Faux Writer's Top 100 Favorite Movies: Part Deaux

→ in
Tools    

WELCOME!!!

I finally got around to completing my second top 100, and now it's time to start the countdown! I had a lot of fun with the first one I did back when I first joined here, and I hope you all will join me and make this one just as good!

This one was a lot harder than the first one--mainly because my top ten hasn't really changed at all since the last one, so I ultimately decided that instead of just repeating them, I will put them into my own personal "Hall of Fave" and retiring them, thereby guaranteeing a brand new top 10!

Faux Writer's Hall of Fave Class of 2015:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Killer
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club
Full Metal Jacket
Office Space
An American Werewolf in London
Silent Hill
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Which ten movies will enter the class of 2018? Stick around to find out!

This countdown will go much like my last one, I'll post 3 to 4 a day everyday until we get to the last 10, then I'll start posting 2 at a time. There will be quite a few entries from the first list making a return, but there are also many new favorites entering the countdown. I will kick it off with numbers 100-98 momentarily.

Hope you enjoy!!!

We'll start it off with a recent film...

100: Your Name (2016): RT Score: 97% IMDB Score: 8.5

2015 List Rank: New Entry

I only first viewed this film a few months ago, and I was skeptical as to rather I would really enjoy it when I read the synopsis. After viewing it though my expectations were blown away. This is a beautiful film in every sense of the word; the animation, the story, and the amazing score by radwimps all come together to create an animated masterpiece.

99. The Thin Red Line (1998) RT Score: 79% IMDB Score: 7.6

2015 List Rank: 61

Even though this film has dropped significantly from my first list, I still found a place for this majestic film by Terrence Malick that shows that there's beauty to be found even in the horrors of World War 2. The jaw-dropping cinematography and narra that Malick films are known for really shines in this one. The all star cast gives a great performance all-around as well!

98. Hardcore Henry (2015) RT Score: 90% IMDB Score: 6.7

2015 Rank: New Entry

As a lover of crazy action films, Hardcore Henry is simply undeniable. The plot may be bare-bones, which would usually be a huge negative for me, but I'm able to forgive that shortcoming when there's insane action sequences coming at me non-stop! Everything from intense shootouts, car chases, parkour or a mix of all of it are captured in a first person perspective that really sets this one apart from other action flicks.

The Thin Red Line is beautiful. Haven't seen the other two.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Thin Red Line is beautiful. Haven't seen the other two.
That it is Yam; thanks for popping in!

I enjoyed Your Name but wasn't blown away by it. Haven't seen the others.
Thanks for posting Vicky! I remember you following my first list a good bit, I hope you'll stick around this time as well!

Day 2...

97. Apocalypse Now (1979): RT Score: 96% IMDB Score: 8.5

2015 List Ranking: 63

Very few films capture such epic scope while at the same time telling such a dark and harrowing tale. Martin Sheen plays troubled Captain Willard who is tasked with finding and terminating Colonel Kurtz (Marlin Brando) who has gone completely mad along the rivers of Cambodia. The journey Willard takes with his small boat crew is one of the most fascinating ever put to film imo.

96. One False Move (1992): RT Score: 98% IMDB Score: 7.2

I didn't discover this film until Bill Paxton's passing. While I was going through his filmography I was immediately intrigued when I read about One False Move, not long after that I hunted down this underrated gem and immediately loved it. This is an excellent crime flick with Paxton giving an excellent performance as an Arkansas Sheriff working to find a group of criminals from LA who have ties to his small town.

95: Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991): RT Rating: 93% IMDB Score: 8.5

Just narrowly missing the cut on my first countdown, I couldn't deny T2 a second time! A big film from my childhood that was also one of the first R rated movies I ever saw. T2 is an action masterpiece that proved why Arnold was and probably always will be one of the biggest action stars ever.

I've heard nothing but good things about Your Name, but I've yet to see it. I've only seen The Thin Red Line once and don't have much of a desire to see it again, although it features some stunning sequences and the usual amazing cinematography found in all of Malick's films. I mostly hated Hardcore Henry, but I did eventually find myself slightly invested in it late into the movie. I'll praise its kinetic energy, but the first-person-shooter angle mostly came across like an annoying gimmick to me. It doesn't help that I've never been all that into FPS games anyway outside of Goldeneye 64 and a few others.

Apocalypse Now is a top-five favorite for me. Shame to see it plummet so many spots on your new list. Like you, I also discovered One False Move after Paxton's death and agree with you that it's a very underrated crime-thriller. Good script, good performances, disturbing violence, and a particularly reprehensible Billy Bob Thornton. T2 might've been the first R-rated movie I ever watched. I remember it watching it as young as 5. I don't know if it'd be a personal favorite had I not grown up with it, but it's still one of the best action movies ever made. Happy to see it crack the list this time.

Looking forward to the rest of the list, False Writer!

I've heard nothing but good things about Your Name, but I've yet to see it. I've only seen The Thin Red Line once and don't have much of a desire to see it again, although it feature some stunning sequences and the usual amazing cinematography found in all of Malick's films. I mostly hated Hardcore Henry, but I did eventually find myself slightly invested in it late into the movie. I'll praise its kinetic energy, but the first-person-shooter angle mostly came across like an annoying gimmick to me. It doesn't help that I've never been all that into FPS games anyway outside of Goldeneye 64 and a few others.

Apocalypse Now is a top-five favorite for me. Shame to see it plummet so many spots on your new list. Like you, I also discovered One False Move after Paxton's death and agree with you that it's a very underrated crime-thriller. Good script, good performances, disturbing violence, and a particularly reprehensible Billy Bob Thornton. T2 might've been the first R-rated movie I ever watched. I remember it watching it as young as 5. I don't know if it'd be a personal favorite had I not grown up with it, but it's still one of the best action movies ever made. Happy to see it crack the list this time.

Looking forward to the rest of the list, False Writer!
Thanks Captain Spaulding! Always love hearing your opinion.

Dang, before I even realized it I've fallen behind on this, need to get back on track!

I meant to comment on this earlier - I haven't seen Apocalypse Now and have no intention of watching it and I don't think I've even heard of One False Move.

I loved Terminator 2 when I was a kid, but I rewatched it not long ago and, while I still enjoyed it, I didn't think it had aged very well at all.

94. Casablanca (1942) RT Score: 97% IMDB Score: 8.5

2015 List Rank: 82

One of the most quotable and brilliant films to ever be made. It's amazing whenever you watch a film made so long ago and it feels like it holds up so well so many decades later--makes you wonder how blown away the people sitting in the theaters in 1942 must've been watching this!

93. Beauty and the Beast (1991) RT Score: 94% IMDB Score: 8

Like so many, this was one of many Disney films I watch when I was but a wee lad. When the live-action Beauty and the Beast came out it made me think about the original animated one. I watched it soon after and completely forgot just how great it was, some of the best and most masterful music, animation, and characters from Disney's amazing Renaissance Era.

92. Shotgun Stories (2007) RT Score: 89% IMDB Score: 7.3

This low-budget yet exceptionally made debut from Jeff Nichols depicts a feud between two sets of half-brothers that escalates and erupts into violence. I was immediately drawn in to the unique plot and loved Nichols directing and storytelling. While I feel that One False Move is an underrated 90s thriller, I feel much the same about Shotgun Stories in that it's an underrated 2000s thriller.

I don't think I've ever heard of Shotgun Stories.

I think Casablanca is a solid movie and I've seen it a couple of times, but it's not a favorite. I love animated films and I think Disney often does a stellar job of them, but I just never could get into Beauty and the Beast. Even as a child I didn't care for it much.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Day 2...

96. One False Move (1992): RT Score: 98% IMDB Score: 7.2

I didn't discover this film until Bill Paxton's passing. While I was going through his filmography I was immediately intrigued when I read about One False Move, not long after that I hunted down this underrated gem and immediately loved it. This is an excellent crime flick with Paxton giving an excellent performance as an Arkansas Sheriff working to find a group of criminals from LA who have ties to his small town.
I've never heard of One False Move, but it sounds interesting and I like Bill Paxton, so I added it to my watchlist.

95: Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991): RT Rating: 93% IMDB Score: 8.5

Just narrowly missing the cut on my first countdown, I couldn't deny T2 a second time! A big film from my childhood that was also one of the first R rated movies I ever saw. T2 is an action masterpiece that proved why Arnold was and probably always will be one of the biggest action stars ever.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day is my favorite of the Terminator movies. It's one of those guilty pleasure movies that I usually end up watching whenever I'm flipping channels and I find it on TV.

94. Casablanca (1942) RT Score: 97% IMDB Score: 8.5

2015 List Rank: 82

One of the most quotable and brilliant films to ever be made. It's amazing whenever you watch a film made so long ago and it feels like it holds up so well so many decades later--makes you wonder how blown away the people sitting in the theaters in 1942 must've been watching this!
I like Casablanca, but I don't love it as much as most people do. I've always felt that it's a little bit overrated. I've watched it several times just to try to figure out what other people see in it that I seem to be missing.

93. Beauty and the Beast (1991) RT Score: 94% IMDB Score: 8

Like so many, this was one of many Disney films I watch when I was but a wee lad. When the live-action Beauty and the Beast came out it made me think about the original animated one. I watched it soon after and completely forgot just how great it was, some of the best and most masterful music, animation, and characters from Disney's amazing Renaissance Era.
I love Disney's Beauty and the Beast. It's one of those movies that just seems to get better each time I watch it.

I've never heard of One False Move, but it sounds interesting and I like Bill Paxton, so I added it to my watchlist.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is my favorite of the Terminator movies. It's one of those guilty pleasure movies that I usually end up watching whenever I'm flipping channels and I find it on TV.

I like Casablanca, but I don't love it as much as most people do. I've always felt that it's a little bit overrated. I've watched it several times just to try to figure out what other people see in it that I seem to be missing.

I love Disney's Beauty and the Beast. It's one of those movies that just seems to get better each time I watch it.
Thanks for popping in GB! I'd love to hear your thoughts on One False Move when you get around to it.

Thanks for popping in GB! I'd love to hear your thoughts on One False Move when you get around to it.

It will probably be a while before I get to it because I'm currently watching movies for the upcoming Directed By Women countdown and the 1930's countdown, but I'll post my thoughts about the movie after I watch it.

91. Stalker (1979) RT Score: 100% IMDB Score: 8.2

At long last I got around to seeing this much-appreciated film. What I most often heard about Stalker was that it was one of the most "slowest" movies you'll ever see, so I prepared accordingly, when I finally sat down and watched it I was hooked. The quest to find "The Room", the mystery of The Zone, and the philosophical banter between the three characters are what drew me in the most.

90. Logan (2017) RT Score: 93% IMDB Score: 8.1

I am actually not the biggest fan of super hero films... I mean sure I think most of them are fun to watch and there's not many that I think are "bad" but at the same time I'm just not crazy about them like so many other people are. Heck, I'm not even a fan of the X-Men film series apart from maybe the original one from 2000. However, when I first saw the trailer for Logan I just knew it was a movie that I was gonna love. A dark and serious vibe with no overabundance of CGI, also none of the forced humor that tries to make you laugh every minute and a half. It's just a gritty, no holds barred take on an iconic hero that knows he is nearing the end of the road.

89. Interview with the Vampire (1994) RT Score: 61% IMDB Score: 7.6

2015 List Ranking: New Entry

I'm not sure if it's just me, but seeing Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt as aristocratic vampires going around New Orleans drinking the blood of prostitutes and rats is just so dang fun! Many critics say that the casting was off but I couldn't disagree more, I thought the cast was excellent, particularly Tom Cruise as Lestat. It's a star-studded, atmospheric gothic thriller that I think ranks among the best vampire movies.

I haven't watched Interview with the Vampire in ages, but it used to be one of my favorite movies. I really ought to revisit it.

Haven't seen the other two.

90. Logan (2017) RT Score: 93% IMDB Score: 8.1

I am actually not the biggest fan of super hero films... I mean sure I think most of them are fun to watch and there's not many that I think are "bad" but at the same time I'm just not crazy about them like so many other people are. Heck, I'm not even a fan of the X-Men film series apart from maybe the original one from 2000. However, when I first saw the trailer for Logan I just knew it was a movie that I was gonna love. A dark and serious vibe with no overabundance of CGI, also none of the forced humor that tries to make you laugh every minute and a half. It's just a gritty, no holds barred take on an iconic hero that knows he is nearing the end of the road.

Logan is one of the few 2017 movies that I've seen, and I liked it a lot. I'm usually hit or miss on the superhero movies, but I liked most of the Marvel movies more than the DC movies, and I liked all of the previous X-Men movies, so I had high hopes for it, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be too violent for me. It's a bit too violent for my tastes, but it's not just violence for the sake of being violent, so it works well in the movie, and it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I thought it was one of the best superhero films, so when I can find the time, I'm looking forward to watching the Noir version of the movie on the Blu-Ray disc.