Jinn's 100 Films of the 2010s

Tools    

My love for The Witch aside, you chose the correct Eggers film for the list.
I like The Witch. But it wasn't going to squeeze in here.

I prefered Hagazussa and Poland's Demon and I couldn't even squeeze them in here.

This x 1,000,000.

My wife and I went to see this with another couple, who are sort of your super sweet normie types, who casually watch films but never return for a re-watch to ponder the meanings behind them. Going in, the only thing any of us knew was that the film concerned aliens. As the film unspooled in its measured way, I could tell the other couple was growing restless. When were the giant ships going to unleash death rays on the White House? When was Will Smith going to show up? When does the battle start? By the time the film reached the twist, these people were ready to go. The wife had purse in hand and husband had his snack trash ready for the receptacle.

Meanwhile, my wife and I were both in tears, having been completely disarmed by the absolutely brilliant way Arrival uses Hitchcockian audience manipulation to deftly nudge the viewer into creating a chronological order of events in our mind, only to have the rug pulled out from under them us the end of the film as we realize what has actually happened. This was deeply affecting to both of us, and my wife quietly asked that we remain in our seats until she could collect herself before venturing back out into the lobby. The other couple was gobsmacked, and immediately jumped to the conclusion that my wife was upset about something completely unrelated to the film. In their haste to get through the movie and leave, they had somehow missed the twist entirely, not understanding the significance of the final scenes. When we got back to the car and asked if they liked it, they just said "It wasn't what I/we expected," and didn't have much else to say about it, even after my attempts to explain the ending. "Well, I would never sit through that again. Nothing happens in that movie."

Each to his or her own, of course. My wife and I have seen it multiple times now, and the impact of those final moments is still as potent as ever.
One guy who was sitting behind me in the theater must've fallen asleep during it, because I heard him start snoring about halfway through it...

: /

The trick is not minding
One guy who was sitting behind me in the theater must've fallen asleep during it, because I heard him start snoring about halfway through it...

: /
That reminds me of when I went to see Sweeney Todd in theatres, and a group of teenage boys arrived. About 20 minutes in They audibly complained about it being a musical and promptly left.

A system of cells interlinked
That reminds me of when I went to see Sweeney Todd in theatres, and a group of teenage boys arrived. About 20 minutes in They audibly complained about it being a musical and promptly left.
After which, there was much rejoicing by the other theater patrons... One less group of noisy teens is always a boon.

The trick is not minding
Sorry for the bump but....

I finally had time to go through each film nominated, including the HM, and reading up a quick excerpt on them. Nothing spoilers-ish. Counting them up I have seen only 28, not including the HM, but that doesn’t surprise me considering I focus mainly on pre 2000 the last few years.
I should remedy that.
A few observations, and with them a few innocent questions. I noticed there were no documentaries and only one animated film there. Is that preference to your tastes?
Also, thanks for introducing me to Wheatley. He currently has a film playing at the theatre near me, In the Earth that I aim to check out. I might as well dig into the rest of his filmography.

Once again, interesting game and intriguing list.

A few observations, and with them a few innocent questions. I noticed there were no documentaries and only one animated film there. Is that preference to your tastes?
I deliberately avoided documentaries from the list because I feel that I have an entirely different approach to evaluating/appreciating them than I have for fictional storytelling. I could possibly do a pure doc list from the decade, but that will require quite a bit of time to review all of the releases, as well as comparable TV work that could qualify.

I didn't deliberately avoid animated films, but I guess I didn't have very many in the running. Some of the best I remember would have been Princess Kaguya, Song of the Sea, Persepolis, Kubo & the Two Strings.

The trick is not minding
I deliberately avoided documentaries from the list because I feel that I have an entirely different approach to evaluating/appreciating them than I have for fictional storytelling. I could possibly do a pure doc list from the decade, but that will require quite a bit of time to review all of the releases, as well as comparable TV work that could qualify.

I didn't deliberately avoid animated films, but I guess I didn't have very many in the running. Some of the best I remember would have been Princess Kaguya, Song of the Sea, Persepolis, Kubo & the Two Strings.
That’s cool. Either way, it was a interesting list as is and I’ve added a few films you listed earlier (Hagazussa, Demon) to my watchlist.
Thanks for answering. as i mentioned earlier, I found it fascinating.

Spider-Verse?