"Halloween II" (1981) vs "Halloween" (2018) - What AreYou're Thoughts?

Tools    

I’ve been a fan of the original 1978 “Halloween” since I was a child. The same can be said for it’s 1981 sequel, “Halloween II”. When I found out they were making a new “Halloween” film that was supposed to be a direct sequel to the original film I was skeptical because even though I don’t care much for any of the sequels that came out in the late 80’s and mid 90’s, I do have a burning love for “Halloween II”. I thought to myself that if this new film was really good than I could possibly view it as a split reality from the 1981 sequel, or as some kind of “alternate universe”, or alternate take on the story or something. I was open to the idea of balancing two direct sequels to what I consider to be the greatest horror film of all-time. And then I saw the 2018 sequel and all of that thinking went down the drain.

“Halloween II” is still the true follow up to the 1978 “Halloween” and there is nothing anyone can say that could sway my thinking here. The new movie is just….off. You’ve got to remember that Laurie Strode was really only face to face with Michael Myers for all of 5 minutes of the original film, maybe 15 minutes of we’re talking about from when she discovered there was a problem and when the movie ended. And while the events that transpired in “Halloween” are tragic, I don’t believe they’re tragic enough to drive her to build a survivalist fun-house, ruin 2 marriages, and cause her daughter to shield her from her granddaughter because of her erratic behavior. I’ve always viewed Laurie Strode as a vulnerable character who would rather run than face adversity so I have a hard time believing that she would’ve hung around Haddonfield after the events that transpired in 1978. I don’t know, it just felt as if nothing truly clicked in this film.

The original “Halloween II” takes place on the same night as the original film and features all of the same characters and locations. Everything felt perfectly in place and the situations that were written into the film seem like something that would’ve been a natural continuation with very little of it coming off as far fetched. After the showdown between Laurie and Michael, Laurie is taken to the hospital and after Michael hears radio news coverage explaining that the survivor was taken to the hospital he discovers where Laurie is and follows her there. It’s perfect. In the 2018 sequel Michael is apprehended after his altercation with Laurie (they never truly explain how) and breaks out of his nut-house while being transferred to a different facility. He arrives back in Haddonfield and begins mindlessly killing people before eventually bumping into Laurie and her family where the crux of the plot hits the fan. Everything in “Halloween II” felt natural, but in the new film it came off as forced and unbelievable.

It isn’t like “Halloween” (2018) is a bad film or anything, it just isn’t the direct sequel to the original that I wanted. It has its moments here and there though, and there are times when Michael comes off as truly frightening, but as a whole this was not the kind of film that could make me forget “Halloween II” exists or no longer think of it as the one true sequel to the original. I was hoping it would at least complement “Halloween II” in some way where I could go to either depending what kind of a film I was looking for, but it didn’t and in my opinion is about as good as “Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers”. Which, if you’re wondering, I don’t consider to be in the “Halloween” canon despite somewhat enjoying the film. One thing that kind of bothered me in this new movie is that they recreated some of the scenes from previous sequels. What the hell is the point on making a retcon film if you’re just going to reuse a ton of ideas from the movies you’re supposed to be retconning? It boggles my mind.

I’m curious to know if you guys enjoyed the film or thought it missed the mark? I’ll continue to watch “Halloween II” right after the original “Halloween” and consider those two films to be the definitive Michael Myers/Laurie Strode story most likely until the day I die. Those two films just compliment each other so well and I don’t see any reason to allow anything else to get in the way and obstruct that. I’m sure years down the line we will see another reboot, or a sequel to this new 2018 film, or maybe even another direct sequel to the original, but in the end none of it is needed because the story has already been told and there is no way they’ll be able to sway this critic from thinking otherwise.

Official Member: National Association of Film Critics 🎞️

IMDb Sponsored & Affiliated Film Critic.
🎥

A system of cells interlinked
Didn't the 2018 recognize both Halloween and Halloween II, allegedly sliding in as the third film in a trilogy? I thought that was mentioned around release time...

Saw the 2018 last night.
I'm not a horror movies fan, I'm easily fooled.
I thought the 2018 didn't had the same patterns as the original.
The action was different (faster), the killings were different, even Michael had a different approach.
But was suppose to be the same? I don't know. 2018 had many things that didn't made sense:
Transferring a dangerous serial killer in the same security measures and low level offenders.
The reporters getting the mask was almost impossible, was a crime evidence, I mean come on, work on that.
This vengeance thing also didn't made sense in my opinion, but okay, I can understand script wise.
The script was laughable man! Was entertaining, the Michael face, now older, and see if he actually speaks.

Didn't the 2018 recognize both Halloween and Halloween II, allegedly sliding in as the third film in a trilogy? I thought that was mentioned around release time...
No, "Halloween" (2018) is a direct sequel to the original 1978 classic. It ignored every movie in the franchise after the first one.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Rob Zombies Halloween 2 was the best sequel. Absolutely love that movie.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

A system of cells interlinked
Transferring a dangerous serial killer in the same security measures and low level offenders.
Agreed. I called this out as I watched, as well. Like they wouldn't have at least one other vehicle following the transport in case something went wrong?

Welcome to the human race...
In fairness...

WARNING: "Halloween 2018" spoilers below
...the lax security is justified within the narrative because Dr. Sartain is so maniacally obsessed with figuring Michael out that he deliberately rigs such an easily-escapable situation in order to "study" Michael outside of captivity.

Now I kind of wonder if the podcasters do have the exact same mask or if they acquired an exact copy of the same mask (which may have been discontinued and turned into a collectable following their connection to Michael).

I agree with what others are saying about the way the authorities handled Michael in this film, you'd figure he'd be taken a little more seriously considering his background and the fact that maximum security is more serious than minimum security. The movie just didn't click for me, and now I'm hearing that they're going to make another film in the franchise to follow this one up. I can't wait to see how they try to explain Michael surviving Laurie's house of horrors, lol. Chances are they don't even try, much like how they didn't really explain how they apprehend Michael after his altercation with Laurie and Dr. Loomis.

i didn t like the 2018 one, however loved halloween 2