Vanilla Sky

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I still haven't seen this film. I'm not sure I can quite see the point of a remake which doesn't really add anything to the original film. From what I've heard it's pretty much a straight remake. It even has one of the same actresses. Just in a different language. Surely if that is all you want you just watch Open Your Eyes with American dubbing? Perhaps I'm being harsh and should give it a chance, after all, I did enjoy The Departed (although that added things to Infernal Affairs to make it a slightly more well rounded film).

I found Vanilla Sky to be very engaging.

But that might have something to do with the fact that as I was 3/4 through the movie, the cinema projector died, and I was unable to see the remainder of the movie for quite some time. The suspense was pretty intense.

I'm not sure if I would have been as intrigues if I had seen it straight through; nonetheless, I liked it.

Horrible film, one of the worst i've seen. Sat an exam and wrote about it, slating it as a remake and general film. Absolute pap.

Horrible film, one of the worst i've seen. Sat an exam and wrote about it, slating it as a remake and general film. Absolute pap.
What didn't you like about it?

See the trailer here:

What didn't you like about it?
It's blatant and shameless direct copying of Open Your Eyes and worsening. The whole exposition at the end, the Hollywood-ising of Cruise's character for some examples.

It's blatant and shameless direct copying of Open Your Eyes and worsening. The whole exposition at the end, the Hollywood-ising of Cruise's character for some examples.
Fair enough. I haven't seen Open Your Eyes yet, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. I did like the fact that Cruise's character was a rich playboy though - I thought it offered an interesting twist to an otherwise familiar protagonist. The end was a bit off for me too, I must admit, but it was still a great film experience overall.

A system of cells interlinked
I like Vanilla Sky a whole lot, some parts of it are better than the original, IMO. I liked the original a whole lot too, though...

Fair enough. I haven't seen Open Your Eyes yet, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. I did like the fact that Cruise's character was a rich playboy though - I thought it offered an interesting twist to an otherwise familiar protagonist. The end was a bit off for me too, I must admit, but it was still a great film experience overall.
They made him a far less selfish character, the surgery was for pain, not for his vanity and Cruise wasn't even as deformed. They add the role of the Father to try and explain his characters flaws thus make him sympathetic; Cruise's star ego seemingly won't let him play an unlikeable character that might damage his image, which of course is meant to be one of the major themes of the film. The twist was hinted at through out the film, and instead of seemlessly interweaving the science fiction and romance for a twist, they handle the two badly alluding to both throughout and making neither amount to anything; one of the things i really liked in the original was the psychiatrist role and how we shift into empathising with him as he embodies the role of the audience, but Russell was a unlikeable and distanced character. Things like that ruined it.

It's a massive case of Hollywood stealing a film and recycling it without credit or real respect for the original and adding a Hollywood gloss that removes any ambiguity, from character or plot. All they add are American pop culture references. And IOpen Your Eyes didn't even need a remake, it's not got many cultural or national links to Spain and it's even shot in a very Hollywood style. They include Cruz in exactly the same role- further showing the idiocy and many acts of copying verbatim in the remake, and she doesn't even get a boobies out.

One of the films i really hate.

Sedai, what's better then?

I haven't watched it, mainly because I expected that I would hate it for the exact reasons you mention Pyro Tramp.

Abre Los Ojos very much impressed me, when i watched it i had no idea it was what Vanilla Sky was based on which was a film several people had been telling me was "amazing" and "brilliant".

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
I'm watching this right now and wanted to chat about it. I've seen both this and Abre Los Ojos and was actually surprised to find that I like Vanilla Sky better. I thought Sofia was much more lovable and Cameron Diaz's Julie was a more frighteningly relatable psycho. Im always astounded by how well developed every character in Cameron Crowe's movies are, no matter how little screen time they have. He's a master of creating those "little moments," that give all of his films a wonderfully rich and personal feel. Plus the soundtrack! One of my all time favorites. And I love Jason Lee. And Kurt Russell. For shame pyro, I didnt think it was possible to think him "unlikeable"! And I thought Tom Cruise definitely had some unlikable moments- the club? I didn't get the feeling that he was trying to protect his image. And I like the death scenes much better in Vanilla Sky. And the love scene. And I love Crowe's inclusion of all the pop culture and how embedded into our subconscious it is. I'll stop now but yea...Love this movie

I like Open Your Eyes a lot more, for pretty well the same reasons Pyro posted a couple years ago. Haven't seen either for a long time though.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I thought it was good, I realy liked the ending.

This was a very, very, good movie. I saw it 3 times and picked up something different each time I saw it.

It is a copy of open your eyes but it is very engaging and very well directed, i like the dialog especially when tom is being treated by his psychiatrist, really enjoy this kind of surrealist film but nothing comes close to videodrome anyway

Vanilla Sky stars Tom Cruise.
I still haven't watched this movie though.
Is this the greatest review of all time???

Is this thread 18 years old!?
Yes last post was back in 2001 lol