Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

[quote=Stirchley;2127749]Agree. Horrible movie.

Maybe it’s “ugh” to you, but she’s still beautiful.

Agreed 100%. Very beautiful looking lady.

Re. the GF in "Ending Things" Stirchley I can see that angle, I did think of that. It's a bit vague though.

Re. the GF in "Ending Things" Stirchley I can see that angle, I did think of that. It's a bit vague though.
Agree. Strange movie. The two leads made the movie for me. Didn’t realize until later they are both ‘Jessie’.

Saw a bunch of Hammer films over the weekend:

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960, Terence Fisher)

Taste of Fear (1961, Seth Holt)

X: The Unknown (1956, Leslie Norman, Joseph Losey)

The Abominable Snowman (1957, Val Guest)

Singin' in the Rain. (1952)

Great production design, brilliant song and dance numbers including the iconic title song and terrific performances from a talented cast. I'm not a fan of musicals but I was very impressed by this film. It has so much energy, joy and colour, it's impossible not to get swept up in the story.

An absolute classic and a pleasure to watch.

5/5 Stars.

I liked this one a fair chunk more than you, mostly on the strength of the performances and the imagery.

I felt that it had a push-pull between pessimism and optimism that, rather than creating a pleasant tension, weakened the overall impact of the film.

Annihilation - 7.5/10

Good sci fi film, quite a unique idea and open ending. Not the best sci fi ever but definitely not the worst either.
I really dug Annihilation. I thought that it did pretty cool things with its narrative structure and overall character arc. The YouTube channel "Folding Ideas" did a video about it that really deepened my appreciation of it.

Dragonwyck (1946)
@MovieGal had highlighted this film in the "What are you watching tonight" thread. I was intrigued, so we fired it up last night. Memory fails if I've ever seen this before.

Despite having a heavyweight production team: Darryl Zanuck, Joseph Mankiewicz, score by Alfred Newman; and a heavyweight cast of Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, Walter Huston, and a smaller part for Jessica Tandy, the film did not rise up to its load of talent.

The movie seemed like it wanted to be another Rebecca, of which there were a dozen or so in the 1940s: innocent young woman is introduced into a mansion with an overbearing master and/or housekeeper; the two get involved, and X happens.

If you like melodrama, this is a prime example. The picture is really all Vincent Price's. Price of course had been a stage and screen star long before he became known almost exclusively for horror movies during the 1960s. He had a chance to exhibit many different emotions, and he was first rate.

Gene Tierney OTOH seemed to rather walk through the part. She did a journeyman's job, but nothing memorable. Tierney was such a strange beauty, with her luminescent eyes, that she perfectly fit the dream-like quality of the story.

There were enjoyable parts from the veteran Walter Huston, Spring Byington; and a very tasty performance by the inestimable Jessica Tandy.

The film got more interesting as it went on, but was a little uneven. Still, it's worth it to see Price's work.

Doc's rating: 6/10

I really dug Annihilation. I thought that it did pretty cool things with its narrative structure and overall character arc. The YouTube channel "Folding Ideas" did a video about it that really deepened my appreciation of it.

Yes, Annihilation remains one of my favorite sci fi films, and the book was excellent as well. The video you mentioned seemed to try to connect some dots that weren't really intended in my eyes, but it did contain some interesting tidbits.

Unregistered User
I liked this one a fair chunk more than you, mostly on the strength of the performances and the imagery.

I felt that it had a push-pull between pessimism and optimism that, rather than creating a pleasant tension, weakened the overall impact of the film.

I wish I did like it more Takoma. I'm a fan of Claire Denis and Binoche with Pattinson really starting to grow on me. On a side note, I do agree with you on Annihilation. One of my favourites in recent times.

Sweet Charity (Bob Fosse, 1969)
+
I do love a 'tart with a heart' tale, me

Naked Lunch (1991)

Saw this in the cinema when it came out and remember a good few walking out. What exactly did they expect? Funny, witty and graphic story named after William Burroughs' book but really patched together from his books and life. Peter Weller is great as the non-plussed, other-worldly (great choice of actor) Bill Lee. Spiralling further and further into his own delusionary existence where reality only punctures the bubble momentarily.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Women Who Loved Cinema (Parts 1 and 2)
Very cool documentary about Egyptian women in cinema from the 1920s up until the 1950s. Producers, actresses, writers, directors. It was just on TCM, so it might still be available on TCM

I wish I did like it more Takoma. I'm a fan of Claire Denis and Binoche with Pattinson really starting to grow on me.
Movies that I like and other people don't fall into two categories:

"Okay, yeah, I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea"

OR

"DO YOU EVEN HAVE EYES?!?!?! HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE IT?!?!?!?!"

High Life falls in the former category, so I can't get too up in arms about it. It also checked two particular boxes for me "dramas . . . in space!!" and "limited cast, confined setting".

Ghost World (2001).

A great little film about two lost souls, Enid (Thoracic Birch) a cynical high school graduate struggling to find her place in the world and Seymour (Steve Buscemi) a nerdy middle aged man stuck in a comfortable but dull life. Brought together by a cruel prank, an unlikely friendship develops that parallels a breakdown in Enid's relationship with her best friend Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson). A quirky, funny and touching film with strong performances. Very enjoyable.

4/5 Stars.

Naked Lunch (1991)

Saw this in the cinema when it came out and remember a good few walking out. What exactly did they expect? Funny, witty and graphic story named after William Burroughs' book but really patched together from his books and life. Peter Weller is great as the non-plussed, other-worldly (great choice of actor) Bill Lee. Spiralling further and further into his own delusionary existence where reality only punctures the bubble momentarily.

Burroughs was a fascinating guy who, unbelievably, despite his heavy drug use, lived to aged 83. Among his many talents was as a creditable actor. I really enjoyed 1983's Drugstore Cowboy, with Matt Dillon.