Grosse Pointe Blank

→ in
Tools    

I don't know if anybody has started a topic on this movie yet, but I saw it last night and want to review it.

I'm sorry to say this movie was a big disappointment for me. I'd never actually heard of this movie, but I saw it once on the list of someone's favorite movies (not someone here), and it was a person who shared almost the exact same taste in movies as me. I also read some reviews at Epinions.com and heard that it was an indie cult classic, better than the usual Hollywood fare. So you can see why my hopes were up before seeing it.

It turned out to have an okay story but it wasn't believable at all. It's about a hit man who goes to his High School class reunion and meets some old friends, including the girl he stood up on Prom Night. Interspersed with this plot are various subplots. For instance, we see him on jobs killing people, we see him corresponding with other hit men, and we see government agents (NSA) planning to assasinate him. What exactly is the point?

The actors could not carry the film. First of all, the Cusacks were in it, and I was never a big fan of them. John Cusack is alright, but he isn't believable as a ruthless hit man at all. Joan Cusack, on the other hand, is IMO the most annoying actress in the industry (she really hams it up here). I can't STAND her. We also have Dan Aykroyd, in his worst performance yet (that I've seen anyway), and Minnie Driver, who suprisingly gives a better performance than the subpar one she gave in Good Will Hunting.

On other notes, the soundtrack just plain sucks, and the dialogue is literally cringe-inducing. It isn't helped by the fact that there were pointless and inane political references thrown in (e.g. some dialogue between Cusack and his girlfriend's (Driver) dad: "How about you - how have the years been treating you?" "Well you know me Martin - still the same old sell-out, exploiting the oppressed..."). And what was the deal with the killer's union? Why in GOD'S name would they start a union if they worked for themselves? It doesn't make any sense at all. The screenwriter apparently wanted to look clever by throwing in political buzzwords, but the end result just falls flat on its face.

And the ending! Oh god...

SPOILERS for ending

I heard people raving about how the ending was unpredictable and non-Hollywood. But, wait a minute, he got the girl at the end! How was THAT unpredictable? And don't even get me started on his proposal to her during the final shoot-out with the bad guys... Ugh.

END SPOILERS

Okay, so maybe I was a little harsh on the movie. I mean, Volunteers also had a cheesy story, unrealistic dialogue, annoying political references, and subpar acting, and I enjoyed that movie. So I guess this movie is actually enjoyable as long as you go in just expected a "fun" movie that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

I saw Gross Pointe Blank in the theater when it came out, and I thought it was okay. Certainly nothing to write home about, but not terrible.

I happened to see it again on HBO, and I didn't like it nearly as much the second time.

Well sorr--eee I thought it was a take-off on love-that-killer-movies, and I thought it was really funny! In the convenience store when they were blasting away at each other surrounded by stand-up posters of Pulp Fiction. How much more of a CLUE could you ask for! Of course it was ridiculous. It was SUPPOSED to be ridiculous. Killers Union forpetesake!

Love,

Jozie

Geez, I sure got somebody's blood up.

You're right, though, it IS supposed to be ridiculous. Which is exactly what I said in my final paragraph. That's just the thing, though, I know people who take the movie too seriously (ranking it alongside films such as Citizen Kane and The Shawshank Redemption, to name just two).

I guess my expectations were too high to be fulfilled.

Gosh, Arthur -- If I thought I was going to be thrilled every time I went to a movie . . . I'd be disappointed a lot! (My own batting average is not all that hot!) If you want to see John Cusack in a better film, try "High Fidelity." Funny. Funny. And what a great proposal -- made MY little heart beat, I'll tell you! Maybe that's what we all want, men and women both -- not to get hurt and not to be bored. Imagine being stuck with somebody who bored you all the time . . . shudder.
But the effectiveness of the scene was thanks to the writer. Cusack gets credit for doing a good job of being wierdly adorable, but it was the copy that made it grrrrrreat.
(Anyway, I was not mad. Just disagreed with you about that film.)

Love to all,
Jozie

Thanks for the reply, Jozie (and sorry it took me so long; I was on vacation).

Yeah, I guess I may have been a little harsh on the movie - after all, it's just supposed to be fun. I've seen Cusack in better roles (e.g. Being John Malkovich), but I haven't seen High Fidelity yet. I definitely want to see it though, as I have a lot of friends who like it.

Oh, and I also still have to see Say Anything, which is directed by one of my favorite directors, Cameron Crowe.

Hi Art --
Haven't seen that. But did see & like "Almost Famous." Wasn't that supposed to be him as a kid? Cute kid. Cute girls. Is that why all the guys want to be rock musicians? To get girls? Hmmm hard on the Commodity.

Just saw ... oh -- the one with DeNiro & Brando and cute whatzizname (oops! Commodity talk there) the nuvie about the robbers in Canada. Neat plan; grim McGuffin. Guy movie all the way. Gosh, though I hate having to root for the bad guys! Why to all the hollywoodies want us to sympathize with the murderers and cannibals and thieves! Aren't there enough goodguys to go around? I want to think there are!

Any opinions on that subject?

Love,

Jozie

Hi Jozie,

Yes, that was supposed to be him as a kid; Crowe wrote articles for Rolling Stone when he was 15. My uncle once met him at a party at Nancy Wilson's house (Nancy Wilson being the lead singer of Heart). So the story was semi-autobiographical, with Stillwater being based on Led Zeppelin and several other bands. I think the only real person in the movie (with the same name) was Lester Bangs.

Yes, getting cute girls is most likely one reason a lot of guys want to be rock musicians. Of course, I doubt most of the girls are as good looking as Kate Hudson.

I think the movie you're talking about is The Score, and the other actor is Edward Norton. Dang, that's another movie I have to see. The only times I can think of that Hollywood tries to romanticize villians is when the movie is about the Mafia, Hannibal Lecter, or the Marquis de Sade. Actually, there's probably a lot more, but I can't think of them at the moment. I guess they do that because we sometimes WANT to root for villainy; it gives us a feeling of adventure. The psychology of it is along the same lines as sexual taboos.

Hi Art and all --
But there are a bunch of movies that want us to root for the badguys. Even Grosse Point Blank, which I said elsewhere I thought was funny. And Pulp Fiction which GPB was a takeoff on -- I know dont'useaprepositiontoendasentencewith I do it anyway) How about the Great Nick Cage in Gone in 60?
And it's not new, either. Think of all the zillions of adorable-bank-robber movies and charming-jewel-thief movies and films noire in which the hero is on the shady side of the law. (Weren't there a bunch of movies with Cary Grant playing against various classy ladies like Audrey Hepburn and Princess Grace to name two in which he was a daring rascal? And one I saw on cable the other night with -- a switch -- Audrey Hepburn and her bug-eyed father being the perps? And that good-looking lowlife Peter O'Toole back when he was still beautiful?) The badguys are desirable hunks you want to take home with you and the goodbuys are borrrr-ing!
So anyway, I like a lot of those moves, but I always feel vaguely immoral when I do. That's all,
Love to all --
Jozie

P.S. -- I mean boring in the films. Because I really like goodguys in real life. How not?
xxx
j

Now With Moveable Parts
I don't know what drew me to post here,I guess because I wanted to see if anyone else liked the soundtrack.I agree the movie wasn't exactly the best one around ,but I really liked the soundtrack,bought it even.I like that song by david Bowie and Queen,Under Pressure.I also like Blister in the Sun.Good stuff if you are an 80's fan like me.It made me sad to read you find Joan Cusak annoying,I think she's sweet,both her and John were in High Fedelity,a great movie like jozie said.

I have to say, I liked it. It was a "fun" movie. For a few reasons:

* Cusack is absolutely ridiculous as a hitman. I mean, look at that babyface! He doesn't look like he could step on a roach without remorse, much less casually off someone while talking with his sister (secretary) over the phone.

* The writing is dopey. I mean: "I wish I brought my gun." "What?" "I mean, this should be FUN!" It's just silly enough to laugh at. They exploit their material (hitmen) to good effect, I think.

* Absurd violence. The ending shootout was pretty funny to me, because it was so over-the-top, and because Aykroyd (sp) goes "Popcorn!" (or something) before getting his head slammed into a TV. That sort of thing was absurdly fnuny to me, at least before I started taking violence seriously.

So I guess I really agree with you that it was good as a "fun", lighthearted movie.

Beware the Moon
Okay so it isn't really anything special but it's still an entertaining film and does have some good points. There is a more in depth review available on Logan and Glitz's Movie Page if anyone is interested.

A late thank-you to sades and sullivan for agreeing with me. Okay, it was a stupid movie idea, but I like the Cusaks and I did laugh like a maniac a lot while I watched it. (Also I'm glad somebody else liked Hi Fidelity. What a great proposal!)
Love 2 all
Jozie