All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Interesting. This film has been made and remade an amazing number of times. It's hard to see how the original could be improved on though.

Can you imagine writing something that inspired so many films, was translated in so many languages and revered like this?

Wow.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Who needs any other adaptation after the 1930 film?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's a brilliant film. One could still say that the 1930 version renders it redundant, though.

Still, it's one of the most pleasant surprises of the last few years. The 2022 adaptation is a powerful, shocking anti-war film. It's perhaps even bleaker than the 1930 version in how it doesn't end on a poetic note. Death is not seen symbolically but verbatim.

Watched this few days ago. At times goes meandering on, but overall it's a brilliant movie. A brilliant antiwar movie.
And it's beautifully shot, with a lovely background score.
I agree. Powerful movie.

All Quiet just cleaned up at the BAFTA's, winning 7 awards incl.
  • Best Film
  • Best Non-English Language Film
  • Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Best Director
  • Best Original Score
  • Best Sound
  • Best Cinematography
Although I can't really comment about the cinematography, the others I can all understand with the exception of Adapted Screenplay. It really does deviate so much from the source material that it actually loses some of the impact.

Not that deviating from the source material is necessarily a bad thing, but the previous adaptations have been far more faithful and, imo so far as the writing goes, this version is the poorer in comparison for how much it has been needlessly altered.

All Quiet just cleaned up at the BAFTA's, winning 7 awards incl.
  • Best Film
  • Best Non-English Language Film
  • Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Best Director
  • Best Original Score
  • Best Sound
  • Best Cinematography
Although I can't really comment about the cinematography, the others I can all understand with the exception of Adapted Screenplay. It really does deviate so much from the source material that it actually loses some of the impact.

Not that deviating from the source material is necessarily a bad thing, but the previous adaptations have been far more faithful and, imo so far as the writing goes, this version is the poorer in comparison for how much it has been needlessly altered.
What “source material” are you talking about?

What “source material” are you talking about?

The novel. It's not exactly obscure, lol.

With Dunkirk and 1917, it looks like we might be seeing a slight war film resurgence. All Quiet on the Western Front is definitely my favorite of the three of them though. Though some of the powerful scenes in this film are present in the 1930 film as well, it adds enough new cards to the deck for it to remain fresh and stand very well as a remake.

With Dunkirk and 1917, it looks like we might be seeing a slight war film resurgence. All Quiet on the Western Front is definitely my favorite of the three of them though. Though some of the powerful scenes in this film are present in the 1930 film as well, it adds enough new cards to the deck for it to remain fresh and stand very well as a remake.
So much better than Dunkirk & 1917. I loved it.

So much better than Dunkirk & 1917. I loved it.
Eh, I liked it a lot, but I wouldn't say it was much better than those other two...