"WEDNESDAY" series-- Anyone watching?

Tools    

The Netflix series, Wednesday, is based on The Addams Family franchise. It tells the tale of daughter Wednesday Addams who, after being expelled from regular high school, is sent to "Nevermore Academy"-- a school for "monstrous outcasts". It's 8 episode span tells how she contrasts and adapts to the other students, and how she ends up sleuthing out a crime. Tim Burton is an executive producer, and he directed the first 4 episodes.

After the first episode I was skeptical. It seemed amateurish, and the gags seemed somewhat stale. Yet continued watching made it grow on me. It's a light horror comedic combination of Nancy Drew, Stranger Things, and Umbrella Academy.

The cast is pretty well chosen, and they all do nice work. The main character, Wednesday, is played nicely by Jenna Ortega. She's cute in her macabre way, and her diminutive 5'1" height enhances her dark plucky dour character. The contrast is striking when she stands up to the school's principal, Larissa Weems, who is played in heels by the already tall (6'3") actress.

But to me the show stealer is Emma Myers who plays Wednesday's roommate, Enid Sinclair. She's the exact opposite of Wednesday, and expresses an entire gamut of emotions-- all of them hilarious. Emma is certain to get a lot of work after this series.

I've only seen half of the episodes, but am looking forward to the other 4. So far it's a 7/10 for me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched the first episode yesterday. I thought it was going to be more of a remake about the entire Addams family, but it looks like it's basically going to be just about Wednesday Addams.

I could be interesting. I liked the first episode, but I didn't love it. It looks to be more of a mystery than a comedy.

Lisa Loring Dies: Actor & Original Wednesday Addams Was 64

Lisa Loring, best known for bring Wednesday Addams to life in The Addams Family sitcom in the mid-1960s, has died. She was 64.

Loring’s close friend Laure Jacobson shared in a Facebook post news of her death on January 28 after the actor was taken off life support following “a massive stroke.”

Click here to read the full article.

RIP

Lisa Loring Dies: Actor & Original Wednesday Addams Was 64

Lisa Loring, best known for bring Wednesday Addams to life in The Addams Family sitcom in the mid-1960s, has died. She was 64.

Loring’s close friend Laure Jacobson shared in a Facebook post news of her death on January 28 after the actor was taken off life support following “a massive stroke.”

Click here to read the full article.

RIP
Strangely ironic that she should die right when "Wednesday" has become a sensation.
(And 64 is not that old).

Very sad, if she'd lived perhaps they could have given her a cameo on the show.

Strangely ironic that she should die right when "Wednesday" has become a sensation.
(And 64 is not that old).

Very sad, if she'd lived perhaps they could have given her a cameo on the show.

Yeah, I thought that was sad too.

I think the first season has all been filmed already, so maybe she had a surprise cameo that we don't know about yet.

I watched the first episode yesterday. I thought it was going to be more of a remake about the entire Addams family, but it looks like it's basically going to be just about Wednesday Addams.

I could be interesting. I liked the first episode, but I didn't love it. It looks to be more of a mystery than a comedy.
I too was skeptical having watched the first episode. But continued watching gets one hooked, as the writing improves.

IMO Luis Guzman was miscast. He's not convincing, and the fat suit doesn't make it. Of all the actors they could have gotten for Gomez Addams, it doesn't make sense that he got the role. Probably something behind the scenes... The rest of the cast is good.

IMO Luis Guzman was miscast. He's not convincing, and the fat suit doesn't make it. Of all the actors they could have gotten for Gomez Addams, it doesn't make sense that he got the role. Probably something behind the scenes... The rest of the cast is good.

I thought Luis Guzman was miscast too, but I think they were trying to match the original "Addams Family" comic strip, not the TV show or movies. Based on his looks, they got it right, but I still don't like him in the role. Fortunately it looks like his character isn't a focus of the show.

^ He's the focus of one episode that was decent. I wasn't keen on his casting at first but he grew on me.

Unlike the guy who played Uncle Fester, was not keen on him at all.

^ He's the focus of one episode that was decent. I wasn't keen on his casting at first but he grew on me.

Unlike the guy who played Uncle Fester, was not keen on him at all.

I'm keeping an open mind on all of the characters. I'm trying to think of this as a totally new show, without comparing the characters to the previous versions of the characters.

This usually works for me when I watch any kind of remakes or reboots, so hopefully it will work with this show too.