A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I hated it for sure. Has left an awful aftertaste, and how does it even belong in a thread on horror anyway?
It is a horror movie, so I posted about it in the horror thread.

Okay, so looking at the threads that are getting traction right now is making me want to walk into the sea, and I've finished the 2021 Film Challenge and the Twilight Zone HoF and my brain therefore doesn't have anything movie-related to latch onto.

So . . . . recommend me a horror film and I will watch it and talk to you about it, and possibly criticize your taste in film!

Only dealbreaker right now is no animal cruelty and since I'm a cheapskate, things I can find on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Shudder, or Criterion, (or YouTube *cough*) please! (I also have access to Kanopy and Hoopla via my library and I have Tubi and the free Vudu).

EDIT:
The Deadly Spawn
Manor

Okay, so looking at the threads that are getting traction right now is making me want to walk into the sea, and I've finished the 2021 Film Challenge and the Twilight Zone HoF and my brain therefore doesn't have anything movie-related to latch onto.

So . . . . recommend me a horror film and I will watch it and talk to you about it, and possibly criticize your taste in film!

Only dealbreaker right now is no animal cruelty and since I'm a cheapskate, things I can find on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Shudder, or Criterion, (or YouTube *cough*) please! (I also have access to Kanopy and Hoopla via my library and I have Tubi and the free Vudu).

Watch the Manor on Prime and tell me if it should cause the existential dread that I experienced finding out it existed having finished that script (the Lonely), which seemingly has an identical set up.

Watch Blood and Lace on Prime and join me in being aghast at the ending.

I second this if she rejects me asking her to be brave for me.

I've seen it! And the ending is . . . . something. I gave it a 6/10. I watched it thinking it was Blood and Black Lace and really did not know how to reconcile what I was seeing with all the praise I'd heard!

Victim of The Night
Having now seen Last Night in Soho (which disappointingly does not have a theme song to the tune of "One Night in Bangkok"), I can guarantee that Crumbsroom will hate it. Baby Driver at least knew it was bull**** and the hollowness of the style could be enjoyed as an end unto itself. This one is awkwardly trying to make a point, so the overly studied style is more of a liability, as is the fact that it's nowhere mean enough to really channel its inspirations. Might be my least favourite thing Wright has done, although it has a substantially better lead performance than Scott Pilgrim.
Aw. I liked it quite a bit.

Victim of The Night
In fact, I was going to post (and probably still am) in the Recently Seen thread that I saw Dune in the theater on the big screen and Last Night In Soho at someone's house on the TV yesterday, and I sincerely wish I could have reversed that.

I've seen it! And the ending is . . . . something. I gave it a 6/10. I watched it thinking it was Blood and Black Lace and really did not know how to reconcile what I was seeing with all the praise I'd heard!
If it helps, I found I gelled to it a lot more on a rewatch, once I could acclimate to its rhythms (which are slower than its successors). My first viewing was marred by a terrible transfer though, so it was inevitable I would enjoy it more once I saw it on a nice copy.

If it helps, I found I gelled to it a lot more on a rewatch, once I could acclimate to its rhythms (which are slower than its successors). My first viewing was marred by a terrible transfer though, so it was inevitable I would enjoy it more once I saw it on a nice copy.
I mean, I spent the first 25-30 minutes going "This is the . . . well-regarded gaillo everyone loves?" before realizing I was watching a different film than what I thought I was getting into.

I could see my opinion going up on a rewatch, if only because I'll have an appreciation for something that is outlandish as opposed to stylish, if that makes sense.

I mean, I spent the first 25-30 minutes going "This is the . . . well-regarded gaillo everyone loves?" before realizing I was watching a different film than what I thought I was getting into.

I could see my opinion going up on a rewatch, if only because I'll have an appreciation for something that is outlandish as opposed to stylish, if that makes sense.
You have since corrected this and watched Bava's masterpiece, right? If not, that supercedes all my recommendations.

Yes! I rated it a
Excellent! Shudder has a few of his films. I'd recommend:

Kill Baby Kill
Black Sabbath
Lisa and the Devil
Black Sunday
The Whip and the Body
Bay of Blood
Evil Eye
Shock

In that order of preference.

Excellent! Shudder has a few of his films. I'd recommend:

Lisa and the Devil
The Whip and the Body
Evil Eye
Shock

In that order of preference.
These are the ones I haven't seen.

It was easily my least favorite Wright film until I watched half of his Sparks doc.

Man, Sparks feels like an unfunny comedy skit that's taken on a life of its own.

The Sparks documentary is great. And they are hilarious.

Lol, I just realized I misread your post. I was talking about the Bava as well.

Lol, I just realized I misread your post. I was talking about the Bava as well.
Ha! So you're not trying to encourage me to love the hand-chopping scene?

I will say that I am notoriously terrible with titles (thinking I haven't seen things that I have, seen and vice versa), but I feel like Blood and Lace and Blood and Black Lace are perilously close even for someone who doesn't normally struggle.