MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2014 - The Regular Season

Tools    

Well, he isn't in the top 300 this year and he's already missed time. If his name wasn't Carlos Gonzalez, he would be unowned and nobody would care about him or even trade David Price for him.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The trade makes sense if we're declaring the season over and crowning Quickie Marte the champ. I don't understand it at all.

^^^ Thats basically it in a nutshell.

Is it balanced, yes. Theyre both top tier players and the fact Cargo missed time has 0 to do with what hes really worth. If it were a few months ago when Kershaw missed the beginning of the season then does that make him not top tier? No. Cargo is still playing top tier ball when healthy. Price is throwing as good as he was in his Cy Young year, and thats straight from many Rays players, coaches, and Prices mouth.

To veto this isnt due to imbalance, but strategy. Do we want Quickie Marte to have David Price? Strategically it makes sense for us to veto, but lets be honest why and avoid any drama or possible hurt feelings from this. Its just a game.

Re: the Gonzalez deal. I think it's pretty obviously a bad trade, value-wise, but saying it's an indefensible trade is a higher bar to clear. Tim is technically correct when he says that Gonzalez's name is the only reason he's valued highly, but then, I don't find that to a bad reason to value him highly. Every year star players get off to slow starts, and most of the time they play a lot better going forward. It's totally reasonable to expect Gonzalez to play very well going forward.

The argument against the deal, I think, is that it's not really buying low on CarGo: it's paying a price commensurate for what his production is supposed to be, so that there's very little upside even if he does play at his usual level the rest of the way. The whole point of trading for someone like CarGo is to pay significantly less than you normally would.

Now, Roto does lead to some wild late-season trades because of the scoring system (some categories become far more valuable than others to certain teams). And I think it's perfectly reasonable for Scott to punt Wins the rest of the way. But what about Ks, ERA, and WHIP? Glancing at the standings breakdown, Price could easily be the difference in two points in Ks, just as many in ERA (one taken, one that could be easily lost), and even more in WHIP.

I don't really see the upside. Feels like a "Might as well just try something different" trade, which happens sometimes down the stretch if a team feels it doesn't have much to lose. Which is understandable, but not actually a competitive calculation (which is usually all I require to refrain from voting against something--a plausible competitive reason for it).

Well it was vetoed down. I didnt think the veto was immediate, but took place when the trade was supposed to go thru. It seems thats not the case.

I saw that it was vetoed, which is good, I think. The other thought I had about it was that Price could be trade for pretty much any hitter ranked 15th-50th who is having a good year. Among those players are a lot of guys who are both well-established AND living up their expected production, more or less. Price for Adam Jones, Josh Donaldson, Ian Kinsler, Pujols, Braun, Moss, Beltre, etc are all pretty viable.

As far as I can tell, Quickie Marte never accepted the trade so no one had the option to veto it. I checked this morning and it still said that I had "proposed" a trade to him, and then I checked a little bit later and it was gone. Unless he accepted and you all vetoed in that small window, which is possible. Hopefully Quickie comes on here and clarifies. But I'm really mystified by the reaction to this trade. Either you all are forgetting how good Cargo is, or you really all do think that his performance in the first half of this season is more predictive than what he's done the last 4 seasons before this one.

Makes me proud to be a part of this league when I don't even have to hit the veto button on such an obviously lopsided deal.

I'm clearly in the minority on this trade, so I won't try to argue. I fully understand that David Price is a great pitcher having a great season, and in my quest for a high-end hitter, I apparently didn't aim high enough.

...On a side note, David Price is on the trading block and I'm looking for an elite hitter

Well I offered Dozier & Springer for David Price, and was understandably turned down. Right now its too late in the season to make a DL investment with a player.

-sob!-

Make Believe Registered User
Sorry I do not post on here more guys. Chris told me to check this out in regards to the veto.Well I believe it is a bunch of bs that it was vetoed. Clearly BC I am in first place. I understand the strategy behind it but its not about what they have done but what they are projected to do for the rest of the year. I thought the veto was only for instances where like a manager is trying to unload their team for like a bag of balls. This is bs and Boo to you for allowing the veto.

No, I'm against it because it wasn't a good trade. CarGo wasn't hitting well enough to be traded for Price at the beginning of the year when he was presumably healthy (.255 avg, 26 R, 30 RBI, 9 HR) when he went on the DL at the beginning of June and he's been horrible since he's been back. I get that extrapolating his stats makes him look better - he could be closing in on 20 HR - but he's hurt. He gets hurt a lot. Like every single season. I also have a sense that he doesn't like to play even kind of hurt. I owned him (in my other league) last season and he basically missed the last 50 games in spite of all of the media outlets reporting that he looked okay practicing everyday.

If he ends up having the season that he was drafted to in the last 50 games - and that's a big if - then the trade looks like it will be a push. But if you want Price and feel so strongly about CarGo, then why don't you keep CarGo and trade one of your established hitters who are actually having a good, healthy season for Price? Price is ranked 20th in our league and you can alternatively offer David Ortiz (ranked 55th), Justin Upton (ranked 44th), possibly Marlon Byrd (ranked 62nd), or Nelson Cruz (ranked 15th), or even package some lesser hitters. I won't even think about voting any of those down.

I have a strange feeling that Vance Worley is going to be owned (and then dropped and then owned again) in our league tomorrow haha

Think again

I should change my team name to The Dreary Doldrums. Just the most frustrating season I could imagine. I shall frustrate myself no mo'!

C_ Russell Martin/Wilson Ramos
1B Jose Abreu - If I get the #1 overall pick next year Ill draft Abreu.
2B Brian Dozier
3B Edwin Encarnacion (Juan Francisco for now)
SS Alexei Ramirez
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Austin Jackson - He woke up! Hey, welcome to the season pal.
OF Marcell Ozuna
UT Khris Davis - Say what you will but hes better than the other Chris Davis.
UT James Loney

BN Ryan Howard
BN J.D. Martinez - please heat up again -begging smiley-
BN George Springer - Heal you swinging for the fences bastid' heal! (Ryan Howard for now)

SP Alex Cobb
SP Jake Odorizzi
RP Jake McGee
RP Jake Petricka - Was there a sequel to The Two Jakes?
P__Santiago Casilla
P__James Paxton - One day.....
P__Danny Salazar
BN Chris Archer
BN Marcus Stroman

Not so long ago, I took a look at your roster and realized that you don't have a single player on your current team that you drafted. That's pretty crazy to me. I still have 9, I think - Wright, Kipnis, Napoli, Heyward, Trout, Andrus, Greinke, Gray, Kennedy, and Perkins.

Yeah I knew for a long time Torii Hunter was my lone holdout (Mikey wont part with him now ). If someones not earning then I find ones that are. I got some back that I traded away though with Chris Archer, Alexei Ramirez, and Alex Cobb.

Funny thought though, I should have named my team Quickie Marte as any of my players were for sale

Maybe if David Wright had the fear of being cut from my fantasy team, he would turn things around.