Sedai, Pyro Tramp and all the others who doubted Christopher Nolan

Tools    

Yes, it's me The Prestige. I told you people before but you wouldn't listen. Clearly Memento (which is still his signature film) wasn't enough to convince you 'film lovers' that Christopher Nolan is a force to be reckoned with. So what did he do? He stepped up and made his biggest challenge to date: A epic crime action drama (say superhero flick seems cheap) that was not only his first sequel, but possibly the biggest film anybody could have made this decade.

Nolan didn't disappoint with The Dark Knight. I'm not even going to bother saying what I think about the film as the work speaks for itself. It's not 5 stars like Memento. I still think a 5 star film should be a rarity. But, it's about 4 stars. Maybe 4 and a half.

Nolan's auteur signatures are in this film, too. The man can't do no wrong. He just TELLS the story too, and only gets all flash with the cameras when it's necessary. The man has considerable restraint, and I think Paul Thomas Anderson must've checkout out some Nolan films before starting work on There Will Be Blood.

Sedai, i've been reading your thoughts on The Dark Knight and you're a hyprocrite, mate. Saying how you think Christopher Nolan is all that and a bag of chips - you were dissing him last year. Or did you feel you had to attack my favourite director just to get to me? And Pyro Tramp, you're a lovely lad and a fellow Brit like me, but there were times where you weren't too great on Nolan and felt I was overrating him.

It's about time you lot ate your cornflakes and i'm glad the rest that tried to say Nolan wasn't 'that good' are now kissing his arse left right and centre. Talk about exposing yourselves as lemmings...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
No.

Ok, i'm gonna take back what I said there after reading your posts on 'The Dark Knight - awards winner' thread. I'm glad you retract some of your posts back, Sedai. I rate you for that and respect that you're man enough to admit that Nolan is THAT damn good.

I remember linepalsy was the only one to originally rate Nolan for his filmmaking skills, though.

I've been with Nolan since Memento back in 2001, so you will have to all forgive me for coming across as very vocal when it comes to his films. If he makes a weak film, i'd acknowledge it no matter how hard that would be...but he has yet to make them. Yes, some of his films have had flaws, but i'm telling you right now, there is no filmmaker right now who are as reliable as him. He takes an idea, and twists it up Nolan style. The man is a genius and i've always backed him

Christopher Nolan is the reason i'm proud to be English AND from his place of birth...London. We were even born in the same hospital ffs. Christopher Nolan is also the reason I studied film studies and creative writing at university.

Give this man an oscar. Hell, the should redo the 2000 Oscars and give every damn award to Memento.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
So, why did you change your name? I remember you, you were posting here right about the same time I signed up here last July.
Was banned for giving a negative rep spree in the Favorite Director thread I belive.

Prestige was banned for one reason or another, i enjoyed his posts except he had a considerable and frustrating obsession for Nolan.

Now back to you Prestige, i don't remember hating on him just being a bit dubious of all your praise. Yes, he has pulled it out the bag with TDK by almost anyones standards. I personally need to rewatch the film before smothering it and Nolan with praise and undying love. That said, there were some bits were the direction was still slightly muddled FROM WHAT I REMEMBER.

I think most of my criticisms were on the films themselves, not Nolan in particular. The Prestige didn't, and still doesn't, sit well with me; the sci-fi subplot thrown in is still dumb by my standards. None of his films stood out to my as 'stunning'.

Was banned for giving a negative rep spree in the Favorite Director thread I belive.
No, I asked to be banned anyways because I told Yoda I wasn't coming back. I admit i was a tad bit immature then, but i'm a changed guy now. Still, gotta gloat about our very own Christopher Nolan kicking arse left right and centre.

Prestige was banned for one reason or another, i enjoyed his posts except he had a considerable and frustrating obsession for Nolan.

Now back to you Prestige, i don't remember hating on him just being a bit dubious of all your praise. Yes, he has pulled it out the bag with TDK by almost anyones standards. I personally need to rewatch the film before smothering it and Nolan with praise and undying love. That said, there were some bits were the direction was still slightly muddled FROM WHAT I REMEMBER.
You're right mate, every director has even a small flaw. And Nolan's seems to be directing hand to hand combat. That said, it was a better improvement from Batman Begins, and his overall slick and sublime direction in The Dark Knight more than compensates for the minor rough editing of the fight sequences.

Yes i'll agree with you there, his formal style has improved but i did find a few discrepancies in some bits- i'm sure you read my thoughts in the review thread in your time lurking before gloating

So... why not just have Yoda re-activate your account? I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with that.
I just asked him to in PM.

Anybody else just a little annoyed with the amount of attention this film is getting on these boards? There's not a day that goes by without a new thread about it's apparent awesomeness. I can't wait to hate it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by ThePrestigeIsAHorriblyFlawedFilm
I've been with Nolan since Memento back in 2001, so you will have to all forgive me for coming across as very vocal when it comes to his films...
Yeah, well, like, i did a 10-line review of Following at some point. Where's my cookie?

Originally Posted by ItCouldHaveBeenSoMuchBetterButItWasn'tOhWellThereYouGo
...He takes an idea, and twists it up Nolan style. The man is a genius and i've always backed him.
I've heard he takes it Nolan Sisters style. It's awe-inspiring.

Yeah, well, like, i did a 10-line review of Following at some point. Where's my cookie?

I've heard he takes it Nolan Sisters style. It's awe-inspiring.
The Prestige definitely lived up to it's title. It's got a few flaws, but not enough to give it any less than 4 stars out of 5. It's a charming yet dark small film that feels a lot bigger than it's budget suggests. And that's because of one Christopher Nolan.

Speaking of which, I LOVED Heath Ledger as The Joker. I'm with Pyro, I was never a fan of his before I watched Brokeback Mountain, and even then I wasn't too fussed about him, though his performance was clearly great in that.

But his Joker was very masterful. That was some Daniel Day-Lewis level **** he did for that role. However, one can't forget the way in which The Joker was written and directed...

Lets put a smile on that block
It's about time you lot ate your cornflakes
I'm more of a sugar puffs kind a guy.
Christopher Nolan is the reason i'm proud to be English AND from his place of birth...London. We were even born in the same hospital ffs.
My god. I was born in the same hospital as Cilla Black. This would explain my desire to walk around in coktail dresses screaming "SURRPRISE SURRPRISE" in peoples faces...
No, I asked to be banned anyways because I told Yoda I wasn't coming back.
Yeah being banned is fun

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Fair play Nolan is a great director and his films are great to watch, The Dark Knight is brilliant top notch film making!

No, I asked to be banned anyways because I told Yoda I wasn't coming back.
You did indeed ask to be banned, but that was NOT why you were banned. Users don't get to decide if and when they are banned. You were banned for a variety of reasons, and yes, the negative rep spree mentioned earlier was one of them.

I just asked him to in PM.
I haven't received any PM from you...

The moderators and I are discussing this situation and will make a decision on this new account of yours. Technically speaking, banned members are not allowed to return under different usernames. As you can see, a handful of members have been given an exception to this rule, so we'll talk about this and come to a decision.

I have to say, however, that returning largely to gloat (and exaggerating other people's stances on Nolan to do so, by the way) isn't exactly a point in your favor.

Anybody else just a little annoyed with the amount of attention this film is getting on these boards? There's not a day that goes by without a new thread about it's apparent awesomeness.
It's a record-breaking, impeccably-filmed superhero-themed blockbuster getting rave reviews from critics and fans alike. A half-dozen threads on it various aspects (we've been deleting the duplicates) seems reasonable to me.

I can't wait to hate it.
If you do, we'll all know this is why, then.

Why is Nolan your favorite director ? What did you think about Insomnia and Following ?

You compare him to Paul Thomas Anderson (my favorite director) , what are the similarities between There Will Be Blood and Memento/Batman Begins ?