Movie Poster a Day with JayDee

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
September 27th (Poster #2!!!)

That's right ladies and gentlemen, today is a Double Poster Day!!! Truth be told it was not actually planned. I decided that today was going to be Fury Road day for Vicky so looked through my large library of saved posters and choose the poster on the previous page. After posting however I remembered another Fury Road poster that for some reason wasn't saved in the folder. Turns out I'd accidentally saved it in the wrong location. I could have left it to another day but I thought I'd just post it as a bonus poster, help heal that rift between MV and myself that formed over the film. Plus I had been one poster in the hole after missing out a few days ago

As for this second Fury Road poster, it's quite something isn't it? Once in a while I'll stumble across an animated poster that someone has created but they're not very common. If those are pretty rare however then I think this has got to be a one-of-a-kind - an animated oil painting poster! The two artists actually created several individual paintings and then made the animation out of them. The end result is pretty incredible looking

Mad Max: Fury Road
(2015, d. George Miller / Artists - Ronen V and Zachary Johnson)

September 28th

Talk about your marriages made in heaven, at least as far as MV is concerned. A poster for one of her favourite films in the world, featuring one of her favourite things in the world as part of its design. It's Martin Scorsese's tale of two rats, it's The Departed.

The Departed
(2006, d. Martin Scorsese / Artist - Joel Amat Güell)

September 29th

Yo Vicky! Go put on some make-up girl! Oh and turn on the 8-track! And while you're at it remember to grab your wig off the shelf.

For a larger image of the poster where you can more appreciate all the little details have a look here -

http://cutestreakdesigns.tumblr.com/image/74250248316

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
(2001, d. John Cameron Mitchell / Artist - Cutestreak Designs)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
6 inches forward and 5 inches back.....great movie.

Suspect's Reviews

September 30th

It's the penultimate day of Miss Vicky Week. And usually I try to pick posters that I hope people will really like. I'll agonise over it. But today I just don't really care; I'm over it. If people don't like the poster, so what? It'll just be, like, their opinion man

The Big Lebowski
(1998, d. Joel and Ethan Coen / Artist - Sam Gilbey)

October 1st

Well it's the final day of Miss Vicky Week. And I think you'll all agree that I've certainly left the best to last. Now this is a piece of fine art. The likenesses, the texuring, the depth; it's truly astonishing.

In all seriousness though I have a bit of a fondness for this poster and all of Ghana's movie poster art. I find the crude, naive work to be quite endearing. And it certainly gives them more personality than many a Hollywood studio, floating heads poster.

Just in case you don't agree with me however here is something from the other end of the spectrum. If I remember the film correctly this poster is depicting Maximum picking up the dirt and running it through his hands just before the battle. I find it to be very moody and atmospheric, as well as just being a great bit of illustration

Gladiator
(2000, d. Ridley Scott / Artist - Thomas Kirkeberg)

October 1st (Bonus Poster)

I am so angry with you Vicky! I can't believe you never told us that a biopic has been made about your life. And starring Joan Collins no less! How could you keep such a secret from me?! You're lucky I only just found out about this. Had I learned about it any earlier Miss Vicky Week would have been cancelled!!!

To Miss Vicky, with love

Joan Collins is Miss Vicky in...

The Bitch

(1979, d. Gerry O'Hara)

October 2nd

While I enjoyed Miss Vicky Week it was all a bit mainstream and 'normal'. I think it's about time we returned to trashy and weird! And we begin with this rather lurid delight for an early 80s horror flick. The imagery is fantastic (particularly the mobile consisting of body parts) and I love the tagline at the top of the poster, especially because I can't read it without singing it like a nursery rhyme

Humongous
(1982, d. Paul Lynch)

October 5th

Two days without a poster and nobody even noticed?! Well that's nice! Nice to know I'm appreciated.

Anyway I've had an idea for a new theme - 27 Days of Horror! Twenty-seven posters leading up to Halloween. And to help me choose the films I'm going to use the top 100 horror films list as compiled by this very forum. And yes it would make more sense if I did the whole month of October leading up to Halloween (so 31 Days of Horror) but I only just thouht about it! Now I don't know how exactly it's going to work out however; I've not looked ahead too far and there may not always be a good poster available.

Today however I am able to deliver this astonishing piece of work by Jason Edmiston. If you're looking to convey a sense of sheer, unadulterated terror I don't think you could do much better than this.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(1974, d. Tobe Hooper / Artist - Jason Edmiston)

October 6th

The Top 100 Horror list dictates that today belongs to Ridley Scott's Alien. There are loads and loads of designs out there but as someone who is not overly familiar with the film I was struggling to choose which to go with. Then I saw this one and there was just something about it that caught my attention. It's a clean, simple, minimal design that I think just works terrifically well. I love the texturing of it. And the blood streaks are very cool, alluding to the three 'blood' types that feature in the film - human, alien and android.

Alien
(1979, d. Ridley Scott / Artist - Adam Rabalais)