In the mood for love

→ in
Tools    

Discussion of the ending . . .

WARNING: "Discussion of ending" spoilers below
I saw no indication in the film that Mrs. Chan's son was by Mr. Chow. He never even kissed her and there weren't any hints (that I saw) of a sexual relationship. He admitted to her that he loved her but the she did not say that she loved him. But I am sure that she did love him. But then again, there seemed to be the very slightest (knowing?) smile on Mr. Chow's face when told near the end of the film that the new neighbors were a mother and small son -- a smile indicating that he knew who the neighbor was maybe? But was the smile also that he knew the child was his? Was this his secret that he left in the hole at Angkor Wat? Regardless, it is a beautiful film. Wong Kar-Wai seems to want us to derive our own conclusions.

WARNING: "criterion version" spoilers below
In the deleted scenes section on the Criterion version of this film; there are two interesting scenes that were dropped from the final cut. In one, they consummate their relationship in the hotel room, so the child at end may be his. And in the other deleted scene, hilariously he is impotent and unable perform, so they celebrate their chaste friendship and take pride they aren’t at all like their randy spouses.

Also I have to add, Maggie Cheung’s husband in the film is a real hound dog. When Tony Leung’s wife in the film tells him Maggie may suspect something and they should cool it down for a while, he immediately dumps her and moves on. She is the woman seen crying in the shower. Ironic, that Maggie and Tony are obsessing about a torrid love affair that may have ended weeks or months ago.

WARNING: "criterion version" spoilers below
In the deleted scenes section on the Criterion version of this film; there are two interesting scenes that were dropped from the final cut. In one, they consummate their relationship in the hotel room, so the child at end may be his. And in the other deleted scene, hilariously he is impotent and unable perform, so they celebrate their chaste friendship and take pride they aren’t at all like their randy spouses.

Also I have to add, Maggie Cheung’s husband in the film is a real hound dog. When Tony Leung’s wife in the film tells him Maggie may suspect something and they should cool it down for a while, he immediately dumps her and moves on. She is the woman seen crying in the shower. Ironic, that Maggie and Tony are obsessing about a torrid love affair that may have ended weeks or months ago.
Thanks. I just received this Crirterion Blu-Ray today. I am anxious to give it a watch.

I have this recorded from the TCM channel and it's in a 4x3 aspect ration (pan & scan) -- really CRAP! It wasn't till I watched the Criterion Blu-Ray with the correct wide-screen aspect ration hat I realized what I was missing. This is disappointing for TCM -- they're usually better than that . . . .