Latitudes

Tools    

Welcome to Latitudes

This will be my home thread and here's where you'll find me. I'm going to do several different things here including:

Mini Reviews...I watch a movie almost every night. Here I'll only mini reviews for the Best & Worst & Interesting of the films that I watch. If you have any interest in the type of films I watch, keep an eye on this thread. Also I really like to get movie recommendations based on what I might like.

General Discussion Chat...movie related of course but if it goes off topic that's good too.

Trends...I tend to get into different directors or actors and watch a bunch of their movies, sometimes it's by subject or era. So I will be posting about that, along with other stuff too.

So far I've been here over a year and have only gotten to know a few MoFos which is kind of sad...so stop by, pull up a chair and visit for a while.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latitudes.jpg
Views:	2513
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	22607  

So it's basically Citizenrulesland? Are there any Oompa Loompas?

That's the spirit MovieGal, always glad to talk to you AND you've given me some great movie recommendations. I promised I would let some people know what I thought of their films, so now I can do that without writing a long review.
Attachments

Name:	BlacKkKlansman.png
Views:	952
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	77105   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Truth.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	77106   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Green Years.png
Views:	1128
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	77107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thieves Highway.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	95929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch of Evil.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	95930  

Well, I look forward to the thread, Citizen. I think these "home threads" are a good idea and I hope this sparks a trend. I think of my music reviews thread as my "home thread" in a sense - it's a place where I can just talk about what's going on in my music life and stuff. If this is anything like that, it'll be great.

When I was a kid Oompa Loompas scared the hell out of me, come to think of it so did Willy Wonka
When I think of Willy Wonka.. I think the the memes out there... and I hope that would scare any kid!

Thank you Swan I'm such a procrastinator that I have been planning this thread for 6 months! I was inspired by different threads that you guys have made and by GBG GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook. But no way can I watch as many movies as she does.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I don't think I'd ever know how to even begin something like this. A thought about creating something of this sort passed through my mind when I considered creating a review thread (I wanted it to be reviews but with something more added to it - not necessarily just movies), but I just can't figure out a way to begin. So, I admire you for being able to achieve it.

I was inspired by different threads that you guys have made and by GBG GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook. But no way can I watch as many movies as she does.
Well, she just fascinates me with the amount that she watches.

As for Willy Wonka, you want to know what was scary as a kid? This right here:

Not the entire scene. Just where he sings.

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Director: Woody Allen
Writer: Woody Allen
Cast: Mia Farrow, Jeff Daniels, Danny Aiello
Genre: Drama Romance Fantasy
Length: 82 minutes

Synopsis
(spoiler free): During the 1930's Depression era, a New Jersey waitress Cecilia (Mia Farrow) seeks to escape her dismal life by fantasying about the movies. Much to her surprise, a charming movie character Tom Baxter (Jeff Dainels), walks off the silver screen and into the real world. The dashing Baxter finds the real world much different than his life on the silver screen. Cecilia is smitten with him. Meanwhile Hollywood executives are up in arms that one of their movie characters has left the screen.

If you're not a fan of Woody Allen
, this is the film of his you should watch! First off, he's not in it. Secondly it's a very creative movie idea that borders between surreal to existential, while making us think about our own day dreams and how important they can be.

Mia Farrow
is very touching as the neglected housewife who escapes her woes by watching old films. This is one of her best roles and she pours her soul into the performance. She's down trodden, mousey and pitiful. It's a very emotional, bittersweet story thanks to Mia's strong performance.

Jeff Bridges is an underrated actor and he really gets to shine here. He plays duel roles, one role is the silent movie character who walks off the silver screen and into the real world. He's nice, he's naive, he's helpless. That's a character Bridges has done before. But the other role is the real life actor who plays the character. As the actor, Bridges flexes his acting muscle and is self centered, egoistical. He really does a fine job.

It's hard to explain this film, magical is a good word, but it's not fluffy or sappy...it has an edge to it. It's one of a kind.

Attachments

Name:	rose1.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	24013   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	1434
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	24014   Click image for larger version

Name:	704full-the-purple-rose-of-cairo-screenshot.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	24015  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thank you Swan I'm such a procrastinator that I have been planning this thread for 6 months! I was inspired by different threads that you guys have made and by GBG GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook. But no way can I watch as many movies as she does.

My problem is that I like watching movies, but I hate writing, (about movies or anything else). It would be so much easier for me to just give each movie a rating, but then nobody would know why I liked or disliked the movie.

I think that's why I'm so impressed by those of you who write those long reviews. I don't have the ability to put my thoughts into words like that, but I love reading what the rest of you have to say about the movies you watch.

I don't think I'd ever know how to even begin something like this. A thought about creating something of this sort passed through my mind when I considered creating a review thread (I wanted it to be reviews but with something more added to it - not necessarily just movies), but I just can't figure out a way to begin. So, I admire you for being able to achieve it.
If you decide to start your thread, just give it a generic title so you can discuss anything you want in the thread. I'm sure people will respond to anything that interests them.

As for Willy Wonka, you want to know what was scary as a kid? This right here:

Not the entire scene. Just where he sings.
I always thought that boat ride would make such a cool ride at an amusement park. It looks fun and scary at the same time, and his singing just adds to the whole nerve-racking effect.

That's nice of you to say GBG and I will still on occasion write long reviews but not JayDee/Movie Mediation long...I like to write them short cause I'm impatient. I like your thread because in a paragraph I can see if I want to watch the movie or not.

I have like this huge back log of movies I was going to do formal reviews on, but that takes 1-2 hours per review. So most are going to end up here. We have somewhat similar taste so you might spot a few flicks you want to see.

BTW did you know that a lot of singers from the 1950s came out of New Jersey? You probably knew that but I didn't until I watched a movie last night.

Purple Rose of Cairo
(1985) Woody Allen director/writer

Thanks to SilentVamp and also Sean for recommending this film to me. You know a few months ago I basically said Woody Allen sucked. Boy was I wrong! I've watched a bunch of his films and liked a lot of them. This one is fun, but bittersweet. Mia Farrow is very touching as the neglected housewife who escapes her woes by watching old films. I usually don't like films with fantasy elements but this one works if you give it a chance. If you think you don't like Woody Allen films, try this one!

I haven't seen Purple Rose of Cairo yet, but I was basically in the same boat that you were in. A while back, I didn't like Woody Allen either, but a few people recommended his movies, and I've since found a few that I like. I find that I now look forward to seeing his movies rather than dreading watching them. (But I still prefer the movies that he doesn't act in for some reason, but I'm working on appreciating his acting too.)

Hey Vamp! you sneaked in while I was typing (sneaked is not the right tense form, what is?)

That boat ride in Willy Wonka scared me too and a lot of it was his excellent, terse singing, very creepy and Wonka is a bit dangerous isn't he? That's why it's so much more than a kids movie.

That's nice of you to say GBG and I will still on occasion write long reviews but not JayDee/Movie Mediation long...I like to write them short cause I'm impatient. I like your thread because in a paragraph I can see if I want to watch the movie or not.

I have like this huge back log of movies I was going to do formal reviews on, but that takes 1-2 hours per review. So most are going to end up here. We have somewhat similar taste so you might spot a few flicks you want to see.
I usually wait to read the very long reviews if I haven't seen the movie yet because I can't imagine that those long reviews don't have spoilers, but I try to remember to go back to read them after I see the movies.

I get backlogged on writing my short reviews, so I can easily imagine how hard it must be to keep up with your long reviews. But I always look forward to your reviews because I've gotten a lot of great recommendations from your reviews.

BTW did you know that a lot of singers from the 1950s came out of New Jersey? You probably knew that but I didn't until I watched a movie last night.
I don't know a lot of the backgrounds of singers from New Jersey, but I know some of the New Yorkers. Capt. Steel probably knows some the New Jersey singers.

I haven't seen Purple Rose of Cairo yet, but I was basically in the same boat that you were in. A while back, I didn't like Woody Allen either, but a few people recommended his movies, and I've since found a few that I like.
I'm still eating crow, but glad to admit I was hasty in not liking his films, but I don't like them all. This will sound bad but it's a compliment...Mia Farrow plays her part like a female Woody Allen, only she is very likable and a bit sad. She does the Woody mumbling her dialogue bit which makes her seem insecure and nervous, which for her works. I really like to know if that was her idea? Woody's? or just the way the role turned out.

I think one Woody Allen movie that I should rewatch is Sleeper. It's one of Hubby's favorite movies, but I never really cared much for it. I think Woody Allen's character just annoyed me a bit too much to enjoy the movie, but maybe now I can give it a second chance.