The Shawshank Redemption -- Story Vs. Film

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm not sure how many discussions have taken place on here, comparing story to movie, but I just read Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption out of Different Seasons, by Stephen King, along with watching The Shawshank Redemption, right after, and wanted to get some thoughts of others who may have done this (not back-to-back, of course).

Story

Without going into the minor details of the story, we all know (or at least should know) of Andy Dufresne and Red, and how Andy eventually escapes from the confines of Shawshank.

If you were to tell me (before reading the story) that it was written by Stephen King, I would have thought it were about a prison of spirits, or some Indian burial ground under the prison. Not what I would expect from Stephen King, at all.

You're drawn to the characters, either it's Red's descriptiveness of their surroundings, or the overwhelming message that hope can overcome anything.

I think it's safe to say, that I liked the story right away.

Film

Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption, and he did a tremendous job of translating the story to the screen. Reading the story, I was just in awe of how true to the story he had actually remained.

Of course, liberties were taken with characters, but it's understandable that this was needed in order to keep the film on a steady pace.

Certain aspects, I believe, should have been left out of the movie so that other elements could have been shown. However, Darabont managed to, in a way, tip the hat to those aspects by referencing them as things that had already happened (ie., Tommy Williams serving time at Cashman). There weren't too many of these, mind you, because the film was almost a literal translation of the story.

Overall, I like both equally, simply because the story has things the film doesn't, and vice-versa.

What are your thoughts?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I read King's Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption earlier this year for purposes of comparison, as well, and posted my thoughts in the Reading Tab, reproduced here:

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
by Stephen King

Normally when I read a movie's source material, I expect (and find) that it expands on the story and offers more depth and nuance than whatever I'd seen on screen. This expectation is precisely why I decided to read this story. Strangely, the reality here is completely flipped; it's the film that feels more fleshed out, and the book that feels more abridged.

From this vantage point, I have a whole new level of appreciation for The Shawshank Redemption. The adaptation is absolutely stunning now that I see its source. It consolidates characters in an extremely sensible way, shifts dialogue here and there, plays some events up (and others down), and reorders some of the events. The film flows perfectly, even though the story its based on is a bit more uneven. Every change makes complete sense to me. So-so book, but boy, does it enhance my appreciation of the film.

I might be in the minority, but I think the screenplay might be a better piece of writing than the book (leaving aside the issue of originating the story, of course).

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I might be in the minority, but I think the screenplay might be a better piece of writing than the book (leaving aside the issue of originating the story, of course).
Definitely not alone on that. I like how Darabont took some of the smaller events and turned them into something more grandiose. For instance, in the story, Warden Norton simply quits after Andy escapes. On screen, he takes it a step farther.

I think my only gripe between the story and the film is his alias. Why change Peter to Randall? It doesn't throw the film off any, it's just one of those things I wondered about.

The DM
I read the story I think several months before I saw the movie and I have to say it is probably one of the best story to movie adaptions out there. The dialogue is spot on with the novel and I dont remember much left out from the movie that was not in the story.

Leicamaster

i will watch it now to see why it is top rated on IMDb...it looks boring to me,and i don t like that type of films,but i will give a chance

i will watch it now to see why it is top rated on IMDb...it looks boring to me,and i don t like that type of films,but i will give a chance
Do this and do it quick...for you will not regret a second of it!!!

I never understand "it looks boring." The quality of a film is so rarely reflected in a trailer. If something looks boring it's probably a product of the fact that trailers have become formulaic assaults on our senses. The things that make for an exciting trailer do not always make for a captivating film. And that's what The Shawshank Redemption is -- a truly captivating film that feels about half as long as it is.

i will watch it for 5 minutes...i said it look boring,but it can easily be one of my favorite movies of all time

A system of cells interlinked
I'd skip it... *cough*

Not a big fan of this flick, myself...

i did not saying i will watch 5 minutes of film...i will watch full 2 and a half hours,i thought to watch it 5 minutes after my post...

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I think she's saying that you shouldn't judge a movie after watching it for five minutes. That's what I took your post to mean, as well.
i can't believe someone would have to tell somebody that. maybe that isn't what he meant, but sure looks like it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
How dare you!

One of my favorite films of all time. I haven't read the story but I'm not sure it would pale in comparison because of how much I've built up the film.