The Hall of Infamy

Tools    

While I hope you all "enjoy" Krampus: The Christmas Devil, I am sorry that you will miss out on the many pleasures of The Still Life, including but not limited to:

* A man punching a hole in a painting, declaring that a new art movement called "deconstructionism" and having the entire art world go totally gaga for him

* A man receiving an intimate sexual act through a hole he has punched in a painting.

* Watching a movie that whole-heartedly thinks it's saying something about art, that doesn't seem to be saying anything or maybe even know anything about art.

I actually remember very little about Krampus: The Christmas Devil, but I rated it a 3/10 which for me is incredibly harsh.

I'll check for it now and then.If I find it I'll let people who wanna see it know.

Going Overboard

About 2% of the movie was chuckle-worthy. It was a bad comedy literally about bad comedians. To be fair, I have to question Valerie Breiman;s early taste in comedy. This and her Bikini Squad film were specifically about poor quality, but there was little focus on making things good quality.

I'll check for it now and then.If I find it I'll let people who wanna see it know.
If anyone you know every wants to watch The Still Life, be a good friend and get them the mental health help that they desperately need.

If anyone you know every wants to watch The Still Life, be a good friend and get them the mental health help that they desperately need.
Do you wanna see the final page of my big chart?

https://letterboxd.com/theanalyzer/l...etail/page/20/

I've seen competition. So far, the only choice that came close to satisfying my lust for anything but Frankenstein was Manos,

I'm not entirely sure yet, but Going Overboard might just be my first 1/10 rating, which would also make it the worst film I've ever seen. I'm really struggling to name anything I enjoyed about it.

While I hope you all "enjoy" Krampus: The Christmas Devil, I am sorry that you will miss out on the many pleasures of The Still Life, including but not limited to:

* A man punching a hole in a painting, declaring that a new art movement called "deconstructionism" and having the entire art world go totally gaga for him

* A man receiving an intimate sexual act through a hole he has punched in a painting.
I think they call that a Chekhov's Gun.

ROTOR, 1987

"I got your handball game right here pal!"

"Officer Mango, I need you to sit on this!"

In the near future, two scientists (Richard Gesswein and Jayne Smith) must stop an accidentally-activated robot police officer who is on a killing spree. The robot, ROTOR, has become fixated on executing a young woman (Margaret Trigg) who was a passenger in a speeding vehicle.

Very shortly into this film, a room full of officials watch as their new crime-fighting technology is demonstrated . . . it is a metal robot skeleton doing some sort of karate dance.

I must say, this film quickly tripped over into "so bad it's good" territory for me. Especially around the time a character appeared with a mustache and a . . . drawn-on beard? Am I crazy? Did they draw a beard on that man?

Everyone is terrible acting-wise, but I have to say that I kind of enjoyed the boldness of casting Jayne Smith, who is exactly the opposite of a typical female co-star, with her unapologetically bulked up frame. I loved when she turned to her partner and went "You're the brains, I'm just the brawn." I mean, the acting is awful and the writing and the choreography and . . .and . . and . . . yeah. But it was still fun to see someone who doesn't look like they'd normally be given a seat at the action table unless she was a villain whose masculine traits would be used to code her as a monster. (Yes, I did see the end of the movie. You know what I mean.)

I also had to laugh at the boldness of the film referencing its betters, like actually specifically name-dropping The Terminator.

A terrible movie, but a good time.

Infamy: 1/2

I'm not entirely sure yet, but Going Overboard might just be my first 1/10 rating, which would also make it the worst film I've ever seen. I'm really struggling to name anything I enjoyed about it.
Billy . . . Zane . . . booty . . . bump.

I think they call that a Chekhov's Gun.
It truly is a masterclass in third-act payoffs.

Billy . . . Zane . . . booty . . . bump.
He was one of the only people who had charisma and actually seemed into the film, but in general, I don't pay much attention to acting, so he didn't really leave much of an impression on me.

He was one of the only people who had charisma and actually seemed into the film, but in general, I don't pay much attention to acting, so he didn't really leave much of an impression on me.
It's not a movie-saving character/performance, but it easily kept it out of 1/10 territory for me.

It's not a movie-saving character/performance, but it easily kept it out of 1/10 territory for me.
That's fair and all. I just didn't have the same reaction to his character. For the record though, I'm not quite sure if I'll give the film a 1/10 yet (still mulling it over), but I probably won't go above 2/10.

I forgot the opening line.

Going Overboard - (1989)

Directed by Valerie Breiman

Written by Valerie Breiman, Adam Sandler & Scott LaRose

Starring Adam Sandler, Tom Hodges, Burt Young
Scott LaRose & Lisa Collins

Going Overboard is one of those films that famous actors wish didn't exist ala Sylvester Stallone's The Party at Kitty and Stud's. This time it was stand-up comedian Adam Sandler trying to get a career off the ground in a low budget film that seems mostly improvised, set on a ship the filmmakers seem pleased they have access to, and a bevy of Miss Universe Pageant contestants who happened to be travelling from New Orleans to Cancun. The film was called The Unsinkable Shecky Moskowitz and lasted only days in one theater before disappearing unwanted - with good reason. Sandler would go on to improve his resume with smaller roles, but when he hit big with Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore the film would come back to haunt him - this time as Going Overboard.

This is just a terrible movie - it badly needed a screenplay, but all involved seem to have been under the impression that funny things would happen on the voyage, and that ad-libbing it would work. It really doesn't - nobody thought of anything even remotely funny, and the actors simply die onscreen. You can see Sandler racking his brain, and nothing comes - he tries too hard and just seems mostly obnoxious. There are early roles for Billy Zane (who was just about to have his first big success playing the villain in Australian film Dead Calm with Nicole Kidman and Sam Neill) and Billy Bob Thornton along with an appearance from aged U.S. comedian Milton Berle - which adds some interest to the film, but their involvement is particularly limited, and instead we're stuck with Sandler, Tom Hodges (whose career went nowhere) and Scott LaRose playing the Andrew Dice Clay-inspired Dickie Diamond.

Right from the offset we know we're in trouble, for every time I've watched a movie that starts with a character breaking the fourth wall and admitting the film was done on the cheap, it has not ended well. Compounding matters was Sandler referring to the Miss Universe girls as "clean" - as if we're visiting a particularly filthy brothel in a Spanish back-alley. The film is fairly exploitative with them, but to it's credit doesn't include nudity (who knows if they asked the contestants though - who would have been obliged to say "no".) Admitting it's cheap is meant to disarm us, but the film is so bad that it matters little. For some reason, Sandler is saddled with the part of a somewhat bad comedian who wants to steal the limelight from an obnoxious one. There's not much fun to be found with a formula like this.

Time and time again, when an establishing shot is called for, we return to the same clip of a rustbucket anchored close to shore. The other locales aren't really clearly defined, but one of them includes General Manuel Noriega (played by a "really slumming it" Burt Young) who dispatches a pair of painfully unfunny "terrorists" to catch up with the ship and murder 'Miss Australia' who has uttered some disparaging remarks about him on air. She says something along the lines of "I bet he smells like a pizza" - which sounds like something desperately thought up at the last minute. Most of the material in this film has that aura of over-pressured improv that's not working, and nowhere near funny. The word "bitch" is bandied about a lot, and many of the men on this ship are slovenly and engage the girls with extended French kisses with visible tongues - which I guess must have felt like it would get a laugh.

When Milton Berle appears to give Shecky some comedic advice, he comes out with the dustiest, most dated and painfully old comedy you could possibly imagine, and instead of engaging the audience with some decent funny moments the film just becomes painfully sad. Lisa Collins, who plays Miss Australia, married Billy Zane the same year this came out - but unfortunately she somehow manages to mess up the words of the Australian national anthem. Not on purpose for comedic effect, but only in a way an Australian would pick up on (perhaps she was surreptitiously pleading with us for help,) and I do believe she was a rare specimen who couldn't even get that right. She was obviously told to accentuate her Australian accent to such a degree that this Australian couldn't believe how Australian she sounded. "Aw bugger me strewth, the bloody vegemite's all over me tucker bag..." Along with Zane, she would snag a very small part in Dead Calm.

Aside from 'Slap Your Cat', which is an in-movie song performed by "Yellow Teeth" there are some decent tunes on the soundtrack, but by decent I don't mean they were award-worthy by any stretch of the imagination. Sandler himself sings a rendition of 'You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet' and 'Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)' - as to whether that was to save money or just personal hubris I know not. The cinematography from Ron Jacobs is wretched, and after only one other film he soon changed career-paths and is credited in many films as working for their "Transportation department". The film was a first ever assignment for editor Randy D. Wiles, and while Manos : The Hands of Fate shows us what a film would be like with a complete non-professional, you get the sense there were a few more cooks in the kitchen. The film runs for an absolutely painful 97 minutes. With so much dead weight, that particular fact is just silly.

Adam Sandler has been at the forefront of many bad projects, and has a film which is generally regarded as one of the worst ever made by professionals - but here is a film with just as much ignominy, and he'd be right to feel humiliated by it's release. The director is Valerie Breiman (who also shares a screenwriting credit) - and I don't know what her story is. She seems to have made a similarly bad comedic romp after this, and much later a couple of middling dramas - all around 10 years apart, as if she's the Stanley Kubrick of bad movies. Aside from that there's not much to say except much of the film makes no sense (how about that toilet door being jammed by nothing?) and the many attempts at humour are at times just desperately-pulled funny faces - which aren't really all that funny. It's a desperate and tragic movie, and a perfect example of why a comedy should always at least base itself off some kind of screenplay. Some great stuff can come from ad-libbing - but you can't ad-lib an entire movie.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

(how about that toilet door being jammed by nothing?)
I expected it to be revealed that he was just trying to open the door the wrong way the entire time (like a push door instead of a pull, or it slid sideways or something), and that at the end someone would open it really easily. But no, that might have been mildly amusing, so of course the film didn't do that haha.

So yeah, decided not to go with a 1/10 after all.

Going Overboard (1989) -

I might as well briefly explain what I enjoyed about the film to get it out of the way. For one, I enjoyed the two terrorists who were sent to board the ship as they seemed to be having a lot of fun. Also, I'm generally a sucker for dreams, hallucinations, and other scenes which occur in a character's head and, while those scenes weren't great per se, I enjoyed a couple shots in them, like the overhead shot of Sandler in a straight jacket and the darkness surrounding the boxing ring. Finally, I suppose it was cool how the frame narrative was occurring at the same time as the seemingly present day cruise ship scenes. That's about all I can say about this film though as I disliked just about everything else. Bad comedy films usually have a few jokes here and there which I find clever, but virtually every single joke in this film missed the mark for me and made little to no sense. The few jokes which did make sense weren't particularly clever and were below average or competent at best. Given the opening scene, the film is clearly aware that it's a bad comedy film, but this scene actually does the film more harm than good. We're clearly asked to root for Shecky, but since his jokes are just as bad as Dickie's, it makes it hard to care about his outcome. In addition, virtually every single actor in this film (Adam Sandler, included) lacked charisma, minus the aforementioned two terrorists. I would've been fine if everyone gave hammy, over-the-top performances as this might've gotten a few laughs out of me, but virtually everyone here didn't seem to be having any fun, nor did they appear to be into the film. Finally, with the exception of a few shots I mentioned up above, the camerawork wasn't that good either. The (unintentional?) Dutch angles looked godawful, some of the camera angles were so poor it was difficult to follow scenes of characters simply moving around, and the chase scene at the end was overlong and humdrum (Sandler changing his shirt in the middle of it was nice though). So yeah, just a really awful movie which is a strong contender for the worst film I've ever seen.

Next Up: Krampus: The Christmas Devil

So I just finished smelling, uh I mean watching, American Flatulators (1995). This is a really stupid and juvenile "film". That being said, I must confess I did laugh and groan (and possibly fart) more than once. Some of the puns were somewhat clever and some of the fake commercials showed some degree of creativity. The performances were intentionally ridiculous and silly and it seemed like the actors were commuted to the bit and were having fun. There are too many fart jokes in the film and it starts to run out of gas before reaching the end. The film bottoms out after a while, butt it might have worked better as a short film. I don't mean to be a bum, but this film stinks, although I have seen worse.