The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
WALL-E is a fantastic film, but suffers from a first half that is monstrously superior to its second half. There's very little that I find exceptional when they reach space and the intimacy of the primary narrative is lost.

I didn't vote for Wall-E but I thought it was pretty good.

I had The Lion King at #15. I'm a sucker for animals in distress movies.

That'll be it for me.

My list-

1. Ratatouille*
3. Rango
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. Persepolis
6. Grave of the Fireflies
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
12. The Incredibles
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
15. The Lion King
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I didn't vote for Wall-E but I thought it was pretty good.

I had The Lion King at #15. I'm a sucker for animals in distress movies.

That'll be it for me.
What was your number two then?

So much better than Up. Stupid balloons.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I though it might have been, it seems like your kind of movie, especially as you had the first at #4, quite a bit darker than the first I thought.
Yea I think it missed just because it's so new.

WALL-E was my #6

05. Dumbo (1941) - 49th
06. WALL-E (2008) - 4th
07. Coraline (2009) - 36th
08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
09. The Lion King (1994) - 5th
11. Aladdin (1992) - 15th
12. Monsters Inc. (2001) - 7th
13. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937) - 31st
14. Shrek (2001) - 21st
15. Finding Nemo (2003) - 6th
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th
18. The Iron Giant (1999) - 22nd
20. Fantasia (1940) - 20th
21. A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 47th
22. Akira (1988) - 29th

I didn't have Wall•E on my list simply because of the fact that I have only watched it once, and since I knew it was gonna make it high on the list, I made space for other films...

But I really loved it the first time around and I'll probably watch it again very soon.

I pretty much revealed my whole list already, so I'll just post the full version:

1. Spirited Away (2001) #1?
2. Millennium Actress (2001) #67
3. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) #13
4. Toy Story 3 (2010) #10
5. Pinocchio (1940) #24
6. Sleeping Beauty (1959) #54
7. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) #17
8. Rango (2011) #34
9. The Sword in the Stone (1963)
10. Idiots and Angels (2008)
11. The Lion King (1994) #5
12. 101 Dalmatians (1961) #87
13. My Neighbor Totoro (1988) #18
14. The Jungle Book (1967) #59
15. From Up On Poppy Hill (2011) #105
16. Lady and the Tramp (1955) #79
17. The Incredibles (2004) #11
18. Porco Rosso (1992) #43
19. L’Illusioniste (2010) #60
20. The Wind Rises (2013) #84
21. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
22. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) #14
23. Waking Life (2001) #41
24. Paprika (2006) #86
25. Only Yesterday (1991)

That makes 20/25 overall. I expected 23/25, so I'm not entirely satisfied with the result.

I only made that remark so I could post this gif.

I mixed some childhood favorites with films I discovered more recently and liked/appreciated a lot. I still haven't seen a few very popular/important animated films, so there's still room for change, but I'm already pretty happy with the list as it is now.

Feel free to comment on my choices. I'll gladly defend each one of them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love WALL-E, and while I'm glad to see it placed this high on the list, I was hoping for it to be even higher. It was my #1 movie, and it's in my favorites list in my profile too.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Almost there. Here is my full list, minus the three still to be revealed:

My list so far**OLOR Its Place in the Countdown

1. Fantasia 20
2. Ratatouille 8
3. Persepolis 28
4. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit-Wallace and Grommit *
6. Wall-E 4
7. Bambi**50
8. Rejected (Left on my list by accident)
9. Grave of the Fireflies 13
10. Le Planete Sauvage
12 The Secret of Kells
13. 9
14. Toy Story 3 10
15. Princess Mononoke 9
16. Coraline**36
17. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 31
18. J.R.R.Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
19. Monster's Inc 7
20. Corpse Bride *69
21. Ice Age
**Missed the Cut
22. Shrek 21
23. Alice in Wonderland**33
24. Pinocchio 24
25. The Last Unicorn

19/25 made the list

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I still love Wall-E (and Presto and Persepolis too) but when I was whittlin' down my list, they all fell to the ground. I have the Top 3 remaining on my list somewhere.

Presto (Doug Sweetland, 2008)

This five-minute short which plays before WALL·E is just about perfect. That's all I'll say, except that I'm probably underrating it.

WALL·E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)

Since there have been so many WALL·E reviews around the site, I'm not sure that there are reasons for me to recount the plot, so I'll be brief. I'm pretty sure that most people realize that it takes place in the year 2815 and begins on Earth where the only things which seem to be "alive" are a small robot who tries to clean up the trash and an especially-resilient cockroach-type creature. All the humans left the planet 700 years earlier on a huge spaceship which was designed by the mega corporation/world government called Buy and Large, with the intention of only being away for about five years. There were apparently millions of WALL·Es left behind, but now there seems to be one, and shortly after the film begins, he finds green plant life growing in the soil.

Soon a spaceship appears and leaves a probe behind to search for signs of life. This probe is called EVE, and it is like nothing WALL·E has ever seen before. In fact, although WALL·E (ostensibly playing a male) is frightened by EVE's seemingly violent nature and firepower, he finds himself attracted to her as a companion along the lines of the ones he sees in the film version of Hello, Dolly! which he watches repeatedly. Eventually, both machines find themselves on the huge spaceship where the descendents of the humans who left 700 years earlier live blissfully unaware of their history or potential. OK, that wasn't as brief as I intended.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It creates a barren, grimy Earth, a beautifully inviting Solar System and a unique vision of human life on a spaceship far in the future. It succeeds on all levels of storytelling for me. I especially loved the homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Thomas Newman's magical musical score is one of the two best I've heard this year, along with Carter Burwell's terrific In Bruges score. I'm also happy about who they used as the voice of the ship's computer. I can believe that some people may find it to be a kiddie movie, but I think it's far too romantic and thought-provoking to relegate it to that realm. I also didn't find myself being swamped by the film's message of conservation vs. consumerism as many others have. I thought the film's overriding message was one of humanity, and if it takes some non-human "creatures" to help us rediscover our lost humanity, that's OK with me. I don't find WALL·E to be a political film along the lines of Persepolis; that's for sure.

Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi & Vincent Paronnaud, 2007)

This captivating French animation wonder, based on Satrapi's semi-autobiographical graphic novels, is a sharp combination of Iranian history, political awareness, a coming-of-age story, love of family, and some intriguing animation techniques. It tells the story, in flashbacks, of Marjane's life in Iran under both the Shah and the fundamentalist "Islamic Republic" and during the Iraq-Iran War, as well as her times spent in Europe where she always felt to be a fish out of water. Whether you're aware of Iran's history during the last 80 or so years or not, this is a fascinating perspective, but it's much more alive and humorous than any history lesson could be.

One thing which is totally unique, at least to me, about Persepolis is that it's a mostly 2-D animated piece of art which is heavily inspired by film noir. Most of the film is in black and white, with major use of shadows. Although it is full of funny moments concerning family and growing up, there is a threat of danger and violence during each step the film takes. The film also uses a surrealistic approach occasionally, especially during scenes involving drugs and the Kafkaesque nightmare in which women and non-fundamentalists find themselves in the Iran of the later 20th century.

Before I make the film sound too much of a downer, I need to add that I laughed out loud several times. Many of these involved Marjane's unlucky attempts to find a boyfriend. Her grandmother is also a foul-mouthed lady who teaches her about integrity, but she and Marjane both swear quite a bit, and it actually is very funny to hear them say things you couldn't really imagine. (Don't get too worried though; sure, it's an adult-themed film, but it's only rated PG-13.) There are also many touching moments involving Marjane's family, often because the family has always been Marxist and therefore, they've always had family members in jail or killed. Not that you need me to explain this, but in general, everyone, regardless of their politics or religion, is a human being. It's just that sometimes people act much more inhuman than they realize. This film shows things in a realistic light in my mind, and so it's nice to remember that people throughout the world share more similarities than they do differences. Oh yeah, did I mention that the animation techniques and the music are groovy? I especially liked Marjane's crazy interpretation of "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.

Wall-E is a very good film and probably would've made my list if I had watched it in time.

Lion King made my list somewhere, longtime favorite.