Grand Theft Auto V

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

I'm just messing around in the game still. So much fun content.I somehow got this shark to come ashore, and then I killed it. Shark killa.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Not quite as glorious as yours Lucas, but this game does keep giving ...

Just didn't feel the game, personally.

Fair enough.

I love chasing injured planes over hills on a dirt bike me. And trying to park cars on moving trains. And listening to Weasel News reports about 'bring your semi-automatic to work day' being banned (causing an outcry, and calls for 'concealed handgun Tuesday' to be brought back). And driving very fast through very small gaps.

And… finding my abandoned submarine in the police lockup

It's got a lot of flaws, and it hasn't exactly evolved a huge amount between games, but it's definitely one of the most content-rich sandbox games out there. Lovingly made, and only ever-so-slightly soiled.

What didn't grab you? The story/characters? Sameyness? Game mechanics?

A system of cells interlinked
I had a blast playing it, and did pretty much all the content I could find! Great game!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Enjoyed the story but have felt zero need to play since. It all just feels a bit too linear, like I've said before when you've played Fallout/Elder Scrolls you can't go back again. Yes GTAV has a huge world with stuff to do but it's mostly just a huge map with not much going on.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I might give GTAV another shot when it's released on PC. 30fps and that awful control lag is not what I like games for.

Of course, Rockstar being Rockstar, when it is released on PC we'll still have the crap controls and there's no guarantee we'll get decent framerates. GTAIV runs around 40fps for me (and not at max graphics settings either) while I can run a fully modded Skyrim on Ultra at 90-100 since I got my 7950.

Bethsheda stuff is the bomb, but the distinct appeal of GTA for me lies in the comedy, cars and carnage. Basically, GTA is one big hairy inappropriate C-bomb . I know that there are still laughs to be had out there: incidental graffiti, radio phone-ins, emergent cop catastrophes all waiting to be stumbled on. The online aspect helps add longevity too (altho Skyrim's getting in on that too it seems), and the fun of controller-sharing round one console with friends helps n'all.

I'll put more hours all told into a Beth game I reckon (I had to break off from Fallout 3 as it was eating too much of my life, having only just finished wallowing in Skyrim), and I'm only dipping into GTA occasionally, making my own fun after finishing the story. It does feel like those three aspects keep holding appeal longer than the comparable highs to be found in other sandboxes though. They just feel a little bit more vibrant and re-visitable, even after time.

That said, I do think I'm pretty much done with it . Just a bit of no-HUD cop-dodging, then a wee wait for online heists…

I recently completed GTA's "Episodes from Liberty City", which was the DLC associated with GTA IV.

Man o' man, I hope they've addressed the lousy checkpoint system in GTA V...

Yep, no tedious commuting to the same place. It holds your hand so much it practically changes gear for you . But in a good 'pure action' kinda way. Everything's broken into smaller chapters, which you can even skip if your feeling the rage-quit.

Yep, no tedious commuting to the same place. Everything's broken into smaller chapters, which you can even skip if your feeling the rage-quit.
This is REALLY good news - and will mean I will actually purchase and play GTA V (okay, once it drops in price somewhat) instead of skipping it.

Your "rage-quit" comment was perceptive, as GTA "Liberty City" is one of the very few games I've ever "exited" in that manner. It came after struggling through a particularly long and tedious chapter, then having to lose police notoriety at the end. To my surprise, if you failed to elude the cops, YOU HAD TO REPEAT THE ENTIRE CHAPTER - 10 to 15 minutes of shooting the same guys, just to get another chance to escape the cops.

My controller almost met the wall on that one.

Yeah, I did the same thing with GTA IV, with some mission where you have to drive to some abandoned house, get into a big shootout, and then evade the police. Loooooong drive each time I died (which ended up being like 5-6 times, I think). It was a huge gameplay oversight, and I'm glad they've fixed it.

I'm also glad I'll get a chance to tool around my own hometown in virtual form. Having had to battle L.A. traffic for years, it will be nice to wreak a little "virtual mayhem" on the freeways!

The People's Republic of Clogher
You should give Midnight Club LA a try - LA's been pretty lovingly modelled (although understandable a bit condensed) in there. It's also by Rockstar.

Still faffing around a bit in this. Mainly online for content, although I miss the gloss of the offline world when I'm there. Had some fun attempts at missions (they really are genuinely tough, even on easy. Either that or everyone I play with is a numpty. Including myself ) Even coming close to succeeding is proving fun most of the time tho. Yesterday this mainly involved failed parachute escapes from a building-top shoot-out.

The user-generated content adds just a whole 'nother layer of chaos. Rockstar seem to be merrily endorsing shonky & insane levels. Which is fine by me

Like the idea of this simple GTA race / cops-n-robbers hybrid…

Loving the online race Grand Tour. Epic use of the country-into-city segue

Turning on the GTA boosts & rockets makes for grand-scale carnage too. (The truly brave/masochistic might go for cops on top, but I just tried that on the shorter Route 68. Twas fun, and an interesting leveller of sorts - the more adept tyre-shooters & grenade-droppers ended up with a greater fleet of cops barrelling into their way )

The GTA race mode has that Mario appeal for me, and when you add in the course variety on the best maps I reckon I'll keep enjoying it for a while.

Found a few fun air races too - one decent jet jaunt (altho the missile lock-ons are a bit daft in open country), and some fun city crane-dodgings with the stunt plane.

Still trying to refind a great motorbike race which used thin winding tracks across multiple levels of the city. Really fun seat-of-your-pants ride.

Had a play with the online content generator. Race creation is actually pretty intuitive & effective.

Designing a race that isn't incredibly cruel and convoluted tho? Not so easy

Made a slightly less mental racetrack . (Get to the church and win y'self a bride )

Hey, did any of you guys ever get the mini gun from Fort Zancudo? And uh... driving around and over most everyone in one of those really big dump trucks you get at the quarry is pretty dope! It seems that they explode if you run over cars the wrong way though... pfft!

Only messed with it via cheats. Ay, tis a silly thing The fort tended to kill me unless I was just passing through