The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It is probably the hardest list I ever put together.

The tough part is, unlike a decade thing, where it just has to be within the decade, this list really challenges you to think "when is a movie an action film?" or simply "when is it 'action' enough?"... There are a lot of films I feel like aren't really action flicks to me, so I leave them out.

I try to look at movies I watch in-part for the action and also how memorable the action set-pieces are. If it's only partly action, but driven by pure tension and adrenaline I feel like it fits as well. But a lot of films are only thrillers or crime dramas and I simply can't see them belong on my list.

Anyways, I'm working hard on it, planning on sending today but maybe tomorrow...

It is probably the hardest list I ever put together.

The tough part is, unlike a decade thing, where it just has to be within the decade, this list really challenges you to think "when is a movie an action film?" or simply "when is it 'action' enough?"... There are a lot of films I feel like aren't really action flicks to me, so I leave them out.

I try to look at movies I watch in-part for the action and also how memorable the action set-pieces are. If it's only partly action, but driven by pure tension and adrenaline I feel like it fits as well. But a lot of films are only thrillers or crime dramas and I simply can't see them belong on my list.

Anyways, I'm working hard on it, planning on sending today but maybe tomorrow...
I ran into the same problems you did. I'll have to change a few of my selections.

We now have 40 Lists spanning 412 Movies, and the current 3rd and 4th most voted movies have switched places again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
One of the movies that I'm considering for my list isn't listed as "action" on either IMDB or Wikipedia, but I think it has an "action feel" to it.

If anyone has seen the movie Source Code (2011), can you just tell me if you think it should be eligible for this list?

Here's the trailer:

Source Code should definitely be eligible. Even Wikipedia calls it a "science fiction thriller." I liked it a lot, though it's been a while since I've seen it.

It's more of a thriller to me, but it is tense and adrenaline fueled almost all the way through, so I could definitely see someone calling it an action-thriller of sorts. I wouldn't mind it on the list.

I've sent in my votes... was one of the 1st to do so.

I am so doing what everyone else did when I held the Comics List and asking to change my list 7 minutes after the deadline has gone.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Source Code should definitely be eligible. Even Wikipedia calls it a "science fiction thriller." I liked it a lot, though it's been a while since I've seen it.

Thanks. I liked it a lot too, and I was thinking about rewatching it tonight to see if it would make my list, but I didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't eligible.

I've sent in my votes... was one of the 1st to do so.

I am so doing what everyone else did when I held the Comics List and asking to change my list 7 minutes after the deadline has gone.
Did people honestly ask you to do that? I remember sending a last minute one and you realizing mistakes in it and after i corrected those you finding more

Did people honestly ask you to do that? I remember sending a last minute one and you realizing mistakes in it and after i corrected those you finding more

I'll give you one guess who asked to change their vote.

Thanks. I liked it a lot too, and I was thinking about rewatching it tonight to see if it would make my list, but I didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't eligible.
Works for me.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
Question for the host....how many movies on people's list did you reject?
None.

The only movies (one in particular) I felt like disputing I've sent PMs to the people nominating them, and in either case they haven't earned enough votes to wind up on the countdown, even though I'm sure there's a few people will consider to be borderline action.

I think most cases the person running lets each person design and alter there own list but may make pointers and remind the person of the rules so wont disqualify that persons list. Source Code seems more like a Thriller and maybe low end action. If You are wanting an action movie i would not seek a Jake Gyllenhaul movie. I think Patriot Games or ,Mission Impossible be better fits in action then Source Code. But again that is my opinion.

I didnt per say plan for mine either. I think a list like 50s you have too do more work figuring out your list to remember the movies year while in action movie idea you more or less can pick just about anything long as it makes since action wise in my opinion action and sci fi make good bed fellows.

I think most cases the person running lets each person design and alter there own list but may make pointers and remind the person of the rules so wont disqualify that persons list.
Just FYI, whether changes to countdown ballots are permitted is entirely up to each individual countdown host.

When I hosted the Animation Countdown, all ballots were final once submitted except in cases of obvious errors (misnumbered lists, lists with movies accidentally entered twice), disqualified films, or in certain special cases I made some suggestions before accepting them.

Omni has said pretty much from the start that revisions were allowable for this list. But it's not something people should assume is okay in future lists.