My 30 Favorite 80's Movies

Tools    

Just thought to ask, What are everyone's favorite 30 80's movies? you can list more or less if you like

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Victim of The Night
I'm gonna limit it to American movies or my list is gonna be over 100. I cut it down from about 80 to about 40, best I could do. The ones I had to cut caused me physical pain.

Paris, Texas
Heavy Metal
Airplane
The Last Starfighter
My Dinner With Andre
Empire Strikes Back
Caddyshack
After Hours
Mad Max
The Cannonball Run
Evil Dead 2
48 Hrs.
The Beastmaster
Blade Runner
Conan The Barbarian
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Tron
The Big Chill
The Last Dragon
Streets Of Fire
The Princess Bride
Rumble Fish
Trading Places
Videodrome
Amadeus
Repo Man
Ghostbusters
Johnny Dangerously
Fright Night
Night Of The Comet
The Terminator
The Blues Brothers
The Fog
Return Of The Living Dead
Silverado
The Color Of Money
Beetlejuice
Escape From New York
Bull Durham
A Nightmare On Elm Street

Pretty solid list. Pretty in Pink is the only film I don't like, everything else is either pretty great or a lot of fun. Can't Buy Me Love was one I loved as a teen but am afraid to revisit because I know it's not going to hold up for me and I'm happy with the memory of liking it. Raiders is my no. 1 of the 80's as well. Glad to see a Friday the 13th make it. Part 2 is my personal fav but the Final Chapter is a close second.
loved that movie aswell and loved patrick dempsey on it aswell cause his one of my favorite people on greys anatomy also and its sad that amanda peterson died in 2015

Victim of The Night
One other thing I'll say, discovered while researching what my top 80s movies would be, and corroborated by a close friend who also grew up in the 80s, 1989 was the worst year for American movies of that decade and has to go into the competition for worst year in film.
And generally the decade got worse and worse as it went along from about 1985 on. Like '84 was pretty much still bangin' and then '85 your'e like, "Ok, still plenty of good stuff here but this was maybe not as good as the previous five years," and then as you continue to progress there are fewer and fewer movies even worthy of consideration until you finally get to 1989 and we looked at each other and were like, "****, what happened?!"

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm gonna limit it to American movies or my list is gonna be over 100. I cut it down from about 80 to about 40, best I could do. The ones I had to cut caused me physical pain.

The Last Starfighter
Empire Strikes Back
The Cannonball Run
Blade Runner
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Tron
The Big Chill
The Princess Bride
Ghostbusters
The Terminator
Bull Durham

These are my favorite movies from your list. Many of these are on a lot of favorites lists, but it's nice to see some love for The Last Starfighter, The Cannonball Run, and Tron.

Victim of The Night
These are my favorite movies from your list. Many of these are on a lot of favorites lists, but it's nice to see some love for The Last Starfighter, The Cannonball Run, and Tron.
The Last Starfighter has always been and I suspect always will be a little piece of joy for me.
Cannonball is just the sort of silly, yet real-world fun I can do with in my life. I laughed a lot and can quote virtually the entire movie.
Tron, though, I think of that as universally good. I recently watched Siskel and Ebert's contemporaneous review of Tron and they both loved the movie, fairly gushing about it. So at least I know I'm not alone in my love.

I did forget haha. I spent some time thinking about it, give me til tomorrow.
Sorry about that.
no problem lol

The trick is not minding
So I’ll go with a top 10, rather then a top 30, since till be easier:
Honorable Mentions:
Return of the Jedi, The Empire Strikes Back, Genocide, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Working Girl, After Hours, Full Metal Jacket, The Grave of the Fireflies, Akira, Moonstruck, Stardust Memories, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Blood Simple, Tootsie, Bull Durham. And many others I feel I’m leaving out.

10. Dust in the Wind
9. Ghostbusters
8. The Terminator
7. Kagemusha
6. E.T
5Amadeus
4.Raging Bull
3. John Carpenters The Thing
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
1.Platoon

So I’ll go with a top 10, rather then a top 30, since till be easier:
Honorable Mentions:
Return of the Jedi, The Empire Strikes Back, Genocide, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Working Girl, After Hours, Full Metal Jacket, The Grave of the Fireflies, Akira, Moonstruck, Stardust Memories, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Blood Simple, Tootsie, Bull Durham. And many others I feel I’m leaving out.

10. Dust in the Wind
9. Ghostbusters
8. The Terminator
7. Kagemusha
6. E.T
5Amadeus
4.Raging Bull
3. John Carpenters The Thing
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
1.Platoon
good choice. platoon is one of my favorite war movies

Victim of The Night
You guys are gonna have to tell me why you like Platoon so much.
I just rewatched it last year and... well, I'll be kind and say I didn't like it and we're all probably better off that my review got deleted with Corri so I can't repost it here.

You guys are gonna have to tell me why you like Platoon so much.
I just rewatched it last year and... well, I'll be kind and say I didn't like it and we're all probably better off that my review got deleted with Corri so I can't repost it here.
well to me its an amazing movie and storyline but i respect ur opinion!

No, I don't think that's particularly egregious since he doesn't do it, what he does do is give her to Anthony Michael Hall, who has sex with her while she's basically passed out, which is rape, and then she acts like it's ok and maybe even kind of a good thing because Hughes has serious issues. If someone a young woman didn't even know had sex with her while she was passed out drunk... I mean, there's not a lot of names for that.
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I got the impression that they didn't do anything. Even though he says, "Did we?" and she says, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure" and he asks, "Did I enjoy it?" I think it was just a joke because if he had to ask that question, I'm pretty sure they didn't do it? Because a nerd that was so girl-crazy, to put it lightly, would remember if he had done something. Plus, they were both still fully clothed, and he had his retainer on, which means he was awake enough to put it on like a good little boy does every night when he has a retainer. Plus, they were both kind of air-heads and I think that scene was played for a laugh because they weren't really sure despite what she said. I think he (Farmer Ted) would know if he had done something more than her because she was totally blitzed and he didn't drink as much as her, so the fact that he had to ask---nah, I never bought it. They did kiss right before Jake showed up but it seemed really tentative between them like it was really the first physical contact between them. Then they were really freaked when Jake showed up, because I thought they were scared how he would react to catching them kissing, not because they had had sex. I don't know---maybe I was too naive watching it the first time and forming my impression for subsequent viewings, but It seemed too innocent. I don't think, given all the goofiness of the entire movie, that Hughes would have inserted a rape joke in the movie. Just MHO.

Victim of The Night
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I got the impression that they didn't do anything. Even though he says, "Did we?" and she says, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure" and he asks, "Did I enjoy it?" I think it was just a joke because if he had to ask that question, I'm pretty sure they didn't do it? Because a nerd that was so girl-crazy, to put it lightly, would remember if he had done something. Plus, they were both still fully clothed, and he had his retainer on, which means he was awake enough to put it on like a good little boy does every night when he has a retainer. Plus, they were both kind of air-heads and I think that scene was played for a laugh because they weren't really sure despite what she said. I think he (Farmer Ted) would know if he had done something more than her because she was totally blitzed and he didn't drink as much as her, so the fact that he had to ask---nah, I never bought it. They did kiss right before Jake showed up but it seemed really tentative between them like it was really the first physical contact between them. Then they were really freaked when Jake showed up, because I thought they were scared how he would react to catching them kissing, not because they had had sex. I don't know---maybe I was too naive watching it the first time and forming my impression for subsequent viewings, but It seemed too innocent. I don't think, given all the goofiness of the entire movie, that Hughes would have inserted a rape joke in the movie. Just MHO.
Yeah, I think you're wrong on this one, when she says "I'm pretty sure we did" it's played very straight. That scene is pretty sincere. There's also been tons of discussion about it in the years since and Molly Ringwald and the actress who played the girlfriend have both discussed it pretty public. The joke is that the poor nerd finally had sex and was too drunk to remember it. There is no focus at all on how the poor girl feels about having been physical given to a male she doesn't even know while completely passed out and ending up having sex with him in her severely impaired state. This is why you can no longer legally give consent when you're drunk. The whole scene is just damned problematic. The upside is that it makes thoughtful men reconsider how they approach these situations. One could argue that this movie should be taught in classes to middle-school boys on how to never act as long as you live if you don't want to be a rapist.

#22.

Predator (1987)
Director: John McTiernan
Writers: Jim Thomas, John Thomas
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Kevin Peter Hall
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-FI
Runtime: 1 Hour and 47 Minutes
Rated R

A good action packed sci- fi film about a group of US. army fighters that were assigned to this island to go on this rescue mission, but soon realizing they were sent for another reason as they fight off this alien warrior hunter as it stalks them and attempting to kill them off one by one. This film was an interesting one to watch.

"Run... Go... Get to the chopper!" - Dutch played by Arnold Schwarzenegger
I saw this for the first time a few months ago, it was awesome.

#15.

Pretty in Pink (1986)
Director: Howard Deutch
Writer: John Hughes
Cast: Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer, Harry Dean Stanton
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 37 Minutes
Rated PG 13

Another movie I never tire of re-watching.

Yeah, I think you're wrong on this one, when she says "I'm pretty sure we did" it's played very straight. That scene is pretty sincere. There's also been tons of discussion about it in the years since and Molly Ringwald and the actress who played the girlfriend have both discussed it pretty public. The joke is that the poor nerd finally had sex and was too drunk to remember it. There is no focus at all on how the poor girl feels about having been physical given to a male she doesn't even know while completely passed out and ending up having sex with him in her severely impaired state. This is why you can no longer legally give consent when you're drunk. The whole scene is just damned problematic. The upside is that it makes thoughtful men reconsider how they approach these situations. One could argue that this movie should be taught in classes to middle-school boys on how to never act as long as you live if you don't want to be a rapist.
Okay, the way you explain it, it makes more sense. Yikes!

I think that my favourite movie from 80's is definitely Blues Brothers. And many other movies, but it is tough to remind all good movies, which I watched in my life :-)