Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

I mentioned the movie Pearl Harbor (2001) the other day and someone mentioned it today on another thread.
I went back to look at the cast list and was surprised to learn that FDR was played by Jon Voight! (I never knew that was him).
So I have to give them credit for make-up as Voight was unrecognizable (if not for the plethera of historical inaccuracies within the film).

Regarding U.S. state flags that imitate foreign countries, the Alabama and Florida State Flags both use the St. Andrew's Cross (the Saltire), which is also the flag of Scotland.

Scotland's is white on blue background, whereas both AL's and FL's are both red on a white background.

Regarding U.S. state flags that imitate foreign countries, the Alabama and Florida State Flags both use the St. Andrew's Cross (the Saltire), which is also the flag of Scotland.

Scotland's is white on blue background, whereas both AL's and FL's are both red on a white background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick%27s_Saltire

I'd guess DC or Hawaii?
Holden is correct. It’s Hawaii. I never knew this.

Here’s two more flag trivia: Which is the only flag in the world that does not have 4 angles?

Which are the only two flags in the world that are perfectly square?

Holden is correct. It’s Hawaii. I never knew this.

I want to see this emblazoned on top of the General Kamehameha.

Redo Dukes of Hazzard and set it in Oahu where they surf and bootleg pineapples. Every episode they drive around in circles on the island and then get stuck at the shore... ...again. "Uh oh, how are the Koa boys going to get out of this one?'

Here’s two more flag trivia: Which is the only flag in the world that does not have 4 angles?

Which are the only two flags in the world that are perfectly square?
I asked my 10-year-old, who knows all things flag-related, these questions.

The flag that does not have 4 angles is Nepal (it's a double pennant), and the square flags are Switzerland and Vatican City.

I asked my 10-year-old, who knows all things flag-related, these questions.

The flag that does not have 4 angles is Nepal (it's a double pennant), and the square flags are Switzerland and Vatican City.
Kudos to your child! Absolutely correct.

Just found out that Clint Eastwood is retiring. He's only 92.

That the actor who played "El Guapo" in The Three Amigos (1986) - real name: Alfonso Arau - also played one of the main Mexican Federales in The Wild Bunch (1969).

I realized this when I came across The Wild Bunch airing on TCM the other day. The Federal soldier named "Herrera" looked familiar and I immediately thought of "El Guapo," but then I thought the time frames were too far apart for it to be the same actor. But hey, 17 years isn't that long in a person's career. It's him in both movies!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/5572076001/
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That the actor who played "El Guapo" in The Three Amigos (1986) - real name: Alfonso Arau - also played one of the main Mexican Federales in The Wild Bunch (1969).

I realized this when I came across The Wild Bunch airing on TCM the other day. The Federal soldier named "Herrera" looked familiar and I immediately thought of "El Guapo," but then I thought the time frames were too far apart for it to be the same actor. But hey, 17 years isn't that long in a person's career. It's him in both movies!

Yes. Westerns wise he is also in El Topo and for U.S. films his other big highlighted role came in Romancing the Stone as Pepe, the Joan Wilder fan they stumble across who helps them escape in his "little mule". He is also a director having helmed films in Mexico and America including Like Water for Chocolate and A Walk in the Clouds.

The Wild Bunch odds and ends...

Alfonso Arau, who plays Mapche’s second in command, would go on to play the Mexican bandit leader El Guapo in John Landis' Western comedy ¡Three Amigos! (1986).

Identical twins do not have the same fingerprints!

Finding this out is related to a Jeopardy episode from a couple months ago...

A contestant told the show he was an identical twin. Host, Ken Jennings asked if the brothers thought about fooling the show by switching places. The contestant responded, "How do you know we didn't?" (which got a good audience laugh).

Ken replied, "We're going to have to start fingerprinting you guys!"

I thought Ken made a mistake because I thought it would make no difference since I was under the impression that identical twins were exact genetic copies and shared the same fingerprints.

But Ken Jennings is still smarter than me! Because, it turns out, fingerprints are formed by both DNA and pre-natal environmental factors (which can vary slightly even for identical twins) so even though their fingerprints may often be similar, they are not the same. In fact, it's theorized that no one's fingerprints in the history of mankind have ever been exactly the same.

I had never given it much thought but i just found out cows aren't native to the americas... makes perfect sense when i found out though.
Same with horses... kind of.

Horses did exist in North America for millions of years.

However, about 10,000 years ago at the end of the Pleistocene, most of North America’s large mammals, including Equus species, went extinct. The cause of their extinction is widely debated among the scientific community with a definitive conclusion not yet determined, but several theories exist.

So, Native Americans didn't have horses (or cattle) until they were introduced back into the Americas by Europeans in the late15th century.

I found out that spotted dick was some sort of British pudding. My wife asked me if I wanted it and I was just like huh.
Did you have it? If so, did you have it with custard? Done properly, you've got to have custard with it.