Tools    

I'm holding out hope that the textures will look a little more detailed on the finished product, but we'll see. I think a huge part of the problem (though I don't think it looks bad at all) is how blue the Na'vi are. I think it'd all look a bit better if the colors were toned down a bit. I don't know how much of the "unrealistic" look is a result of the quality of the effects, and how much is simply our brains constantly reminding us that few things in reality are actually that colorful. I don't know if you'll ever make something that unusual look truly realistic, because there's not much in reality to compare it to to begin with.

Honestly, after all the hype, I'm not impressed. To me the graphical quality is only slightly above Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I could still distinguish between practical and cg images. The general look reminds me of cut scenes from various PS2 to PS3 titles. The very end of the trailer with the two blue elf-like people falling into each other reminded me of the intro to FF8 especially. Also, the space marines reminded me of the cg Starship Troopers animated series. I just wonder how much thought went into the story, versus the supposedly "groundbreaking" technology.

...uh the post is up there...

Well, as far as we know we can still distinguish between the real images and the CGI. If we couldn't tell the difference, we wouldn't know we couldn't tell the difference.

That said, I'll admit to being a little underwhelmed by the trailer. However I've also heard a lot of emphasis on the film's visual potency coming from he new type of subtler 3D that it's supposed to be seen with, so I'll hold off on anything definitive until then.

I do agree about that last shot, though.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I've seen the trailer a few times now and while it does get slightly better each time, it still doesn't really do anything for me. I hate trailers full of spoilers as much as the next guy, but a teaser trailer still needs something to tease you with.

Unless of course this was put together to be a technological showcase, in which case it fails somewhat by not being an awful lot better than what weve seen before. I'll give it more time obviously, but so far I've seen nothing as convincing as Davey Jones from the POTC sequels.

p.s. Comparisons with Delgo

It amazes me.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
But you'll still watch it then?

As Yoda states, the technology differences between Willow and T2 were extreme.

Art begins with concepts.
Technique at achieving these concepts evolve.

Avatar trailer breaks Apple record

If you were eagerly awaiting the Avatar trailer last Thursday on the Apple Trailers website you will have noticed that the trailer didn’t appear straight away when the week long countdown reached zero. It took around 15 minutes before the trailer was actually available to download and stream.

From ComingSoon.net:

Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the AVATAR teaser trailer has become the most-viewed trailer ever on the popular iTunes Movies Trailer section of apple.com, which Thursday hosted the long-awaited public first look at writer-director James Cameron’s motion picture epic. The teaser registered over four million streams in its first day on the site, shattering the previous record of 1.7 million.
For anyone wondering the 1.7 million download record holder was Star Trek.

Source: Filmonic

Avatar Video Game Trailer & Toy Images

After the teaser trailer for Avatar premiered to a lot of fan debate a few days ago, we now also have the Avatar video game trailer for you, as well as a batch of images from the accompanying toy line.

The video game of Avatar has been in the making for over two and a half years now, being developed right alongside the movie. Unlike most games based on upcoming movies (which are mostly just rushed to get it on the shelves when the movie comes out), the Avatar game was developed as an extension of the movie. The game has its own creatures, settings and weapons, some designed by Ubisoft (the game company) and some even by Weta (who’re doing the CGI for the movie). James Cameron has even revealed that some of things in the game he incorporated into the actual movie.

That’s certainly impressive to hear about a movie-based game…

Up until now we’ve only had a look at the Avatar game through various still images, which can only say so much about the game.

Take a look:

&

Along with the Avatar video game trailer, we also have a bunch of images of the Avatar action figures. We got a quick look at one of the toys early last month, but the image was swiftly pulled down by the studio. This wasn’t surprising, considering that at the time the toy was our first real insight into what the blue Na’vi aliens of Avatar look like, and toys don’t always show off a character in the best light.

Anyway, now we have a bunch of images, so check out a few of the Avatar toys below:

The Avatar video game is set to be released sometime on early November 24th, 2009, with the actual movie being released in 3D and regular theaters on December 18, 2009.

Source: Screenrant

I doubt those toys will be sold out of every store come Christmas.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

What Would James Cameron's Classic Characters Look Like In 'Avatar'?

Max Guevara (Jessica Alba, "Dark Angel")

Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio, "Titanic")

Helen Tasker (Jamie Lee Curtis, "True Lies")

The T-800 (Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Terminator")

Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton, "Terminator 2: Judgment Day")

Source: MTV

Hey, how come these photos look just as good as those in the new Avatar movie?!

i saw the trailer and i was amazed with the visuals but with regards to the story, i'm not yet sure. it's not enough that the movie works with spectacular visual effects. in the end, some people might overlook the beauty of it all if the story come across as weak and predictable. still, this movie is worth checking out..