable. If there was sufficient interest, I'd do a mock auction draft with the other members of this league that wanted to try one to see what it's like.
-I don't know how serious we are about expanding beyond 12 members, but I think we should decrease the roster size if we do. At the moment we have 12 teams of 23 players (276). If we went to 13 or 14 managers, we'd be looking at 299 or 322 drafted players, respectively. Approaching 300 drafted players really thins out the bottom of your active roster and really thins out the FA pool. So, I'd propose that we cut our roster size by 1 spot per added manager (so 13 managers x 22 roster spots = 286; 14 managers x 21 roster spots = 294).

I would like to do more Auction style drafts. We did do a 14 player league a couple of years ago if I am not mistaken. I actually like the depth aspect the most here. You are not just drafting the top all-stars all the time. For the same reason why everyone likes the Auction, I like this because it requires more preparation and you need to stay constantly in-tune with what is going on in the league. The attention for this is something you need throughout the whole year and not just in the initial draft week.

So I am Pro 14 players with full rosters, but that also requires 2 more serious FB owners.

I would like to do more Auction style drafts. We did do a 14 player league a couple of years ago if I am not mistaken. I actually like the depth aspect the most here. You are not just drafting the top all-stars all the time. For the same reason why everyone likes the Auction, I like this because it requires more preparation and you need to stay constantly in-tune with what is going on in the league. The attention for this is something you need throughout the whole year and not just in the initial draft week.

So I am Pro 14 players with full rosters, but that also requires 2 more serious FB owners.
So having a bigger roster means a thinner FA pool and I think that puts much more emphasis on the draft and doesn't reward people who want to keep up with the daily happenings of MLB.

I think fantasy baseball should be a balance of the draft, in-season transactions, and who you actually start and it should be roughly to the tune of 45%, 45%, 10%; which is to say that in-season moves matter a lot and, over the course of the year, can have as large of an effect on your team as the draft, whereas picking the daily start versus bench roles shouldn't matter too much provided you're updating your roster and rotating your pitchers. (For comparison sake, I think fantasy football is something like 60/20/20 and the draft matters a lot more).

So I proposed and would be in favor of increasing our roster size to 24 if we don't add anybody else, but I do think we should avoid having gigantic rosters (or large(r) rosters with more teams in the league) because it cuts into the potential rewards for the managers who are active.

And I think that - current roster size plus snake draft - strikes a nice balance between the people who are very active and those who are less active. (I think our league is really, really good and all of the managers do a nice job of keeping up with their teams)

Don't let me disrupt the conversation or anything, but a quick update: please welcome Matt (aka ursaguy) to the league!

That gives us two new owners, and 12 teams total. Barring a late surge in interest for a couple more people, this'll probably be our slate. And since everyone who's weighed in has said they're okay with March 13th and Quality Starts in place of Wins, the plan for now is to go with both.

So what are all the categories for this year. I remember something else being different last year.

Also I want my Pirate hat back!

Oh screw it, lets just do the draft in a half hour, send the emails and we'll just get er dun' ! Charge!
jk

Can we draw our draft positions ahead of the draft again? Did anybody have a problem with that?

Wow, how'd I forget that. My bad.

It'll be too hard getting everyone to even check this thread, but I think because this is still random and everyone was cool with it last year, I'll give everyone about 24 hours to object, and if nobody does, I'll determine the order randomly tomorrow.

Oh, but worth noting: that only applies to "pick the order randomly in advance." I think we need a lot of buy-in if we want to pick the order that in turn decides who gets to pick their order. We should've remembered to bring that up last week, but it might be hard to do now, especially since a few owners only check in every couple weeks.

Wow, how'd I forget that. My bad.
To be fair, when you said we didn't do it, I panicked and thought I was crazy, so I only somehow barely remembered that it happened.

I only remembered today in the first place because my friend, Doug, told me that his league drew in advance and he got the #1 pick.