Mel Gibson to direct remake of "The Wild Bunch"

Tools    

Well, for me there's no way it will be better than the Peckinpah classic but I might be interested because I think Gibson is a fine director. I'm interested in @Holden Pike and what he has to say about this, but I think I can guess.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...D=ansmsnnews11

I'm loving the resurgence of Mel Gibson as one of Hollywood's top dogs. He's truly one of my favorite actors and directors.

Even though I'm not a big fan of remakes, I am excited to see this. I'm anticipating an all-star cast. Maybe my man Stallone can have a part in this? Mel is close friends with Sly so I hope it happens.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Welcome to the human race...
This is a big "hell no" from me. Hollywood doesn't need to keep validating Gibson with chance after chance like this, and in light of recent events the prospect of him remaking a movie where the extremely broad subtext amounts to some old guys missing the old days and sticking up for each other no matter what in the face of an ever-changing world that just doesn't want them around anymore seems...ill-advised

I guess my upbringing helped i. Forgiving. I like Gibson, too. And it's about some old bad asses shaking things up a little, that sounds ok to me. Education never ends..for anyone.

There's a difference between forgiving him and showering him with millions of dollars and awards, praise, etc. Plus it's not like it was one incident, there's been numerous. Initially it was years before the antisemitism with blatant violent sounding homophobia on an Australian radio show i believe, then the antisemitism, then "raped by a pack of N*****" to his ex and mother of his child, then domestic violence charges. Maybe he's just a bad person who doesn't deserve forgiveness or at least not a restoration of his fame and power who should go away.

Welcome to the human race...
Even leaving all that personal baggage aside, it's hard to imagine Gibson actually doing anything distinctive or worthwhile with the material that'd justify its existence.

Even leaving all that personal baggage aside, it's hard to imagine Gibson actually doing anything distinctive or worthwhile with the material that'd justify its existence.
As a visionary and filmmaker, Mel is incredible. I'm sure the remake will look and sound amazing. As for the plot, I believe it might be different from the original. We'll see.

This might just do nobody any good.
Probably just a documentation of the guy’s own psychosis.

If you’re into that...

I work with 90 percent black people. I asked two different people today about Gibsons past comments. Guess what?

They still either like or love him.

As far as showering him with money.

He makes the studios money.

Time to move on, is my opinion.

I work with 90 percent black people. I asked two different people today about Gibsons past comments. Guess what?

Oh wow, that must mean his behaviour is okay because two people in your anecdote is okay with it, thanks for setting me straight.

Agreed, move on shouldn't mean give him millions of dollars and awards and just completely accept his awful behaviour though. When is enough enough here? Seriously? He's been racist, homophobic, antisemitic, both physically and verbally abusive to women. Across decades not all in one incident. All he hasn't done is rape or murder, is that the only point when we should stop celebrating someone? I'm not saying anyone should give any thought to him at all but maybe he shouldn't be celebrated after demonstrating a consistent pattern of abuse.

He shouldn't have even apologized (after loads of different incidents), he should've just said "I hate blacks, gays, jews and beat women yes, and?", not as if most would care any more than they do now.

As far as showering him with money.

He makes the studios money.

The man is not perfect, that's for sure. But I don't judge him based on what he's been through in his personal life. Professionally, the man is a genius filmmaker and a prolific and highly charismatic actor.

Think of it this way, I still love watching Kevin Spacey movies in spite of the troubles he was involved in, and still believe him to be one of the most incredible actors of our time.

I won't boycott Woody Allen's movies based on his very questionable personal life and I sure in the hell won't boycott Mel Gibson. I always liked him as an actor and have liked him as a director too.
Screw PC. Judge movies for themselves.

I won't boycott Woody Allen's movies based on his very questionable personal life and I sure in the hell won't boycott Mel Gibson. I always liked him as an actor and have liked him as a director too.
I totally agree with you, CR!

Are you telling me saying someone who has showed a continuous pattern of awful behaviour including beating his ex while she was holding their child, shouldn't be continually restored to positions of power is being PC? Are you kidding me? It's amazing how you make your comment sound like you're taking some brave stand by continuing to support a megarich old powerful white, racist, homophobic, antisemitic, woman beater. How big of you and everyone that repped your post.

The argument is about whether you can or should separate someone's personal behavior from their work.

Even though I mostly take the position that you can't and shouldn't, I don't think that's an easy question with an obvious answer.

I don't think it's matter of trying to be "big" about something.

Take my father, for example. He was an abusive, womanizing pig when he was on the bottle.

Now that he's turned it around, what? Can't be my dad anymore??

I think "acting big" is when you try to put a lock on someone, as if theyre damned for eternity for their wrong doings.

I'm still waiting for the day they decide to remake The Godfather. It's not an "if" at this point but a "when".