Too Much Sleep

→ in
Tools    

i just saw this indie flick last night, and i'm hoping someone else out there has picked up on it, because i've been trying to get my head around it.

it's about this twenty-something slacker who gets distracted by a girl on a bus, loses his gun, then tries to get it back with the help of a local italian-american guru-type character. it takes place in suburbia - looks like new jersey - and, while not the most exciting place on earth, comes across in the film as a sleepy, dreamy landscape of houses and strip malls, filled with some bizarre characters.

the direction and pace of the film took me a few minutes to get into, but had me strangely mesmerized. as a comedy, the sense of humor was pretty subtle for the most part, and has had me mulling over and reliving some of the jokes and moments like i've done after watching the coen brothers' "big lebowski" or their more recent "o brother, where art thou?" the lead character delves into a strange underworld of suburban culture, and each character he encounters is truly bizarre, but is presented in such a way that it takes a moment of reflection and focus to really appreciate it. for that reason alone, i enjoyed the film more than most comedies i've seen recently.

overall, i found this picture funny and also pretty tender and profound. the italian-american mobster/guru character, for instance, was infectiously funny, but also threw in the occasional, earnest life philosophy like "there's joy and there's pain, and you've just got to hope that it all balances out in the end."

so, too much sleep delivered a lot of what i like to see - which is subtle, ironic humor that's a little more complex and aware than the average hollywood film, and it trusts the audience to pick up on the oddities portrayed in this slice of bizarre american culture.

i'd like to hear what anyone else thinks.

MovieForums Extra
Haven't seen the movie yet, unfortunately! It could be because we get movies in Oz at least three months after you guys!!

MovieForums Extra
P.S. There's no such thing as too much sleep! I can never get enough of it!!

I agree Zephrus, sleep, there's nothing like it.

This movie sounds interesting.