Point Break vs. Fast and the Furious

Tools    

Has anyonenoticed the uncanny resemblance between these movies? Both plots include an undercover cop getting into an xtreme sport to break a crime group, falls in love, and the woman finds out he is a cop. Coincedence? What do you think?

Originally posted by Zeiken
Both plots include an undercover cop getting into an xtreme sport
i hardly think surfing and driving hotted up cars count as extreme sports

the storylines of those 2 movies are so lame (although i enjoyed both of them) any tv cop movie-of-the-week would probably go the same way IMO

Point Break kicks FATF's ass. Proof, you ask? Fine. At no point in FATF does anyone use a dog, or any household pet for that matter, as a projectile weapon. Point Break has got that, and a great tag line to boot: "It's 100% pure adrenaline!" I rest my case.

what about that other recent "ultragnarly" feel good car thief movie of the year, gone in 60 seconds? they all suck, imo, point break's only saving grace was keanu reeves. wotanactor!~...--g}

******* by Nature
Point Break was a much better movie!!
FATF was a poor exuse for a movie. Only reason it was made, because of the remake of Gone in Sixty Seconds!!!

IMO Point Break completely owns FATF, FATF seems like its trying to hard to be a cool movie that appeals to teenage kids and i think the end result is just lame, also the characters were very unlikable, but that just just my opinion.

Originally posted by n7of9

i hardly think surfing and driving hotted up cars count as extreme sports

the storylines of those 2 movies are so lame (although i enjoyed both of them) any tv cop movie-of-the-week would probably go the same way IMO

Yes dear but what about skydiving? That's kind of extreme...

Point Break is the better film. Keanu I can live without, but the film wasn't bad.

i think the point break was a better film. the acting was way better than in fast and the furious.
at the edn all movies have the same point.
take any movie that comes out. they all have something in common. for example this core movie, same thing as armagedon just in the different diffection.
ice age, shrek- big and small and have to resque someone.

I have noticed that also but no one seemed to agree with me so i am glad to see this post.

I see exactly what you are saying they are very similar plot wise and also some scenes in the films Fast and the Furious are strikingly similar to Point Break.

1. Paul Walker and Keanu Reeves' characters are both undercover police officers who submerse themselves in a youth sub-culture (in Point Break it is surfing, In the Fast & Furious it's Import Racing).

2. Both Vin Deisel and Patrick Swayze's Character are leader of a group the are responsible for some form of Heidt or another. Also they are the 'leaders' or 'legends' of the sub-culture inwhich the undercover police officer is trying to become a part of.

3. Both Paul Walker and Keanu Reeves' Characters (Brian and Johnny) allow their suspect to escape in or on whatever the tool of the sub-culture is. ( In the Fast and the Furious Vin Diesel ( Dominick) left in the "10 second" Supra and in Point Break Patrick Swayze (Bodhi) left on his surfboard.

4. Both Johnny and Brian fall in love with a girl and have there identity revealed because of it.

5. Both films have a bust on the wrong suspects. (Tran's house in the Fast and the Furious and the 'Arms dealing stoner surfers' in Point Break)

There is much more but I think this is enough. If you still believe that this is still merely a coincidence and that the Fast and the Furious is not inspired from Point Break, you are the same person that thought Adaptation was a pointless movie and Vanilla Sky confused you. You should be killed. Thank you.

Hey guys I think we should include Peter Werner's NO MAN LAND's (1987) in this conversation.

It features Charlie Sheen as the leader of a car theft ring who specializes in stealing Porsches. D B Sweeney is the cop assingned to go undercover and bust Sheen. Only problem is he gets a buzz out of the high life and stealing cars. Of course he falls for Sheen's beautiful sister who has no idea he's a cop. Lots of fast driving and blurred lines between right and wrong ensue. Will he bust his best friend or not?? Sound familiar??

It came out 4 years before POINT BREAK and I think has far more in common with FAST & THE FURIOUS......

One of my guilty pleasures from way back.

When you run out of plots just go back in time and revamp an old story, again and again.

I remember the first time that i watch FATF, i could go through that whole movie and point out things that reminded me so much of Point Break which btw is an awesome movie.

Old thread, but with FF getting an 8th outing and Point Break being remade, I found this on t'web...

The Fast And The Furious - Undercover police officer Brian O’Connor (Paul Walker) must delve into Los Angeles’ exotic street racing subculture to crack a ring of daring hijackers.

Point Break - Undercover FBI agent Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) must delve into Los Angeles’ exotic surfing subculture to crack a ring of daring bank robbers, the Ex-Presidents.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Film features long, lovingly-shot racing sequences.

Point Break - Film features long, lovingly-shot surfing sequences.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian initially has trouble picking up race car driving, embarrassing himself on the racing scene.

Point Break - Utah has trouble picking up surfing, embarrassing himself on the surfing scene.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian falls for waitress Mia (Jordanna Brewster), the sister of the mysterious, charismatic Dominic (Vin Diesel). Dominic’s initially wary of their relationship.

Point Break - Utah falls for waitress Tyler (Lori Petty), the ex-lover of the mysterious, charismatic Bodhi (Patrick Swayze). Bodhi’s initially wary of their relationship.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Mia initially spurns Brian’s advances, finding his flirting irritating.

Point Break - Tyler initially spurns Utah’s advances, finding his flirting irritating.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian’s first encounter with Dominic's gang of scruffy, roughneck racers is tense.

Point Break - Utah’s first encounter with Bodhi’s gang of scruffy, roughneck surfers is tense.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Prominent popular musician (Ja Rule) plays supporting role as an competing driver. His last scene in the movie is a comical one, as he loses the race and is dissed by his girl. ("*****, you didn’t win!")

Point Break - Prominent popular musician (Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Anthony Kiedis) plays supporting role as an evil surfer. His last scene in the movie is a comical one, as he accidentally shoots himself in the foot. ("Aaaaah!")
--
The Fast And The Furious - Dom's gang, and Dom himself, think Brian’s too preppy and square.

Point Break - Bodhi’s gang, and Bodhi himself, think Utah’s too preppy and square.
--
The Fast And The Furious - The handsome, magnetic Dom's popular with the ladies, making girlfriend Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) a bit jealous.

Point Break - The handsome, magnetic Bodhi’s popular with the ladies, making ex-girlfriend Tyler jealous.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian and Dom share their first bonding moment when Brian rescues Dom from the cops.

Point Break - Utah and Bodhi share their first bonding moment when Bodhi rescues Utah from a band of rival surfers.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian and Dominic eventually bond over shrimp and fries at a restaurant on the beach.

Point Break - Utah and Tyler eventually bond when he orders shrimp and fries at a restaurant on the beach.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian’s investigation is assisted by Tanner (Ted Levine), his grizzled, veteran partner.

Point Break - Utah’s investigation is assisted by Pappas (Gary Busey), his grizzled, veteran partner.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian's under pressure from FBI Agent Bilkins (Thom Berry), his commanding officer, to solve the case.

Point Break - Utah’s under pressure from FBI Agent Harp (John C. McGinley), his commanding officer, to solve the case.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian participates in a raid on sinister racer Johnny Tran (Rick Yune) and his gang. He’s subsequently disgraced in the department's eyes when it’s revealed Tran’s gang, though they were in fact involved in criminal dealings, are the wrong guys.

Point Break - Utah participates in a raid on sinister surfer Bunker (Chris Pedersen) and his gang. He’s subsequently disgraced in the department's eyes when it’s revealed that Bunker’s gang, though they were in fact involved in criminal dealings, are the wrong guys.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Tanner fears Brian’s proximity to Mia and the charismatic Dom is clouding his vision to the truth: that Dom’s crew is the gang they’re looking for.

Point Break - Pappas fears that Utah’s proximity to Tyler and the charismatic Bodhi is clouding his vision of the truth: that Bodhi’s crew is gang they're looking for.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Dom’s obsessed with the car that his late father built, yet he also fears it. It ironically figures into what appears to be his ultimate fate.

Point Break - Bodhi’s obsessed with surfing the "50 Year Storm" in bells Beach, Australia, the biggest wave break in the world, yet he also fears it. It ironically figures into what appears to be his ultimate fate.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian risks everything when he finds himself involved in the gang's final, botched hijacking, as two of the gang are wounded by the reckless actions of a driver trying to be a vigilante. It was meant to be their last job.

Point Break - Utah risks everything when he finds himself involved in the Ex-Presidents’ final, botched robbery, as two of the gang are killed by the reckless actions of an off-duty cop trying to be a vigilante. It was meant to be their last job for the summer.
--
The Fast And The Furious - Dominic has a philosophical, quasi-spiritual view of racing ("I live my life a quarter-mile at a time.")

Point Break - Bodhi has a philosophical, spiritual view of surfing ("Feel what the wave is doing. Then accept its energy, get in sync, then charge with it... [Surfing]’s a state of mind. It’s that place where you lose yourself and you find yourself.")
--
The Fast And The Furious - Brian eventually acts against his instincts as a law officer and lets Dominic go. The film ends with Dominic driving away, with his fate left ambiguous. Brian walks away in slow motion as the end credit music swells.

Point Break - Utah eventually acts against his instincts as a law officer and lets Bodhi go. The film ends with Bodhi surfing into a massive wave, with his fate left ambiguous. Utah walks away as the end credit music swells