You Can Count on Me

→ in
Tools    

Any thoughts on the new film "You can Count on Me" starring Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo? It's getting major oscar buzz. I thought it was a great film about family--when do you see movies about siblings anymore, especially brother/sister? If you haven't seen it, you should!

I have a simple request to ask of all of you: Some way, or some how, get ahold of this movie. Be enraptured, blown away, and overcome with happy tears as I was. Come to this thread, and say what you thought of the movie.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'll rent it this weekend. I'm not sure I'll cry though. Everything seems to make you cry!

Yeah, Steve, you sure have an effeminate style of watching films (or at least an Ebertesque way of describing your emotions while viewing them).

But, I love this movie! I am dying to own it on DVD. (Come, check, come!!) The film is a classically solid and beautifully touching film about the relationship between Laura Linney, now a single mother, and her brother Mark Ruffalo - several years after they were orphaned by their accident-victim parents. It's about coping and dealing with the blows life gives us, and how differently we handle them. Director Kenneth Lonergan (who wrote a similarly poignant play entitled THIS IS OUR YOUTH) gives the characters stunning depth and form and the actors run with it. It's absolutely a fantastic little tale, start to finish.

Whatevs, what can I say? I like to watch movies that make me cry.

I watched this last night. Uhm.. sorry to say this but I didn't get teary eyed. Even at the part where I was supposed to. It was well written and acted but it was missing something. I don't know what. I thought about it this morning and I think it didn't have enough emotions. It wasn't a roller coaster ride. All the acting was great but I didn't believe the kid liked the brother. At first yeah, he would look at him like he was the greatest thing ever but then I don't know. There weren't enough tender bonding moments between me and the characters.

What stunning depth? I mean the girl was wild when she was younger that's it. The brother was a screw up. The boss was having problems with his wife but that's about it depth wise. I would have to give this movie a B- (B minus) The story was good and well written, the acting very insiteful and a very good preformance by Matthew Broderick. Kinda like his role in Election. (One of my favorite movies)

I didn't get the brothers character. Was he supposed to be a misunderstood screw up? Was he not supposed to be a screw up? Are we supposed to be on his side or pity him? The girl seemed pretty normal too.

I think they didn't make the characters flawed enough and they didn't throw in any sad touching moments. It's worth renting tho.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So is this anything worth watching. I have heard you guys praise it..well some of you, but I just wanted to know for sure before I brought it home.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Spud! How did you pass me on posts??
Yeah, it's worth renting. I'm just saying I would give it a B minus not an A+ like Steve and Dillane.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I don't know. I guess I'm tryin to beat PLite to 1000...although he's gonna win I thought I would give it a try.

BTW, why does everyone call me Spud? I mean my name means Speed Racer, but PLite started it and went from there. Oh well, one of my favorite sayings is tator...so I guess it all works out in the end.

cuz Spud Racer sounds funnier. If I had a spud and a potato peeler and some toy car tires I could make a spud racer. It might be kind of fun to play with.

This movie is brilliant! And the characters are deep, especially Laura Linneys character.

She seems to be the only one that has no one to count on except for her brother but that's iffy. She is searching for someone and that's why she has sex with her boss and goes out with that guy. Strike that she is just looking for a good time to get away from the responsibility of having to worry about her brother all of the time. Steve also pointed out that the love affair with the boss mights just be office politics. I disagree because you can tell there is more there than that. And yes even I have to admit that I was emotionally choked (not to crying) at some points.

Huh? I thought she slept with him 'cause she was afraid of marring that other guy. Fear of comitment, last grasp for freedom kinda thing. Didn't she tell the priest that?

Originally posted by sunfrog
"It was well written and acted but it was missing something. I don't know what. I thought about it this morning and I think it didn't have enough emotions. It wasn't a roller coaster ride. "

I think that was what we were supposed to feel-detached from the lead character's emotions. She was so available to everyone, including her married father-to-be boss, but not to herself, the eyes that we were seeing with.

"All the acting was great but I didn't believe the kid liked the brother. At first yeah, he would look at him like he was the greatest thing ever but then I don't know."

Again, I think that's the feeling that Lonergan wanted us to get. Kids don't know from one minute to the next what they like, least of all some nutty uncle who visits infrequently and breaks his promises.

"There weren't enough tender bonding moments between me and the characters."

Me neither, and I didn't miss out on them. I took the movie for what I thought it was meant to be: a dramatic character study, not a tour-de-force.

"What stunning depth? I mean the girl was wild when she was younger that's it. The brother was a screw up. The boss was having problems with his wife but that's about it depth wise. I would have to give this movie a B- (B minus) The story was good and well written, the acting very insiteful "

Here's where I agree with you, sunfrog. Stunning? Nah. Compelling and insightfully acted? Yes. My grade is based on a Laura Linney crush, so I give it an A (loved loved loved her in "Mommie Dearest", one of my favorite movies as a youth.)

"I didn't get the brothers character. Was he supposed to be a misunderstood screw up? Was he not supposed to be a screw up? Are we supposed to be on his side or pity him? The girl seemed pretty normal too."

I saw the brother as the most sane of all the characters, the only one not hiding from something. Really.

"I think they didn't make the characters flawed enough and they didn't throw in any sad touching moments. It's worth renting tho.
This is exactly what I love about foreign and independent films: THE LACK OF SAD TOUCHING MOMENTS!

Your comments got me riled up! I love this forum!

[Edited by buddhagrrrl on 09-27-2001]
You get me slapped with a fine, you argue with the customers and I have to patch everything up, you get us thrown out of a funeral by violating the corpse, and then to top it off, you ruin my relationship. I mean, what's your encore? Do you, like, anally rape my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank?

[green]Originally posted by buddhagrrrl[/green]
I saw the brother as the most sane of all the characters, the only one not hiding from something. Really.
Well, I don't know. I think they were all pretty normal. The brother messed up
[red]SPOILER[/red]
..when he took the boy to the bar. Even tho nothing bad happened, I wouldn't want my son growing up in bars. (If I had a son) And he screwed up again when he took the boy to see his dad without consulting the mom first. So the brother wasn't the wonderful hero. It's hard to describe, but I thought these were just regular people. When the boy says "I could come with you" that was just out of the blue. I didn't get the feeling that they were that close. Then at the park bench when I was supposed to be crying I wasn't. I don't care if he leaves, I didn't bond with him, or her, or the boy. There needed to be some special moment when we bond with both of them. I guess the pool table scene was it. We were supposed to say aww, he let the boy win it, I love him now, but I didn't. I didn't feel emotionally attached to the characters.