The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Is anyone else gonna try to watch at least one of the revelations a day to maintain a 50% minimum?
Not me, I tried having a 2010s watch thread and failed miserably at watching anything in prep for the countdown. I think I only watched 3 movies

The Mill and the Cross was my 1-pointer. It's a beautiful, meditative film which takes us into the world of the painting The Procession to Calary from the 1500s, bringing the painting to life and introducing us to several of the figures in the painting. I felt like it deserved a tiny bit of recognition. If interested, the full movie is available on youtube.

And it's really depressing that Mark won't be with us for this countdown, telling us he's already seen all the one pointers and quickly watching the couple that he might not have seen. His input and his presence will be deeply missed.

Not me, I tried having a 2010s watch thread and failed miserably at watching anything in prep for the countdown. I think I only watched 3 movies

You need more dedication. There's a lot you can accomplish from watching just one movie, such as getting better writing examples of even life examples, and in my case helping with my lists. If I hadn't gotten around to the 2010's movies, I never would've checked out Get Out, Us and 12 Years a Slave, which inspired me to check out Spike Lee movies, notably Malcolm X. Now I'm watching one Spike Lee movie a day, and I guess I'll continue that even into the 2010's thread when I've already seen one or both of any daily reveals.

You need more dedication. There's a lot you can accomplish from watching just one movie, such as getting better writing examples of even life examples, and in my case helping with my lists. If I hadn't gotten around to the 2010's movies, I never would've checked out Get Out, Us and 12 Years a Slave, which inspired me to check out Spike Lee movies, notably Malcolm X. Now I'm watching one Spike Lee movie a day, and I guess I'll continue that even into the 2010's thread when I've already seen one or both of any daily reveals.
That's cool that you're watching all of Spike Lee's movies, have you watched any other director's filmography?

A system of cells interlinked
As we wait for the event to start, I am continuing to watch films from the era that I didn't have time to get to before the deadline. Just watched The Place Beyond the Pines this afternoon, as I continue my quarantine.

Liked it a whole lot, but most likely wouldn't have made my ballot.

That's cool that you're watching all of Spike Lee's movies, have you watched any other director's filmography?

I don't think I'm gonna watch ALL of them, just enough until I feel like I'm properly educated. In fact, Spike Lee's somebody I should've gotten around to years ago. Of course, a couple years ago I tried out Do the Right Thing and couldn't get invested in it. That's part of the reason I'm going on this binge, to get a good grip on him before checking out his supposed masterpiece. But I went through all the Tarantinos and saved Django Unchained for last, but I don't think that's much of an achievement. But I've seen most Coppola and James Cameron films and I think I'll get through the rest sometime.

Though on the subject of completionism, I've heard all the Bob Dylan, Nick Cave, Scorpions and Alice Cooper albums.

I don't think I'm gonna watch ALL of them, just enough until I feel like I'm properly educated. In fact, Spike Lee's somebody I should've gotten around to years ago. Of course, a couple years ago I tried out Do the Right Thing and couldn't get invested in it. That's part of the reason I'm going on this binge, to get a good grip on him before checking out his supposed masterpiece.
OK I see. Yeah it can be tiresome to watch every single movie a director ever made especially if they made 100s of them. You should have a good grip on Spike Lee's style of directing AND writing too... as he does write alot of his own movies.

Are you watching them in chronological order? I would recommend that, as that way you can chart how his style, commentary and subject matter changes over time.

But I went through all the Tarantinos and saved Django Unchained for last, but I don't think that's much of an achievement.
Nope not much of an achievement But I admire that you're checking out Lee's and/also other director's work. I think checking all of Tarantino's films is like analyzing all the frozen pizza at the grocery store.

But I've seen most Coppola and James Cameron films and I think I'll get through the rest sometime.
Coppola in my opinion is very worthy of a serious look at his filmography and I say that as someone who respects his work but I'm not necessarily his biggest fan.

OK I see. Yeah it can be tiresome to watch every single movie a director ever made especially if they made 100s of them. You should have a good grip on Spike Lee's style of directing AND writing too... as he does write alot of his own movies.

Are you watching them in chronological order? I would recommend that, as that way you can chart how his style, commentary and subject matter changes over time.

Nope not much of an achievement But I admire that you're checking out Lee's and/also other director's work. I think checking all of Tarantino's films is like analyzing all the frozen pizza at the grocery store.

Coppola in my opinion is very worthy of a serious look at his filmography and I say that as someone who respects his work but I'm not necessarily his biggest fan.
Coppola's my favorite so far. If you know your Coppola history, you can pick up on a lot of subtle (or not so subtle) storytelling elements in his recent art movie Tetro. As for an order, I'm mostly just going through his worst and his best from the 80's-90's before checking out Do the Right Thing, then I'll go for the modern stuff.

I may watch some of the movies that come up on the countdown itself if I haven't seen them and if they catch my interest, but I got a little burnt out from the pace I was keeping the last few months. I'm taking a break from movie watching for now.

Here are some more questions:

1) What films do you think will be at #100 and #99?

2) What genre do you think will be represented the most?

3) What foreign country do you think will be represented the most?

1) No idea whatsoever.

2) Drama

3) South Korea

Also, I got 23 upvotes when I signed in today. I must be really popular around here
Get used to that. At least for the duration of the countdown.

Is anyone else gonna try to watch at least one of the revelations a day to maintain a 50% minimum?
I already have some other films I'll be watching throughout the duration of the countdown, but I might get to a few of them.

Get used to that. At least for the duration of the countdown.
Oh, it's only going to happen throughout the countdown? That means that hosting this made everyone here like me a lot more, but once it ends, they'll all go back to hating me.

The truth is in here
No. But the unseen ones that peak my interest I will keep in mind to watch some other time.

Oh, it's only going to happen throughout the countdown? That means that hosting this made everyone here like me a lot more, but once it ends, they'll all go back to hating me.
I don't think they'll ever stop hating you. They just like to go click-click during countdowns

I don't think they'll ever stop hating you. They just like to go click-click during countdowns
They probably imagine themselves punching me in the face when they click the upvote button.

They probably imagine themselves punching me in the face when they click the upvote button.
Or punching Raul, but they take it out with the host.