Halloween Reboot

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
This is where I admit to have never actually seen any of the Halloween movie, rather just bits and pieces of different ones over time (LL Cool J?)

I think this looks fun. My main draw is to see what McBride and DGG came up with and to see how they’ll adapt their sensibilities (particularly this oddly dark sense of humor that’s, really, only ever been glimpsed at in their previous projects, collaborative or not) to the genre.

But I’ll do my homework before this comes out. No worries.

Going by what's said in that trailer they have ignored everything after the first Halloween film then? So it's basically a sequel to the original film, interesting.

Didn't actually think much of that trailer, will see. Hope it turns out good.

It's Old Man Michael

I'm tempted to go through all the Halloween films again to prepare for this one. Having seen a fair few of them, this will very much be the first time I've been to the cinema for a Halloween film. Incredible really. Never bothered with the Rob Zombie ones.

Going by what's said in that trailer they have ignored everything after the first Halloween film then? So it's basically a sequel to the original film, interesting.

Didn't actually think much of that trailer, will see. Hope it turns out good.

This is where I admit to have never actually seen any of the Halloween movie, rather just bits and pieces of different ones over time (LL Cool J?)

I think this looks fun. My main draw is to see what McBride and DGG came up with and to see how they’ll adapt their sensibilities (particularly this oddly dark sense of humor that’s, really, only ever been glimpsed at in their previous projects, collaborative or not) to the genre.

But I’ll do my homework before this comes out. No worries.

Well we don't really have any idea where this series starts or stops...here's a basic primer because continuity does not exist.

Prequel/Remake - Halloween (2007) - Rob Zombie decided to "remake" as more of an exploitative grind house type horror film. We go through young Michael Myers for half the film and then we get a retelling of the 1978 version. It's good on first view, not so much on repeat viewings.

Halloween 2 (2009) - this is then the sequel to the 2007 version where it just goes bonkers. I hated it but some people really dig the visual aesthetics and acid tone of this one. You can view this as one separate entity.

1. Halloween (1978) - Is the basic story, this is John Carpenters version it works as a stand alone but you have an ambiguous ending. A number of things Carpenter does is play with framing and the idea of the "boogeyman" in suburbia.
2. Halloween II (1981) - This is a direct sequel to the original, the entire cast is back the story takes place mostly in a hospital I find it quite watchable.

Plot A - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - For several people who are fans of the series this is their favorite of the Halloween movies. Laurie Strode is dead/gone and now the story takes a step with Danielle Llyod, Laurie's daughter. This could still be canon with Judy Greer playing Danielle.
  • Halloween 5 (1989) - is a continuation of 4, it makes a terrible choice and is almost a comedy.
  • Halloween 6 has two cuts, one a producers cut the other recut after the test screening. Neither are particularly good but entertaining to watch both of them to see the different directions the story goes.
Plot B. Halloween H20

Halloween H20 is the idea that Danielle didn't exist and Laurie faked her death and rebuilt her life in a private boarding school. This is the LL Cool Jay version (he's a security guard). This is the Scream/Slasher type Halloween film the cast is pretty high level, they also try and fix the continuity of the series

• Halloween Resurrection, concludes the story in H20 and then tells a different Michael Myers tale. The first act is good everything after it is terrible.
Alternate Tales

Halloween: Season of the Witch - Is a stand alone cult science fiction film

They also have an excellent Swedish remake called Fritt Vilt(2006/2007) (Cold Prey), where they take the Michael Myers story and put it in the mountains at an abandoned ski lodge. Which is a very good pair of slashers.

Wow. Great post Siddon. I think that encapsulates the series so far pretty nicely.

Wow. Great post Siddon. I think that encapsulates the series so far pretty nicely.
this ^

Eesh. Will they ever stop? Looks coma inducingly boring, with only the discomfort of cringing to keep me awake and tortured.

I don't mind them trying every decade or so, I actually prefer Michael to Jason and Freddy because they are willing to reboot it every few years.

My favorite scene of all time is still from the first movie when Michael first gets out of the asylum and hops in a car and just drives off like he's been driving for years... Realism... That's what I looks for in these movies.

Plot A - [b]... Danielle Llyod...
Character is Jamie Lloyd - played by Danielle Harris. Also, H3 had some sci-fi elements but the themes were rooted in pagan/celtic mythology. I liken the mask aspect as being symbolic of the planting of crops and then reaping them en masse.. with power emanating from bits of stonehenge. It was corny and cool at the same time IMO.

H6 Director's cut is a different film than the theatrical release. Well, sort of - have you ever seen those youtube vids where someone cuts a comedy (for example) into a horror movie trailer? The director's cut changed the whole perspective. I love all of the films and this cut rates high for me.

Other than that - nice write up.

I always liked the idea that Michael Myers starts out as a normal kid in suburbia - and then some 'evil' bubbles up from within. Definitely symbolic of the human condition (I liked M. Night's treatment of this idea in The Village as well). Zombie gave M.M. an excuse for his psychopathy - kind of let the air out for me. His remake had some moments though - all centered around the mask (for me).

Really looking forward to the new film. I can't seem to get enough of the series (silly as that is). It's like a soap opera with a non cohesive plot. Each installment though, for me, has struck a nerve in some way, large or small.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I like the retcon since every other Halloween film is bogus. I do like H20 though, but that may be because it was one of the first ones I watched.

This looks like they are really paying tribute to the original. Carpenter is on board and I like the inside jokes of people making up the whole brother thing.

Suspect's Reviews

They also have an excellent Swedish remake called Fritt Vilt(2006/2007) (Cold Prey), where they take the Michael Myers story and put it in the mountains at an abandoned ski lodge. Which is a very good pair of slashers.

I love Skandi horror! Great film!

I'm REALLY looking forward to this...Been a Halloween fan since it came out. Hoping they deliver something amazing!