The Genius of Beethoven

→ in
Tools    

Anyone else see this docudrama about the life of the great composer? I ran across it recently and was super impressed. Paul Rhys gives an intense and heavy and quite tragic portrayal of the German master. Honestly I never knew too much about him before and did not realize what a dour difficult bitter person he was. And the endless heartbreaks with women. No wonder his music was so stunningly emotional. He had so much to pour out.

The style is of a period piece where all Beethoven's family members and friends and acquaintances are "interviewed" in real time about dear Ludwig. Really cool and great costuming of course. And they dont hold back when it comes to a thorough exploration of the music itself. Modern day conductor Charles Hazlewood does a masterful job as the narrator putting all of Beethoven's works into the context of the times and of the specific events in his own life gripping him while he wrote them. And paints amazing pictures of the pieces themselves that prove extremely enlightening in understanding their genius in a very relatable way for the non classical expert.

If you have any interest at all in classical music or Beethoven or just like good documentaries i highly recommend this BBC classic. If youve already seen it let me know what you thought of it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
"Bach > Beethoven" - every RYM elitist ever
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bach was the greatest composer of music who has ever lived and a tireless machine of endless masterpieces. But Bach was not a creator as much as he was a perfecter of styles. Whereas Beethoven invented romantic music. And anyway theres plenty of room in the genius pool for both of them (and Mozart and Haydn etc.). Im a Paganini and Vivaldi guy myself. But nothing will ever move me as much as Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. And I didnt even know the real context of it until I saw this documentary (which incidentally is what this thread is about. Not about what composer is the best).

This sounds like an intriguing documentary. I missed it but will keep my eye out for it PBS stations here often broadcast that type of thing. Maybe it's online?
Your review makes me eager to watch it @I. Rex

I have a personal interest in movies about the life of musicians. I am also interested in the concept that the life of the musician or artist is not always reflective of the art - and vice versa.

Beethoven's music is magnificent! His life, apparently, was not of the same stuff. Looking forward to seeing this documentary - what is the title?

Beethoven's music is magnificent! His life, apparently, was not of the same stuff. Looking forward to seeing this documentary - what is the title?
The title is "The Genius of Beethoven". It was a three part series first broadcast by the BBC in 2005 I believe. But you can find it quite easily on YouTube divided neatly into its three parts. Here is a link to the first:

I found it very enlightening and Paul Rhys does a very good job in his portrayal. And its probably a good thing they did it in three separate episodes. Its pretty heavy and its probably a good idea to digest each episode for a while before storming into the next one. I watched it over the course of a whole week. Enjoy!

Thank you!!!! @I. Rex I am going out for lunch with friends now , but will watch it tonight.

I’m glad that you wrote a review of The Genius of Beethoven. Otherwise I might have never have known of its existence.

The 3 part series uses an unusual format: a period docudrama with frequent interludes by the composer/conductor/musicologist Charles Hazelwood, who is himself a highly regarded and popular figure today’s contemporary and classical music scene. Hazelwood deftly provides musical insight and explanation of music theory which accompanies the drama that anyone could understand.

The series in only 3 hours does an excellent job of capsulizing Beethoven’s life and career, which could easily withstand a 12 or 15 hour presentation. Many of the highlights (and low lights) of Beethoven’s life are examined. The viewer does not have to know anything about music, nor to be a fan of Beethoven to enjoy this mesmerizing series.

Beethoven single-handedly brought to a close the historical music period known as the Classical period and transitioned music into a new style referred to as the Romantic period. In the process he composed some of the most powerful music ever heard, until the appearance of later composers such as Wagner, Richard Strauss, Prokofiev, and Stravinsky. I spent 6 years in music school, where we studied Beethoven’s symphonies and piano sonatas. We were astounded that someone in the early 1800s had composed music of his complexity and innovation.

The acting is first rate, with Paul Rhys turning in a fine performance as Beethoven. The supporting cast is peppered with seasoned British actors. The music performance is perfect-- the orchestral segments presumably performed by Hazelwood’s “Army of Generals” orchestra, comprised of some of the UK’s finest musicians.

The BBC has done some extraordianry documentaries over the years, and this miniseries ranks up in the top tier. All 3 parts are available on YouTube, so it’s easily accessible. Treat yourself to an absorbing and unusual docudrama.

~Doc

@I. Rex. This was wonderful. I thank you for telling us about it, and for posting the link (busy week so I just started watching last evening)
This was one documentary/movie I certainly found worth watching. At first, I will admit, I found the back and forth of the narration and then switching to the movie like story a bit 'mannered.' But I was swiftly drawn into the story, and began to relish having this look into his life interspersed with '60 minutes' style commentary effective and engaging. The photography was very well done. with Rembrandt light on moments of intimate portraiture, and the settings so real it was if one was living in that centuries -old era, when it was vibrant and new.

Some scenes that particularly captured me were:
The piano competition in Vienna when the snide Ludwig - after rude comments on his rival 's handling of a piece that came off as capable and rote- redeems himself by transforming music that seemed trite and uninspired into a work of passion, complexity and beauty.

The moonlight sonata, played for his girlfriend. shortly contrasted with this vain and spoiled lady of means complaining about his clothes and mostly, his lack of higher financial status. So sad that she ' missed' who he was.

And strikingly: the moment he realizes that he would crave death over deafness- but, - heroically indeed- will live for the muse, the music and the legacy he will gift to the world.

And of course -the MUSIC- I love hearing it along with knowing the evolution of each piece.
Like you I had a sketchy knowledge of his life and was intrigued with all that made him who he was (didn't realize he began to go deaf so early) .

I again thank you for posting this I. Rex, I will probably re watch it before going to the next installment (I think you said I could find it on YouTube?) . My favorite of his pieces are the Fifth and the Sixth ((pastoral) symphonies. So I am eager to see the next installments that reveal this greatest of all classical musician's journey to creating his masterpieces.

And I'll return with more comments .

Glad you enjoyed it. Just as a heads up, it looks like someone has gone after the BoschPianoMusic posting of the third episode for copy write violations (not sure why just the third but geez how frustrating after watching the first two). So the only one I could find after a brief search recently is a Spanish subtitled version of it:

The double subtitling is a little annoying but you get used to it after a while. Interestingly I found that the spanish subtitles were more accurate than the english ones. But just ignore both of course since its all spoken in english. The second episode is just fine though so use the BoschPianoMusic posting of that one.

The moonlight sonata, played for his girlfriend. shortly contrasted with this vain and spoiled lady of means complaining about his clothes and mostly, his lack of higher financial status. So sad that she ' missed' who he was.
Oh my god I LOVED that scene. So much conveyed in looks. Shes impressed at first, then non plussed then it all comes together for her that hes doing this to woo her to marrying him and it ends up feeling so superficial yet artistically completely out of her reach and he finishes, looks over at her and she says with a combination of deep disdain and sadness, "Well... bravo..." Fantastic!!!

I doesnt hurt that the Moonlight Sonata (technically Piano Sonata No. 14) is easily my favorite piece of work by any classical composer. Ive seen guitar versions of it that bring me to tears. So the way they convey its significance in this documentary was like verification of everything I'd ever thought about its power and beauty.