Euphoria (HBO)

Tools    

Anybody catch this? Just finished it. 8 part series. I wasn't fussed on it after 1 episode but after the finale it's one of the best TV Shows of the year.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8772296...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

The camerawork, lighting and direction is absolutely insane. Great performances and some very heavy, deep material.

Can't see any other threads on this. It's back with a bang. Great TV.
I enjoyed season 1 much to my surprise. I’m unsubscribed to hbo at the mo, but will probably watch season 2 eventually. Did you see either of the specials or whatever they were called in the interim between seasons? I bailed out of the first one & didn’t see the second.

I enjoyed season 1 much to my surprise. I’m unsubscribed to hbo at the mo, but will probably watch season 2 eventually. Did you see either of the specials or whatever they were called in the interim between seasons? I bailed out of the first one & didn’t see the second.
I enjoyed them alot. The whole thing is a show that can do no wrong for me. I love it. So I guess I am biased. The 1st of the specials was heavily dialogue driven due to covid restrictions in filming but even that was terrific.

God this show is amazing. Zendaya's acting in the latest episode (S2E05) is incredible.

WARNING: "Euphoria season 2 ep5" spoilers below
Did anyone spot the famous face in the photo of Laurie and her ex husband? That is some teaser for a future episode

Finished the first season yesterday. The first episode didn't do much for me and some of the season's edgy bits came off as try-hard and unnecessary rather than provocative, but the season made up for these flaws with the complex characters and the dark directions they went in throughout the season. Overall, I felt it got far more right than wrong. It also looks quite lovely.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
I seriously think they started tacking on the BTS bits in season 2 to remind the audience that it's just a show.

Side note, I really enjoyed the first interim special with Rue, which should have been called My Dinner with Ali but found the Jules special a bit dull

I forgot to post in here about season 2. Overall, I don't have a lot of new thoughts on it, but I found it to be an improvement over season 1 since it fixed a couple of my issues. It also fleshed out a few of the characters much better. Looking forward to season 3.

I’m re-watching season one since it’s been a while & looking forward to season 2. Zendaya is an actress with a huge range. Impressive young woman.

the finale sucked but the show is great
I think both finales have sucked a bit now. But the rest of the show is so good it doesn't matter. It's almost like you can feel like the writers don't really want to end the story (albeit temporarily), they just want to continue telling it!

I enjoyed them alot. The whole thing is a show that can do no wrong for me. I love it. So I guess I am biased. The 1st of the specials was heavily dialogue driven due to covid restrictions in filming but even that was terrific.
I went back & finished special #1. Glad I did. I liked the 2nd special too as I like Jules.

God this show is amazing. Zendaya's acting in the latest episode (S2E05) is incredible.
Amazing episode. That one & episode 1 of season 2 were my faves. Shades of The Sopranos in episode 1.

the finale sucked but the show is great
Why did it suck for you? I loved it.

I think both finales have sucked a bit now. But the rest of the show is so good it doesn't matter. It's almost like you can feel like the writers don't really want to end the story (albeit temporarily), they just want to continue telling it!
Loved the finale of season 1 when Jules took off. Loved the finale of season 2.

My new fave character is fezco. I could listen to him all day long.

WARNING: "Euphoria season 2 ep5" spoilers below
Did anyone spot the famous face in the photo of Laurie and her ex husband? That is some teaser for a future episode
@Stirchley - The picture of Laurie's husband was none other than Jesse Plemmons. This could be a nod to her breaking bad style drug dealing or maybe it opens the possibility of Plemmons starring in a future Season?

@Stirchley - The picture of Laurie's husband was none other than Jesse Plemmons. This could be a nod to her breaking bad style drug dealing or maybe it opens the possibility of Plemmons starring in a future Season?
Dang, where is the photo? Episode 5? I don’t see it.

Dang, where is the photo? Episode 5? I don’t see it.
WARNING: spoilers below
Finally, I found it. Sure is Plemons. I loved his arc in BB. The only negative would be if he made Euphoria top-heavy, which can happen if a famous actor suddenly comes in. He wasn’t that well-known when he did BB.

I also realized that scary Laurie had pills she could give Rue. She didn’t have to give her morphine.

And Rue’s name is Ruby, which I didn’t know.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I watched season one with my girlfriend. I liked it but I wasn't in love with it. It's the cautionary tale for zoomers, every generation got one (what comes to mind immediately for me is Less Than Zero, more so the book rather than the movie). The show knows its audience, and perhaps I'm a bit past my expiration date for it. I don't know. It was good and dark, but not quite the kind of dark that I take a usual liking too.

I watched season one with my girlfriend. I liked it but I wasn't in love with it. It's the cautionary tale for zoomers, every generation got one (what comes to mind immediately for me is Less Than Zero, more so the book rather than the movie). The show knows its audience, and perhaps I'm a bit past my expiration date for it. I don't know. It was good and dark, but not quite the kind of dark that I take a usual liking too.
I would say season 2 is the better season. I really enjoyed it.

Just watched the pilot for the HBO drama Euphoria an often shocking and no holds-barred look at contemporary teenage life that works very hard to shock and offend, but could provide some important messages along the way. My interest in this series was piqued after its star, Zendaya, won two Emmys and a Golden Globe for her work as Rue Bennett, a 16 year old who has just gotten out of rehab but has no intention of staying sober as she lets us know in her slightly pretentious narration. As we meet Rue's circle of friends, we learn that American teenage life is not like an episode of Happy Days or an Archie comic book. We watch Rue purchase and use a drug that she never heard of. She asks he best friend Lexi for urine to pass a drug test. We watch Jules, meet a man older than her father at a hotel and a bunch of shirtless teenage sex addicts sexting and texting nude shots of female students to each other (why they were shirtless was a bit of puzzler). We also meet Rue's drug dealer, who thinks he's black and even he thinks Rue needs to slow down and not just because she owes him $120, which doesn't seem to concern him (something I found really hard to swallow). We also witness a friend of Rue's lose her virginity. There's so much going on here in an attempt to lure viewers to the show that I'm pretty sure as it progresses it will become a little more focused on particular stories and characters, at least I hope so, because keeping up with the pilot was a little exhausting, but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I understand the award love for Zendaya and was also impressed by Hunter Schafer as Jules, Angus McCloud as Fex and that was Judd Apatow's daughter, Maude playing Lexi. Not sure if the intended demographic for this show was teenagers, but it should be parents of teenagers.