Halfway To Halloween

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I'm laughing so hard at this next movie I actually drooled on myself. I do not exaggerate.

Victim of The Night

Oh my goodness! What a good sport my mother was.

I am proud, yes, proud to be one of the proud few (we're really proud) to have seen Ghoulies in the theater in 1984.
Yet perhaps prouder still to have had the World's most awesome Mom to have taken 12 year-old Wooley and his good buddy, Mike, out to The Plaza In Lake Forest Cinema and endure Ghoulies in 1984 for her son.
I mean, good people, that's love.
What can I say about Ghoulies? Well, I laughed. A lot. And while some of it may not have necessarily been at jokes in the movie but the joke the movie is, it was also along with Charles Band and this intrepid cast and crew for telling the joke. I mean, on the one hand, this movie actually has a story and sort of characters (ish) and then some action (ish), all of which one could make fun of, yet, it's hard to mock a film that is fairly successfully mocking itself. And it is. With a bit of verve, honestly, given the budget. Everyone involved with this film, with the possible exception of future Law & Order Mega-TV-Star Mariska Hargitay, seems in on the joke and having a time without just overtly giving up the ghost. Hell, maybe Mariska is too.
It's hard to find the words to describe or critique a film about trollish, mostly-latex Gremlin rip-offs, a family of scenery chewing would-be sorcerers, something with two midgets wearing helmets, and a lot of glowing green eyes.
Yet I was not exactly deterred. I thought there was something just... well, it's just silly fun. It's just silly fun. It's absurd, it's low-budget, I actually clearly saw the seam across the top of the head of one of the Ghoulies (who are like little mini-demons conjured by the aforementioned sorcerers), but honestly, we've all seen worse horror movies with much less of a sense of humor about themselves.
So, this one's for my mother, I wholeheartedly recommend Ghoulies.

My father took my to see Ghoulies in the theatre, but protected himself by immediately falling into a Budweiser induced coma. And even though he only saw the first three minutes, he still hated it. And so did I.

I've got pretty much no experience with the Gremlins-Ripoff subgenre. (In fact, I don't think I've even seen Gremlins 2).
Are any of them "good"?
I don't think I ever saw Ghoulies, but I remember Gremlins 2, Critters, and even Munchies to be fun. However, I haven't seen any in more than 20 or maybe 30 years, so take from that what you may.

Victim of The Night
My father took my to see Ghoulies in the theatre, but protected himself by immediately falling into a Budweiser induced coma. And even though he only saw the first three minutes, he still hated it. And so did I.
Cheers on seeing it in the theater, boo on not liking it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I somehow convinced mom to take me to see Ghoulies too. I must have been 8. I'm pretty sure we took two movies in that day to wash some of that down with, but I think I liked it---for as much as an 8-year old kid could like such a movie. I can't remember what the other movie was though. I'm guessing, but it might have been Police Academy or Breakin'. I don't THINK I watched either of those in the theater, but I'm sure we watched something completely different, after.

I don't remember comedy in Ghoulies (of the few memories I do have), just scary rubber puppet monsters coming out of the toilet, for sure that hand-drawn blue lightning everywhere, some weird witchcraft and maybe an old man? I could be mixing him up from House 2. It all scared me well enough though and thought I was pretty tough to make it through to the end. Friends were always competing by watching horror, bragging about what parents would allow and such. Friday the 13th stuff always scared the hell out of me as a concept, so I couldn't watch them. But later releases from the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise was great fun when I got a bit older. For that point in time, though, Ghoulies was about as deep as I could go.

Huh.
The more I try to think on this, the weirder my tastes were. I was scared to watch Gremlins, but totally cool to watch Munchies, Critters, and The Gate? The hell was wrong with me? I guess I can blame my friend Chris. We were either in the 4th or 5th grade and I was at his house for a sleepover. We watched A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Stuff, and I THINK Invaders from Mars. Oh! And Dreamscape! lol. Maybe surviving that night thickened my skin a bit.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I've got pretty much no experience with the Gremlins-Ripoff subgenre. (In fact, I don't think I've even seen Gremlins 2).
Are any of them "good"?
Those movies were a B mess for the most part (depending what you're wanting out of them, I guess?), but I LOVED Gremlins 2. It was so silly and fun. "If you build a place for things, then things come." *slips on gremlin goo*

Are any of them "good"?

Pretty sure Critters has a legit fanbase.

Victim of The Night
I somehow convinced mom to take me to see Ghoulies too. I must have been 8. I'm pretty sure we took two movies in that day to wash some of that down with, but I think I liked it---for as much as an 8-year old kid could like such a movie. I can't remember what the other movie was though. I'm guessing, but it might have been Police Academy or Breakin'. I don't THINK I watched either of those in the theater, but I'm sure we watched something completely different, after.

I don't remember comedy in Ghoulies (of the few memories I do have), just scary rubber puppet monsters coming out of the toilet, for sure that hand-drawn blue lightning everywhere, some weird witchcraft and maybe an old man? I could be mixing him up from House 2. It all scared me well enough though and thought I was pretty tough to make it through to the end. Friends were always competing by watching horror, bragging about what parents would allow and such. Friday the 13th stuff always scared the hell out of me as a concept, so I couldn't watch them. But later releases from the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise was great fun when I got a bit older. For that point in time, though, Ghoulies was about as deep as I could go.

Huh.
The more I try to think on this, the weirder my tastes were. I was scared to watch Gremlins, but totally cool to watch Munchies, Critters, and The Gate? The hell was wrong with me? I guess I can blame my friend Chris. We were either in the 4th or 5th grade and I was at his house for a sleepover. We watched A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Stuff, and I THINK Invaders from Mars. Oh! And Dreamscape! lol. Maybe surviving that night thickened my skin a bit.
Could it have been Ninja III: The Domination?!!!

I kid, because I saw these two movies within, say, five months of each other in the same theater with my same friend... and my same poor mother having to sit through them to make her little boy happy.

Ghoulies comedy is all sort of tongue-in-cheekness about everything. I mean the movie is silly. Really silly. And there is no way it could have been as silly as it was without them knowing it was silly.

Dreamscape.
Bangin' film.
I did a big write-up with like at least 5 screecaps on it back in September... on Corri. All gone now.
I enjoyed watching Siskel and Ebert argue about it.

Victim of The Night
Still one of their funniest sketches to me, but maybe that's just cause I'm into movies.

Still one of their funniest sketches to me, but maybe that's just cause I'm into movies.
That's a good one, but if I had to pick just one K&P skit for my favorite...

Victim of The Night

Just watch Chopping Mall. Great for all the wrong reasons.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...55#post2193955
I was disappointed by Chopping Mall. But I had high expectations.

Victim of The Night
I'm takin' a flyer on this one I saw in the theater but have been hesitant to revisit.
I mean a real flyer in that it has been both pretty good and pretty bad in the first 6 1/2 minutes.

Update - I may do something I only do like once every few years. I may bail on this movie. It didn't occur to me it was this terrible. Man, mainstream horror was ****in' garbage (outside of Scream) from like 1989-2012 or something. I mean, I literally said Ghoulies was good like 36 hours ago and yet I really can't take much more of this.

Honestly, this is unwatchable. I give in. What a shame.

I'm takin' a flyer on this one I saw in the theater but have been hesitant to revisit.
I mean a real flyer in that it has been both pretty good and pretty bad in the first 6 1/2 minutes.

Update - I may do something I only do like once every few years. I may bail on this movie. It didn't occur to me it was this terrible. Man, mainstream horror was ****in' garbage (outside of Scream) from like 1989-2012 or something. I mean, I literally said Ghoulies was good like 36 hours ago and yet I really can't take much more of this.

Honestly, this is unwatchable. I give in. What a shame.
Name names!